This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If PSN, Steam, an Xbox Live disappear...

#1OSG1203Posted 3/24/2013 12:16:30 PM
Will the games you bought on them disappear also?

Sorry if I'm posting this on a PS3 Message Board, I'm a noob right now.
#2NightDrifter05Posted 3/24/2013 12:20:40 PM(edited)
Only game's that would disappear would be the one's that require a active connection. As long as you aren't required to connect online to play it you don't need the online aspect. If you're never tried it you can completely unhook your PS3/360/PC from the internet and play any of your games without it. The only thing that would be 100% gone is the online multiplayer unless they made it where you didn't need a PSN/Steam/XBL connection which is possible.
#3VicsthebestPosted 3/24/2013 12:26:25 PM
You wont be able to re download any of your games in case you deleted em, so if your hard drive gets reformatted you'll never see your games again!
#4zyxomma100Posted 3/24/2013 1:21:25 PM
We're assuming that all 3 of these companies/service died instantly, leaving their services as-is, with no hope of future support.

Of these, Steam is the only one that immediately screws over their customers. Steam requires an online connection on startup, meaning that all of their games instantly become so many gigs of dead file space. There would be a lucky few booted in offline mode at the time this happens, and they're fine as long as they don't run into any problems with their HDD.

XBL escapes most ill effects for the moment. There are probably a few people who don't know any better who are running with unupdated licenses for their games/DLC, and they're immediately locked out of everything they bought. Everyone else is fine for the moment, but if they ever have to replace their HDD or their console, they'll lose access to everything at the time.

I think PSN would work the same as XBL, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
#5Lord_TenseEyePosted 3/24/2013 1:41:09 PM
zyxomma100 posted...
We're assuming that all 3 of these companies/service died instantly, leaving their services as-is, with no hope of future support.

Of these, Steam is the only one that immediately screws over their customers. Steam requires an online connection on startup, meaning that all of their games instantly become so many gigs of dead file space. There would be a lucky few booted in offline mode at the time this happens, and they're fine as long as they don't run into any problems with their HDD.

XBL escapes most ill effects for the moment. There are probably a few people who don't know any better who are running with unupdated licenses for their games/DLC, and they're immediately locked out of everything they bought. Everyone else is fine for the moment, but if they ever have to replace their HDD or their console, they'll lose access to everything at the time.

I think PSN would work the same as XBL, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What's this about "updating licenses" for games and DLC? I've got a few games from games on demand on XBL and some DLC as well.
#6BeknessPosted 3/24/2013 1:43:00 PM
I think that Nintendo have the worst DRM, from what I've heard the things they buy online are tied to the console/handheld.
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#7zyxomma100Posted 3/24/2013 1:59:07 PM
What's this about "updating licenses" for games and DLC? I've got a few games from games on demand on XBL and some DLC as well.

Some people change consoles for whatever reason. (RROD repair in the past, but now usually because upgrading to a Slim.) Because XBL content is tied to the console AND the XBL account (and will work if either is unchanged), some people who are always signed into Live don't realize that their DLC isn't licensed to the console anymore.

If you aren't sure, the simple test is to try to use the content while signed out of Live. If it works, you're good. If not, then you need to update the license. (XBLA games revert to trials, and DLC is just simply unusable.) Google "license transfer."

I'm a comparatively new PS3 owner and so I don't have a perfect grasp of how it handles licenses, but I'd imagine there are similarities.
#8OSG1203(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 2:01:53 PM
So pretty much my downloaded games that don't need an online connection in order to play stay in my HDD forever until the HDD dies right?
#9zyxomma100Posted 3/24/2013 2:07:24 PM
So pretty much my downloaded games that don't need an online connection in order to play stay in my HDD forever until the HDD dies right?

Technically... yes. But everything I said above still applies. Steam becomes unplayable. XBL is playable as long as the console (and the HDD) survives. I think PSN is the same way but I can't confirm.
#10ShineboxerPosted 3/24/2013 2:21:23 PM
I don't care if they do disappear, I don't want a bunch of useless plastic cases in my book shelves. I play my games and that's it. I've thrown games away before, my items don't possess me.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD