This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NIS Games (Atelier, Hyper DImension)

#1ShirohartPosted 3/24/2013 7:29:40 AM
So I live in Australia and my laptop has just died. Now I've been looking through JB hifi and I keep seeing all these games from NIS suddenly appearing on the shelves. And I mean like 5 different Atelier games.

So what's the deal with all these? Are they decent games and how do they play? Theyre only like $15-$40 each so I was considering one until I sorted out my Laptop
#2DoctorCrabMDPosted 3/24/2013 7:37:29 AM
They're loli games. I'd stay far away from them unless you enjoy perving out on underaged girls.
#3YggdrasillePosted 3/24/2013 7:58:51 AM
The last three Atelier games are decent JRPGs with turn-based combat, time management and a deep synthesis system.
---
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Ygdrasille.png
Waiting for: Bioshock Infinite, Beyond: Two Souls, Tales of Xillia, Ninja Gaiden 3: RE, Ys: Memories of Celceta
#4LaevantPosted 3/24/2013 8:06:21 AM(edited)
Very light-hearted JRPGs (they generally don't have a grand save-the-world-from-evil storyline), with an engrossing item- and weapon-creation system. They also feature time limits which can either be very lax or very strict depending on what you're aiming for e.g. best endings and equipment.

They also have a few mildly suggestive scenes that people on GFAQs call paedo-fuel, even though they'd probably be obsessing over similar scenarios if they were done in a non-anime style.

Edit: The above applies to the Atelier series, mind you.
---
MGO (EU): Envirasu [Dream Cats]
#5Kaiser499Posted 3/24/2013 8:10:13 AM
DoctorCrabMD posted...
They're loli games. I'd stay far away from them unless you enjoy perving out on underaged girls.

Typical generalization of a clueless person, don't listen to him.
---
www.twitch.tv/kaiser499
#6SigmaHacielPosted 3/24/2013 8:11:56 AM
Kaiser499 posted...
DoctorCrabMD posted...

Typical generalization of a clueless person, don't listen to him.

Not just clueless. Someone who has clearly perved out on underage girls.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#7JahkeemyorkPosted 3/24/2013 8:12:17 AM
DoctorCrabMD posted...

For the last time Atelier isn't Loli at all, the girls look around 15-17, but more importantly. They don't go groping each other, no scanty clothing, no weird upskirts. Atelier is more of a "for kids under 13" rpg then a "for perverts" rpg
#8KaitoKazePosted 3/24/2013 10:51:10 AM
If you're going to get into Neptunia, I seriously recommend at least STARTING with mk2. The original has no relation to it (so you won't miss anything), and the general opinion is that it was a bad RPG, while mk2 fixed the hell out of that problem.
---
Currently Playing: Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment
Eagerly Awaiting: Tales of Xillia
#9PHEEliNUXPosted 3/24/2013 10:54:46 AM
Atelier are different that your typical JRPGs, They focus on alchemy and synthesizing rather than fighting mobs

HDN games never take themself seriously(Think Earthbound and Disgaea in that part), They are games that make fun of gaming industry and have tons of funny game references
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#10LemonKweenstaaaPosted 3/24/2013 10:58:14 AM
DoctorCrabMD posted...

---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
http://i.imgur.com/RQBXfZH.jpg