This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PSN download speed

#1steker16Posted 3/22/2013 5:22:42 AM
why is this so trash? i can download any PC game on steam at like 2 mb/s all day long with no issue, i make a digital PS3 purchase and its goes slow as crap telling me it will take 1800+min(i lol @ the fact it cant just do the conversion to hours at that point, but whatever) my PS3 is hooked up to my router with Ethernet, how can i get the PS3 to actually download as good as i know my connection can?
---
do you like Mobas? check out smite. a 3rd person style moba from Hirez studios http://tinyurl.com/cfyu382
#2LuminescentRulePosted 3/22/2013 5:33:05 AM
What speed do you get?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#3soulegion08Posted 3/22/2013 5:34:03 AM
uhh i dont have this problem, granted my internet isnt great but I can download a 1.8gb fine in 24 minutes if im not streaming videos or doing anything at the time, if youre trying to buy a game consider how large that file is... a 5-6 gb game is gonna take you a long while... and thats routed. if its a problem leave the download on over the night and in the morning it'll be done, not like its going anywhere lol
---
PSN:SSoul0
I play video games!
#4DarkSymbiotePosted 3/22/2013 5:39:13 AM
PSN doesn't take full advantage of your speed. Usually.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#5EventualDeclinePosted 3/22/2013 5:42:33 AM
It's true, PSN is pretty slow compared to the speeds I get from torrents and various websites. PSN files download for me at about 1MB per second. Normally that's pretty decent, but for huge game downloads that are sometimes over 10 GB and beyond, that's not fast enough. It should be going about twice that, that's the top speeds I get on my PC, about 2 or 2.5 MB per second.

I just downloaded Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade yesterday, and that game is f***ing 18 GB (I don't understand why that game is so big). It took me all day to download that in the background, and I have a very good connection.
---
"High speed progress, step by step, into a trap....."
#6steker16(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 5:44:15 AM(edited)
What speed do you get?

where does it even show your specific speed. i dont know what its actually going at, but its CLEARLY not going at what my connection is capable of

im downloading MLB 13 the show, and the entire thing is something like 21gigs. at this rate it will take 2 days to download, thats completely unacceptable as i can download any game i want on PC in ~30min
---
do you like Mobas? check out smite. a 3rd person style moba from Hirez studios http://tinyurl.com/cfyu382
#7EventualDeclinePosted 3/22/2013 6:06:16 AM
steker16 posted...
where does it even show your specific speed. i dont know what its actually going at, but its CLEARLY not going at what my connection is capable of

im downloading MLB 13 the show, and the entire thing is something like 21gigs. at this rate it will take 2 days to download, thats completely unacceptable as i can download any game i want on PC in ~30min

You can pretty much figure out your speed by seeing how long it takes to go to the next MB. Mine goes up 1 MB roughly every second, so that's how I know that. As for your issue, if it's really going to take 2 days to download that file, then that is in fact pretty slow, even by PSN standards. Maybe it's your wifi. Also, there's no way you'd download 21 gigs in about 30 minutes, not even on super fast connections. Even getting that much in 1 hour would be a miracle. Most PC games aren't over 10GB or so, that's another reason those go quicker. Developers cram as much stuff into PS3 games as they can, since they have all that extra blu ray space.

As I mentioned, yesterday I downloaded an 18 GB game and that took me around 8 hours or so downloading in the background, so you're looking at something like that for your download. I would recommend pausing it or something, and then just leaving it on overnight while you sleep, and also setting your PS3 to shut off after the download.
---
"High speed progress, step by step, into a trap....."
#8steker16(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 6:32:45 AM
well i didnt mean i get 21gigs in 30min on pc, i meant i get an average Pc game in 30min, which would mean if i was downloading 21gigs of PC games it would still only take like 2 hours or so complete, but even if it took longer it wouldnt be anywhere near what the PSN is taking to get me this. and im not even hooked up on wireless so that shouldnt be an issue,i know sometimes that can cause slower speeds, but my PS3 connection is wired

i'm just gonna leave the PS3 on all day, i dont plan on doing anything on it until the game is done anyway, its just completely dumb that it goes this slow when i know for a fact i can download this much data at a way faster rate if it was through my PC
---
#9CitizenCraigPosted 3/22/2013 6:41:34 AM
In the PS3 settings where you set up your internet connection, do a speed test and tell us your results. If you have your PS3 set to "Wireless" (instead of "Wired") even though you have an ethernet cable hooked up, you're gonna look foolish.

I don't have a speed problem with my PS3. I have an ethernet connection from my PS3 to my router as well, and it goes just as fast as the connection to my PC.
---
For PS3 trophy stats, submit your PSN to:
psnprofiles.com & psntrophyleaders.com