This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people like FFX, and yet hate FFXIII?

#31theofficefan99Posted 3/23/2013 10:02:59 PM(edited)
dacekid posted...
Not...sure...if...serious

FF10 is the best FF I've played while FF13 is the worst...it also has the worst battle system, a very stupid plot that I do not understand and no side things to do...sounds nothing like FF10 to me...oh yeah, the summons suck too.

U mad TC? U wanna do something about that?

How was it the worst battle system?

I honestly do not understand how people can say X's battle system was great and XIII's was horrible. X's battle system was as ordinary as it gets with turn-based. ***PLEASE NOTE THAT I LOVE FINAL FANTASY X***

With Final Fantasy XIII, you need to actually time your attacks so that you can stagger opponents, and you need to time your attacks so that the enemy stays juggled in the air. You need to frequently switch between paradigms in order to accommodate for the situation at hand. The game forces you to balance melee and magic attacks, as both are crucial to kill the enemies efficiently. If you're going to whine about auto-battle, well, then, that's your fault, especially considering that there are benefits to using manual, such as learning the intricacies of each ability. In previous FF's, there was no need to use Fire if you had Fira. In FFXIII, even post-game, there are different situations where Fire, Fira and Flamestrike work best. Fire boosts the stagger gauge by a lot, but it's with a single enemy. Fira boosts the stagger gauge a regular amount, but it's with potentially a ton of enemies. Flamestrike boosts the stagger gauge a regular amount for a single enemy, but it also deals a decent amount of physical damage as well.

Case in point, XIII's battles have a lot of strategy and a surprising amount of depth. It's not your fault you didn't explore or fully understand the battle system.

The story making "no sense" is your fault only. Until the finale, everything is clearly explained in the cutscenes, and some things are beaten over the head, such as how l'Cie's, fal'Cie's, and Cie'th's work. If you didn't understand it, it's your own damn fault. The only needlessly convoluted and poorly written part of the game is the finale, and that's because it uses quite a few Deus Ex Machinas with little to no foreshadowing.

There were over 60 hunts to complete in Gran Pulse.

The Eidolons were very useful if you used them correctly. Each Eidolon has an elemental affinity, and if you use them when the time is right, they can deal massive damage and stagger the enemy effectively. Even when the time isn't right, they fully revive and heal your entire party.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#32medmusclePosted 3/23/2013 9:56:32 PM
The story in FF10 was WAY better than FF13. In 10, you have drama between the characters and budding relationships. The characters felt polished and real. In 13, it is ALL about the rebellion and nothing else except for maybe a cutscene or two with Snow and Serah, but Serah wasn't even a main character in 13 so that doesn't really count. The characters in 13 just weren't very fleshed out.

Yes, 10 was linear, but you could go back to ANYWHERE you were at in the past. In 13, you can only go back to about the half-way point. Everything before that was gone.

The aeons in 10 were extremely useful in battling the immensely powerful monters with the monster breeder guy. In 13, the summons were weak, almost useless, and resembled Transformers robots instead of being like real beasts.

I don't hate 13, but it's in the bottom half of the games in the series for me.
---
If you want to see FF Type-0 localized, put it in your sig and go here to sign: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/project-crystallis.html
#33theofficefan99Posted 3/23/2013 10:00:36 PM
PlaysOnEasyMode posted...
I did like FFX's gameplay much more.
-You had complete control of the entire party, unlike FF13 where you only controlled one.
--The death of the party leader in FF13 meant Game Over. Oh well... let's just forget about the other 2 party members who are still alive.
-It didn't take too long to acquire most of your party (just missing Rikku). You could switch party members when Lulu, Yuna, and Kimahri joined. In FF13, they spent about 8-9 chapters being separated so you had no control on who your party members were.

Aside from that, the Spira we explored had more life to it than Cocoon. TOWNS. Inns. Locals to talk to. In FFX, you had these places to break the pace of the game, allowing you to rest for a bit. In FF13, you're only break was a cutscene and Nautilus.

