This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I going to get called a noob no matter who I play as in fighting games?

#1656stoogePosted 3/26/2013 2:15:32 AM
I'm trying to get into fighting games at the moment (and get to a decent level skill wise), and I'm finding that everyone i having a go at the characters I choose to play as.
My thought process for selecting what characters to play as is thus: I play as whoever looks cool or interesting (or hot!!!).

So is this just common practice in all fighters, or am I picking the noobiest characters, and if so should earn me a little more respect?

Here's who I play as:

MK9 - Scorpion and Raiden. I've played as these two since the very first game. I picked Scorpion because my brother wouldn't let me play Subzero, and Raiden because I liked how he matched up against Subzero and he looked cool.

Dead or Alive - Helena. She's hot and I like her crouch stance style.

Street Fighter - Vega. He has claws. Claws are cool.

Blazblue - Litchi. She's hot and I like her skill set.

Tekken - Eddy. I once fought the store owner of my local video game shop for 6 hours straight when Tekken 3 came out, and the character I used was Eddy. Since then I've seen no reason to change.

The thing is I've been called a noob for using all of these characters...and it hurts.
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/
#2PHEEliNUXPosted 3/26/2013 2:16:13 AM
You are playing against idiots, That's all
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#3BluBlue4Posted 3/26/2013 2:17:22 AM
PHEEliNUX posted...
You are playing against idiots, That's all

---
For what's it worth, your warning saved me from losing 5 seconds. You're sacrifice will not have been in vain...! - Raycon
#4MrSmadSmartAlexPosted 3/26/2013 2:20:13 AM
Yeah, you'll get called a noob whoever you use, whether you win or lose, whether you vary your moves ("button masher") or stick to an effective strategy ("cheap"). Don't worry about it. Just play however you like and enjoy.

That said, Eddy (in Tekken 3, at least; haven't played any since then) is a button-masher's dream. :D
#5crucadesPosted 3/26/2013 2:23:22 AM
you earn man points for using vega, you deserve a castration for using eddy. In all seriosness though nobody likes to lose fighting games and its easier to rip on your chars/playing style than actually beatin ya in game.
---
psn: crucades
#6DefYouthPosted 3/26/2013 2:33:47 AM
Eddy's a noob's dream. I used to piss everyone off with him. lol
---
"The beautiful ones always smash the picture...always, every time."
#7MrSmadSmartAlexPosted 3/26/2013 2:39:25 AM
The best thing about characters like Eddy is that a noob can only use them effectively against mediocre players, and that's why they get so butthurt about it. An expert wouldn't fall for that stuff.
#8PHEEliNUXPosted 3/26/2013 2:42:10 AM
Oh, And noob to me a compliment, And i suggest in BlazBlue to play as Ragna at least once, I don't see many people using Litchi
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#9656stooge(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 2:43:27 AM
PHEEliNUX posted...
Oh, And noob to me a compliment, And i suggest in BlazBlue to play as Ragna at least once, I don't see many people using Litchi

I'm playing as him in story mode at the moment. Why do you suggest i play as him?
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/
#10SS_MetalSonicPosted 3/26/2013 2:45:18 AM
you're doing fine tc. and the back story to your character selections add validity . that's all you need.
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Sleeping Dogs, Black ops 2, Farcry 3
Forza 4, Rage, InFamous 2, Darksiders 2, Vanquish, NBA2K13, Halo 4, Skyrim, Tomb Raider