This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How good are the Splinter Cell games compared to Metal Gear Solid series?

#21kloud 11Posted 3/25/2013 5:45:05 PM
From a gameplay perspective I'd say the older Splinter Cells were on par, though much different, with MGS. MGS is superior in every other regard: story, level design, characters, presentation, extras, enemy AI, etc
#22riddlebox89Posted 3/25/2013 5:53:22 PM
kloud 11 posted...
From a gameplay perspective I'd say the older Splinter Cells were on par, though much different, with MGS. MGS is superior in every other regard: story, level design, characters, presentation, extras, enemy AI, etc

Level design, Splinter Cell does it better, different environments for each mission as apposed to one environment for the entire game.

Story, yeah MGS does better at story telling, moving on.

Characters, MGS focuses on over the top characters that you'd find in a super hero comic book movie, Splinter Cell's characters are centered more towards realism.

Presentation, SC's story is more believable than MGS.

Enemy AI, well they're both stupid but MGS's AI is the dumbest, soldier hears a knock on a wall five feet away, goes to look at it, finds nothing and goes back to his patrol instead of alerting his comrades to a possible intruder, something the Splinter Cell enemies do.

Play MGS if you want a better but more over the top story, play Splinter Cell if you want more realistic stealth gameplay.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#23bretnsidPosted 3/25/2013 6:37:03 PM
It's all a matter of opinion, but I personally like the MGS series much more. That's not to say that the Splinter Cell series is bad, however, because they're actually pretty good - I like the different type of stealth gameplay it provides. I like the more vertical stealth (climbing pipes/walls to hide) and using darkness to hide by shooting out lights in the Splinter Cell games. It'd be pretty cool to have future MGS games incorporate that stuff, but I definitely overall prefer MGS' gameplay. It allows more freedom and I like replaying different areas over to find different ways of getting passed or taking out guards. I've never felt compelled to replay anything in Splinter Cell games, even though they are fun the first time.

Also, I know you're talking more about gameplay, but I can't remember a single character other than Sam Fisher and his commander(?), Lambert. The stories are more grounded than MGS but not memorable at all, at least to me.

Level design, Splinter Cell does it better, different environments for each mission as apposed to one environment for the entire game.

MGS 3 and 4 have really varied environments though. Plus, even with MGS 1 and 2 which had less varied environments, they were more interesting and memorable than anything from Splinter Cell. I don't really remember any of the levels in the Splinter Cell games, to be honest.

But to TC : I think the Splinter Cell games are worth a try. Just remember, the first one may seem kind of basic and a little clunkier in its gameplay - it is like a ten year old game.
---
Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots! (4/15/06)
Damn the Patriots! Sneak Out 6.12.08 - SNAAAAKE!
#24velvet_hammerPosted 3/25/2013 6:39:45 PM
clownbox is just a mgs hater.. they both do stealth differently but entering a room full of baddies both games do it well with out being noticed.. and MGS ai is vastly superior. plus SC stole plenty of things from MGS
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#25riddlebox89Posted 3/25/2013 6:43:06 PM
velvet_hammer posted...
clownbox is just a mgs hater.. they both do stealth differently but entering a room full of baddies both games do it well with out being noticed.. and MGS ai is vastly superior. plus SC stole plenty of things from MGS

Point out where I said I hate MGS, also, would I hate MGS if I owned most of the games including the godawful remake? Quit putting words in my mouth kid.
---
#26velvet_hammerPosted 3/25/2013 6:47:10 PM(edited)
riddlebox89 posted...
velvet_hammer posted...

Point out where I said I hate MGS,

are you a simpleton? or just a joke account? probably the later.. these are my words.. YOU, AKA CLOWNBOX ARE A MGS HATER!
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#27riddlebox89Posted 3/25/2013 6:54:11 PM
velvet_hammer posted...
are you a simpleton? or just a joke account? probably the later.. these are my words.. YOU, AKA CLOWNBOX ARE A MGS HATER!

How would you know that if I've never said it? Also why would I buy games I hate? And lol, not much to argue about with a guy who doesn't understand what the term "This game is a flop" means.
---
#28XxD3ADLYXxPosted 3/25/2013 6:57:24 PM
Even If he hates MGS, why does that matter?
#29Thor61Posted 3/25/2013 7:01:25 PM
The 2 series use stealth but they're vastly different kinds of games. MGS is more like an Action tps with stealth elements, Splinter Cell is a true tactical stealth game. This is like comparing Rainbow Six to Call of Duty.
#30Ryan SiPosted 3/25/2013 7:09:32 PM
Eh, their different series really.

Splinter Cell is really all about the stealth. The stories are nothing special and are never really that original. Shadows play a more prominent role and Sam Fisher has more maneuvers. The series is also generally realistic in design.

Metal Gear while obviously stealth-based is as much if not more about the story and characters as the gameplay. Some people like that, some people don't. Series is much more fantasy-based than Splinter Cell. The first three MGS games are true classics in my opinion.
---
Currently Playing: Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC), Retro City Rampage (PC), Stealth Bastard Deluxe (PC)