Most of your complaints are understandable and I completely respect them. However:

1. Yes, I agree that the game should have had gambits for AI party members, along with the ability to leader switch. However, did you really expect the ability to control all three party members at once? By the end of the game, you have up to 6 command chains. That's the equivalent of 6 party members.

2. So what? How come no one complained about this in Persona 3? >.>

Anyways, really, why is this a complaint? The game already fully heals you after every battle, the game offers save points every 5-10 minutes, and the game gives you an infinite amount of retries with each battle. It's very player-friendly. If you die, most battles shouldn't take more than 2 minutes if you're playing properly, so it really is not a big deal.

I agree that you should have at least had the ability to control who you wanted to when the party was split up, and I can't argue about the whole towns thing. I loved running around in Nautilus. I wish there were more instances like this, and I wish we could go back to these places, talk to people, explore, etc. etc.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#34king_maddenPosted 3/23/2013 10:07:06 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
dacekid posted...

FF10 is the best FF I've played while FF13 is the worst...it also has the worst battle system, a very stupid plot that I do not understand and no side things to do...sounds nothing like FF10 to me...oh yeah, the summons suck too.

I honestly do not understand how people can say X's battle system was great and XIII's was horrible. X's battle system was as ordinary as it gets with turn-based.

With Final Fantasy XIII, you need to actually time your attacks so that you can stagger opponents, and you need to time your attacks so that the enemy stays juggled in the air. You need to frequently switch between paradigms in order to accommodate for the situation at hand. The game forces you to balance melee and magic attacks, as both are crucial to kill the enemies efficiently. If you're going to whine about auto-battle, well, then, that's your fault, especially considering that there are benefits to using manual, such as learning the intricacies of each ability. In previous FF's, there was no need to use Fire if you had Fira. In FFXIII, even post-game, there are different situations where Fire, Fira and Flamestrike work best. Fire boosts the stagger gauge by a lot, but it's with a single enemy. Fira boosts the stagger gauge a regular amount, but it's with potentially a ton of enemies. Flamestrike boosts the stagger gauge a regular amount for a single enemy, but it also deals a decent amount of physical damage as well.

Case in point, XIII's battles have a lot of strategy and a surprising amount of depth. It's not your fault you didn't explore or fully understand the battle system.

The story making "no sense" is your fault only. Until the finale, everything is clearly explained in the cutscenes, and some things are beaten over the head, such as how l'Cie's, fal'Cie's, and Cie'th's work. If you didn't understand it, it's your own damn fault. The only needlessly convoluted and poorly written part of the game is the finale, and that's because it uses quite a few Deus Ex Machinas with little to no foreshadowing.

The Eidolons were very useful if you used them correctly. Each Eidolon has an elemental affinity, and if you use them when the time is right, they can deal massive damage and stagger the enemy effectively. Even when the time isn't right, they fully revive and heal your entire party.

all of that was stuff you COULD do, but it was in no way stuff you HAD to do. you didnt have to "frequently" switch paradigms, you could get through the majority of the game using maybe 2 or 3 setups. most rpgs you usually need to mix magic and physical to take advantage of weaknesses. just because you could use different types of fire doesnt mean it was necessary. I dont consider any FF battle system to be deep or require a lot of strategy, you want something that requires strategy go play resonance of fate. just because an rpg lists sooo many ways to do something doesnt make it complex, a lot of rpgs and games have numerous ways or attacks or spells you can use, FF13 system was nothing special, and on top of that it was an easy game.

i didnt find the story confusing, it felt more like they were trying to hard to be deep and emotional and it just came off as desperate.

im not saying you're wrong for liking the game, or the system, but to state things as if they are fact is the issue here. all you did was break down the game as simple as possible to make it sound more in depth, you can do that with just about any game.

Im probably one of the least skilled players when it comes to rpg battle systems like 12 and 13 had, but I had no problem breezing my way through 13.
#35theofficefan99Posted 3/23/2013 10:24:29 PM
king_madden posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
dacekid posted...

