This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The problem with games today.

#1kingofall214Posted 3/21/2013 9:49:56 PM
Warning: long post.

So I just recently beat the new Tomb Raider and I am currently playing Max Payne 3. I am also playing a little bit of Tomb Raider Anniversary.

While playing these games I found that I enjoyed Tomb Raider Anniversary way more than I enjoyed Tomb Raider reboot. I also found I enjoyed Max Payne 1 more than I am currently enjoying Max Payne 3. (I haven't played 2 yet but I might stop 3 for now and jump into 2) Also I played Max Payne for the 1st time a few months ago so it's not nostalgia.

So I thought to myself why is that? Why am I enjoying these older games more than the newer ones? So I thought long about it and have come to a simple conclusion.

It seems as franchises become more main stream they become Hollywood-Ized. It seems games today want to be a blockbuster movie more than they want to be games. They want to look gritty and realistic but it ends up hurting the game play in some cases.

One of the things I noticed with both Max Payne 3 and Tomb raider is that when the games are shooting for a realistic look it ends up looking bad. Not that the graphics are bad in themselves (there not) it just that they use realistic environments and that kind of sucks because realistic amazon in the dark is hard to see. Smoggy New York (GTA 4 is what I am thinking about here) Looks like crap. I preferred GTA 3 much more visually.

My point being that things that are hard to see suck when it comes to games. I don't care if it's more realistic or not. When I am playing a game I love it when I can easily look at something and identify it quickly. Sly Cooper is one of my favorite series because of how simple yet good looking the visuals are. No dark browns or deep blacks (I don't even know what that is) hiding objects. No looking at something for over a second and saying "what is that? Is that a barrel? Is that an enemies head or a bottle? Everything is so bright in clean in that series and I love it.

Then there is the story in games today. A great story in a game is awesome. I love a good story in my game. However, I do not want to sit there for 5 minutes plus watching a damn cut scene unless it's the intro or ending. Especially when something being done in a cut scene can be done in game. But games today seem intent on shoving the story down your throat with damn cut scenes. Tell it with voice overs whenever possible should be a developers motto.

There are a few games that try hard to be a huge blockbuster and are amazing. This is usually because the game play is amazing as well as the story and graphics. However a lot of other games try to be epic and end up not being so which makes the game worse then if it just tried to keep it simple and focus on the game play.

Gameplay should be 1st and foremost. Not graphics. Not story.

Anyway I wanted to see how other people feel about this. Do you agree with anything I said? Disagree? What are your reasons?

TLDR version

There is no TLDR version. I would like to have a good conversation with fellow Gamefaq-ians. A good conversation needs a solid talking point. That requires a few paragraphs.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#2boredofyouPosted 3/21/2013 10:38:09 PM
I can agree with some of this.
I tried out Ni No Kuni recently at the little mom n pop shop nearby and the intro/cutscenes and beginning took so long, my legs got tired standing in front of the demo setup! I know, jrpg, supposed to be a long intro period but 20 mins and no taste of the combat system!? C'mon!

I also felt the Tomb Raider reboot was gonna be a play n trade away experience because it did feel like a playable movie more than a game.
Before folks get their e-knickers in a knot, I'm not knocking anyone who digs it, I just wasn't down.

In fact many games this Gen have had the playable movie feel to them! I always chalked it up to a graphics over game play philosophy by the game creators but maybe your description fits better though..

I must also temper the above with the fact that, to me, Journey was completely a playable movie! I mean jump, walk and one 'cry out' ability is about as playable movie as you can get.. But I love the experience that game provided me and feel that it was one of the better experiences this Gen.

So, I do not protest the whole idea of playable movie.. More over, as others have said many times, the need for AAA blockbuster status out of everything that comes out.

Why must every game be GotY!? In gens previous, games filled niches and that was fine! They didn't have to break records and those companies that made them thrived. Now it seems you have to go for broke (possibly bankrupting your company) and spend millions of dollars.. Yet many gamers feel games made this way pale in comparison to titles made during the days of lower budget projects.

How can the industry have lost sight of this?
---
If you fell for it, it isn't cheap. It is just something that works on you. Adapt.. Or curl up in the fetal position, your call.
#3dzehn13Posted 3/21/2013 11:15:28 PM
I kind of agree. Looks like these days developer is not trying to make game anymore, they are trying to make interactive movie. Especially in action games.
---
#4kingofall214(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 11:23:39 PM
boredofyou posted...
I can agree with some of this.
I tried out Ni No Kuni recently at the little mom n pop shop nearby and the intro/cutscenes and beginning took so long, my legs got tired standing in front of the demo setup! I know, jrpg, supposed to be a long intro period but 20 mins and no taste of the combat system!? C'mon!

I also felt the Tomb Raider reboot was gonna be a play n trade away experience because it did feel like a playable movie more than a game.
Before folks get their e-knickers in a knot, I'm not knocking anyone who digs it, I just wasn't down.

In fact many games this Gen have had the playable movie feel to them! I always chalked it up to a graphics over game play philosophy by the game creators but maybe your description fits better though..

I must also temper the above with the fact that, to me, Journey was completely a playable movie! I mean jump, walk and one 'cry out' ability is about as playable movie as you can get.. But I love the experience that game provided me and feel that it was one of the better experiences this Gen.

So, I do not protest the whole idea of playable movie.. More over, as others have said many times, the need for AAA blockbuster status out of everything that comes out.

Why must every game be GotY!? In gens previous, games filled niches and that was fine! They didn't have to break records and those companies that made them thrived. Now it seems you have to go for broke (possibly bankrupting your company) and spend millions of dollars.. Yet many gamers feel games made this way pale in comparison to titles made during the days of lower budget projects.

How can the industry have lost sight of this?

That last paragraph really sums up my view on it. Companies are risking all this money on being a AAA game and end up falling short. There needs to be more games that don't focus on graphics and work with a smaller budget and try and sell a smaller amount of games. It really seems like a game needs to be ether AAA or indie. The in between seems to have vanished this gen.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#5The_AkxsionPosted 3/21/2013 11:40:21 PM
I have been screaming the same thing as you for a while now about modern games. QTEs, set pieces, linear corridor hallway cinematic movie crap...DOES NOT BELONG IN MY GAMES!

I want some game in my game.
---
BACK IN AKXSION beby! Back by popular demand!
Do you even lift? I lift.
#6boredofyouPosted 3/21/2013 11:42:16 PM
Yeah, and look where it gets them. THQ used to be a solid company from way back. Rare?? Even up and comers from just last Gen, like Bioware seem to have fallen by the wayside..

Some have vanished altogether, some have been purchased by larger companies but most of those acquisitions have seemed like negative to the gaming community. Remember back when a big development house purchased a smaller company and we all cheered because it meant a better product was gonna come out?? Now, unless its Sony themselves purchasing, we only hope the IP doesn't get forgotten or slapped down to handheld only status! Ogrebattle anyone?

Factor in the hits the used game market is taking (online pass etc) and gamers own infighting (casual vs hardcore etc) and this industry is bleeding out pretty badly. I wonder how long the big companies like EA, Capcom and Square can keep themselves above water doing business the same way? We've had a whole extended Gen of this and the social media aspects being touted only seem to offer more of the same as far as I can see..

I'm actually a little sad to see things this way.
---
If you fell for it, it isn't cheap. It is just something that works on you. Adapt.. Or curl up in the fetal position, your call.