This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If PSN, Steam, an Xbox Live disappear...

#11Lord_TenseEyePosted 3/24/2013 4:37:55 PM
zyxomma100 posted...
What's this about "updating licenses" for games and DLC? I've got a few games from games on demand on XBL and some DLC as well.

Some people change consoles for whatever reason. (RROD repair in the past, but now usually because upgrading to a Slim.) Because XBL content is tied to the console AND the XBL account (and will work if either is unchanged), some people who are always signed into Live don't realize that their DLC isn't licensed to the console anymore.

If you aren't sure, the simple test is to try to use the content while signed out of Live. If it works, you're good. If not, then you need to update the license. (XBLA games revert to trials, and DLC is just simply unusable.) Google "license transfer."

I'm a comparatively new PS3 owner and so I don't have a perfect grasp of how it handles licenses, but I'd imagine there are similarities.

So from what I understand, the content will work on your xbox no matter what as long as you bought it on that console. Let's say the console dies and you get a new one. You sign into your old xbl account on the new console and THEN you'd need to do a license transfer.

Correct? I will look more into this matter I think.
#12twa556Posted 3/24/2013 4:41:15 PM
Basically it's like a hurricane.
If you know it's coming you have (for example) a 250GB hard drive. You can download as much as you can before it ends, but if you don't have enough space you're screwed. So you will have to choose what's most important to you.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBnuVfx8uVA&list
Typical example of Anime^
#13kaiser ryuPosted 3/24/2013 4:49:32 PM
Pretty sure Steam comes with the promise of releasing our games to our full control if they ever go under.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#14AnonUnknownPosted 3/24/2013 4:53:43 PM(edited)
Again? You guys talk like it's going to happen at the end of this year of something. Catastrophists these days.

You'll probably lose all interest in videogaming, and retire for good, long before all of them go down forever.
#15Sipher360Posted 3/24/2013 7:01:11 PM
Yeah, I think Steam has a policy that they will provide disc versions of purchased games in the even that they close down.

As for PSN/XBLA....you, my friend, as butted out. I like DD but after this PS4 fiasco, I'm back in the disc camp again. PS4 won't even support PS3 games purchased digitally, last I heard.
---
"Ahk and them never did nothing to me....terrorism is when you hang a * from a tree..." -Grand Puba Maxwell
#16AnonUnknownPosted 3/24/2013 7:03:39 PM
Sipher360 posted...
Yeah, I think Steam has a policy that they will provide disc versions of purchased games in the even that they close down.

No they will provide offline patches, how are they supposed to give physical copies of games released only in digital format?
#17OSG1203(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 8:25:47 AM
I would like to say thank you all for pointing out the facts. I'll keep this message board open for more people to talk.
#18AalviPosted 3/25/2013 9:49:36 AM
PSN denies access to everything because you need activation with a maximum of 2 systems possible.

You can play your stuff offline when activated, but i'm assuming thats psn so the whole verifying system will be down.
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#19Stanger5150Posted 3/25/2013 9:56:36 AM
Bekness posted...
I think that Nintendo have the worst DRM, from what I've heard the things they buy online are tied to the console/handheld.

That's true, and it's f****** awful. It helps that Nintendo builds the most reliable hardware, but there's still no excuse.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Vanquish- PS3, Super Mario Bros. 2- NES