I honestly do not understand how people can say X's battle system was great and XIII's was horrible. X's battle system was as ordinary as it gets with turn-based.

With Final Fantasy XIII, you need to actually time your attacks s...

i didnt find the story confusing, it felt more like they were trying to hard to be deep and emotional and it just came off as desperate.

im not saying you're wrong for liking the game, or the system, but to state things as if they are fact is the issue here. all you did was break down the game as simple as possible to make it sound more in depth, you can do that with just about any game.

Im probably one of the least skilled players when it comes to rpg battle systems like 12 and 13 had, but I had no problem breezing my way through 13.

Yes, if you want to make the battles boring for yourself, then, by all means, do so. The game encourages efficiency by awarding extra rare items for 5-starring fights, as well as casting Doom when you take too long in a boss battle.

Yes, you did need to frequently switch if you wanted to be efficient. You can technically go through the whole game with COM/SEN/MED, but is that ideal? No, because even regular encounters will take 5+ minutes. COM and RAV are essential at all times because balancing the two is the only way to stagger an opponent. MED is obviously crucial because that's the only way to recover your health, and if your leader dies, it's Game Over. SYN and SAB are incredibly useful for shelled monsters, Velocycles, and basically any enemy with high defense or high HP but they have certain status effects they are vulnerable to, as they make the entire fight much more manageable. SENs are useful when you need to guard against powerful attacks, such as the Behemoth's "Heave," and the Velocycle's charged attack.

Resonance of Fate's battles certainly have depth and the game is hard as **** but I don't consider it a good battle system based on the fact that it's the same from beginning to end, the defense system is terrible, and switching targets during Hero mode is a nightmare. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria has a far better battle system, in my opinion.

The only way this failed was with Lightning's "we are just pets" scene, along with Hope's story arc with him blaming Snow for his mom's death. The rest was very believable.

Not really. No other FF requires timing and I stated how the abilities work differently than with previous FF's to show that it's better to control the game manually. I also stated that the game encourages efficiency through the star ratings and bosses casting "Doom" if you take too long.
---
#36AlltraPosted 3/23/2013 10:31:03 PM(edited)
It's simple really.

FFX and FFXIII are similar in their Linearity, but FFX has far more content, more variety of content, and allows the player more freedom to explore that content.

...and I don't even like FFX all that much anyway because it's the FFXIII of the first 10 entries in the series. Lack of content, lack of variety of content, and lack of freedom to explore that content compared to previous entries.

FFX and FFXIII are my least favorite entries in the series, hell even FFII and FFVIII I like more, and FFII sucks.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
#37NeoGeoXSegaPosted 3/23/2013 10:29:13 PM
Final Fantasy X does a much better job of disguising it's linearity than XIII..

Exactly.
I mean it took you within 2-4 hours of FFX to be in control of all of your main party.
It took 18+ hours for FFXIII.
---
"gone are the days of creativity, and playing japanese games because you secretly wish you were japanese" -CinisterX
#38Flare1721Posted 3/23/2013 10:29:28 PM
This question is asked weekly. Look it up next time.
---
Best Boss Battle Ever Xemnas- KH2, Long Live Mega Man Legends 3!
PSN: Strife1721
#39SolidLiquid25Posted 3/23/2013 11:11:41 PM
Thamauturge posted...
Seriously, FFX is literally FFXIII-lite. It has almost all of the same flaws that XIII does; extremely linear world that isn't open to exploration, horribly stupid storyline and absurd character designs. The only thing substantially better about FFX is its actual combat, but thats it.

The way you put it makes it sound like they are somewhat similar but FFX crushes 13 plain and simple.
---
------------------------------
#40digitalwill2000Posted 3/23/2013 11:12:59 PM
Ffx = good, character development, interesting plot, pilgrimage feel, good characters, tactical battles

Ffxiii = none of the above. Terrible.
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...