This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't really get why people bash people who want dual audio in games.

#41Black_AssassinPosted 3/24/2013 8:57:51 AM(edited)
DragoonGriffith posted...
What people don't realise is that Japanese VA's sign a contract with which they don't allow their voices to be used in International releases outside of Japan.
Not all, but most do.

So if most VA's prohibit it, then why are 99% of anime series licensed for overseas distribution coming with a Japanese audio track?

Before you refer to the recent NeoGaf topic, the employee there only said that some might do that.
---
lowercase
#42DragoonGriffithPosted 3/24/2013 9:07:48 AM
Black_Assassin posted...

So if most VA's prohibit it, then why are 99% of anime series licensed for overseas distribution coming with a Japanese audio track?

Before you refer to the recent NeoGaf topic, the employee there only said that some might do that.

Because the companies have to pay the VAs to use their voices on products distributed outside of Japan.

Now take a company that doesn't earn much money from overseas sales to begin with and add the cost of localizing with paying off the JP VAs to use their voices, and it comes out as being not profitable for the game company.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ugfYWuG.gif
#43Black_AssassinPosted 3/24/2013 9:30:02 AM
I wasn't arguing against the cost effectiveness, I was questioning your claim that most VA's don't want overseas usage.
---
lowercase
#44zyxomma100Posted 3/24/2013 9:31:48 AM(edited)
Nothing wrong with dual audio. If it's there, great! If not, I understand. It's an increased cost for the company. I'll still use English voices, though.

What I do have a problem with are people who insist on using Japanese voices because they think it's more sophisticated, or because it makes them a more hardcore fan, or whatever, even if they don't understand a damn word of the language. But even this I can tolerate. It's a free country.

What I can't stand are those who actually pirate (and refuse to buy) games that have been localized simply because the developer didn't want to or couldn't afford to include Japanese voices in the localization.

The people who fall into one of those two categories far outnumber the people who have a legitimate reason to want dual audio.
#45cirkmetroidPosted 3/24/2013 10:11:23 AM
If a character is clearly Japanese and it would make more sense for them to speak Japanese, then by all means, their voice acting should be in Japanese.

I mean come on, is Ryu Hayabusa going to speak Japanese? Yes he is!
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
Hey look, there are game specific forums, your game specific questions should be placed there...
#46Devilman_AmonPosted 3/24/2013 1:19:23 PM
cirkmetroid posted...
If a character is clearly Japanese and it would make more sense for them to speak Japanese, then by all means, their voice acting should be in Japanese.

I mean come on, is Ryu Hayabusa going to speak Japanese? Yes he is!

I think thats maybe one of the reasons why Sony has no qualms about Yakuza series not having a dub
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#47A_Nonny_MoosePosted 3/24/2013 2:04:04 PM
I don't care about dual audio as long as the original audio is there.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png