This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people like FFX, and yet hate FFXIII?

#21kaiser ryuPosted 3/23/2013 8:51:05 PM
All FFs have linear plots, what they did well was mask their linearity in optional content along the way. FFX did less than, say, FFIX to mask its linearity, but it still did things to mask it. Optional content and nominal options in the paths you could take in areas, secrets and the like, towns to take breaks in, NPCs to interact with, it all contributed to masking the tube you were running down. FFXIII brings their linear nature to the forefront, even made it a key focus.

FFXIII is Tubecrawling: The Game. Next to zero optional content, nearly no breaks in the fighting makes the tube you're grinding down all the more painfully obvious. FFXIII is a finely tuned combat engine showcased in a tube broken up with occasional cutscenes. This was too much of a transition from past core design philosophies for many to handle. If you must, FFX was pushing it, FFXIII was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#22mistermikeymikePosted 3/23/2013 8:52:17 PM
Its nostalgia really. FFX was a big steaming pile as far as a pure game goes. FFXIII is the same.

FFX had a really good ending though that left a lasting impression upon fans everywhere. It redeemed a lot of the bad parts of it.

FFXIII was just a big steaming pile throughout
---
You do not have a waifu.
#23dacekidPosted 3/23/2013 8:56:34 PM
Here is a map of FF13, warning this might spoil the game if you haven't played it yet.

The end.
---
Here lies the graves of gamefaq users pwn'd by dacekid. May they rest in peace: RyuuHou25
#24demesjos2Posted 3/23/2013 8:58:44 PM
the sphere grid was far superior than that stupid mmo riping off crystal job wannabe crap that was ff 13.
#25Seele_vPosted 3/23/2013 9:06:07 PM
Yeah the advanced sphere grid was REALLY linear...
#26PlaysOnEasyModePosted 3/23/2013 9:09:00 PM
I did like FFX's gameplay much more.
-You had complete control of the entire party, unlike FF13 where you only controlled one.
--The death of the party leader in FF13 meant Game Over. Oh well... let's just forget about the other 2 party members who are still alive.
-It didn't take too long to acquire most of your party (just missing Rikku). You could switch party members when Lulu, Yuna, and Kimahri joined. In FF13, they spent about 8-9 chapters being separated so you had no control on who your party members were.

Aside from that, the Spira we explored had more life to it than Cocoon. TOWNS. Inns. Locals to talk to. In FFX, you had these places to break the pace of the game, allowing you to rest for a bit. In FF13, you're only break was a cutscene and Nautilus.
#27DarkArithmeticPosted 3/23/2013 9:27:21 PM
I like both story-wise,
I like the battle system in FFX more,
I like the characters in FFX more
I actually used the Aeons, never used the summons in FFXIII,
I like the music more in FFX,
I liked the overdrive skills, and the different ways you could get overdrive too, or the overdrive types.
I liked the way you upgrade equipment in FFXIII, but that was about it.
I didn't hate FFXIII but it's not on my favorite game list.
---
Black 2 FC: 1679-2467-8932
#28theofficefan99Posted 3/23/2013 9:42:52 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
JiZamez posted...
lol @ all the complaints followed by "the combat is better" in FFX, which is complete crap.

Fighting in FF13, staggering and maintaining juggles is one of the most enjoyable things about the game, hands down, ESPECIALLY as of chapter 10.

Also, Masashi Hamauzu's soundtrack for FF13 was fantastic, hell, listen to ANY game he's composed for. And just so you know, he composed/co-composed songs for FFX.

J-Pop in an RPG is fantastic to you?

No wonder you think FFXIII is good. Eesh. Tell your folks I'm sorry.

The only "j-pop" songs in the game are Sunleth Waterscape and Cocoon de Chocobo, what the hell are you talking about?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#29The_AkxsionPosted 3/23/2013 9:46:27 PM
JiZamez posted...
lol @ all the complaints followed by "the combat is better" in FFX, which is complete crap.

Fighting in FF13, staggering and maintaining juggles is one of the most enjoyable things about the game, hands down, ESPECIALLY as of chapter 10.

FFXIII has the worst combat in any ff game by far. it is so boring and you don't even control other party members directly.

ATB turn based is far better than the sucky combat in xiii that didn't require any strategy or thinking. FFX's combat is far better than poopy ffxiii combat.
---
BACK IN AKXSION beby! Back by popular demand!
Do you even lift? I lift.
#30legionofpancakePosted 3/23/2013 9:46:39 PM
Never played XIII and really have no desire to. From what I remember about FFX, that game had a lot of character. It had a deep story, some pretty nice characters and- at the time- amazing visuals, and an ending that was just awesome.
---
Well, Courtney Gears didn't seem to mind.
Sonic for Hire= Greatest web series I've ever seen.