This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Sony out of debit now?

#1SolnotPosted 3/25/2013 9:00:44 AM
I heard they were loosing a lot of money on the PS3 for the first few years and it caused them to be in serious financial troubles because they had to sell their corporate offices buildings. Have they finally fixed those problems and gotten out of debit now so they can get ready to launch the PlayStation 4 this year?
#2work_a_holicPosted 3/25/2013 9:01:54 AM
Not sure if they are out of trouble, but they are in a better spot than they were previously.
#3BahamutBBobPosted 3/25/2013 9:05:30 AM(edited)
The way I hear it, the PS3 is the only thing keeping Sony alive right now. (obviously not good enough if they have to sell a couple skyscrapers...) Their other divisions are having more trouble than their gaming division.

Consoles almost always are sold at a loss when first released. The company relies on software sales to keep things going until the consoles get cheaper to make than they are sold for.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#4CrimsonGear80Posted 3/25/2013 9:05:02 AM

Is Sony out of debit cards, what?
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#5este914Posted 3/25/2013 9:08:25 AM
I think he meant debt but who knows
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#6CrimsonGear80Posted 3/25/2013 9:14:25 AM
if he means debt, then Sony was never in debt. They may have been losing money in an economy where everyone was losing money, but they didn't own anyone a lot of money to my knowledge.
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#7PStrifePosted 3/25/2013 11:47:20 AM
Sony is still very much in debt, selling off an office building or two only delays the liquid asset to debt ratio. As a whole they have made debt, they also have struggling sectors within their business strategum. Which is still not a problem which has been fixed.

The PS3 may be successfull short-term, but then that short-term victory is hindered by the Vita's costly failures, as well as all the present PS4 development costs which further eat into any profits in this part of that business model.

Alot of things have to be fixed within Sony, hopefully SCE is not being run by yet another idiot within the company with the real release of the PS4. That would just hinder Sony's future further into peril.
#8MlREFOXPosted 3/25/2013 11:49:21 AM
Every public corporation has debt, even the successful ones. Certain ratios like debt to earnings are the more important number than simply looking at debt. Even profit isn't a perfect indicator of corporate success.
#9flame030191Posted 3/25/2013 12:00:11 PM
Sony isn't out of debt yet, but recently they have been making more money than they've spent.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#10params7Posted 3/25/2013 12:54:09 PM
lol debit
---
http://i.imgur.com/HMCI3vM.png