This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs failed to reach sales targets.

#1params7Posted 3/26/2013 10:35:53 AM
Square Enix experience losses, their CEO has stepped down also.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/tomb-raider-fails-to-reach-sales-target-6405929

I don't really feel bad for them. Tomb Raider used to be about minimalistic combat and more exploration and adventuring with no hand holding. Now its an Uncharted clone. I haven't played Hitman so I can't comment on that. Sleeping Dogs really deserved more though.
---
http://i.imgur.com/HMCI3vM.png
#2JohnHitman47Posted 3/26/2013 10:40:44 AM
Meh.

Hitman absolution - terrible hitman game.

Tomb raider - don't care too much but if i get it it will be used.

Sleeping dogs - Played on 360.

I was expecting this.
---
Love good shooters and horror.
#3pokemon_45_79_1Posted 3/26/2013 10:40:50 AM
SE was hoping tomb raider was going to save them and shocker it did not from posting a very huge loss for fiscal year 2012, I am laughing so hard right now, I have been saying this for a while.

THey are way late on FFX HD remake, versus is still not out, FFXIV still hasn't released which it should have already. SE blames the west, you know what Se blame yourselfs for your crappy direction you have taken.

I said it before and I will say it again tomb raider suffers from the COD syndrome, SE wants it to sell like COD does, well guess what it doesn't happen like that.

SE stop making your games have the COD syndrome make games they way there were originally designed to be, especially JRPG, stop catering to the west, now that wada is gone they may start catering to the east more like they did in the ps1 and ps2 eras.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#4CrimsonGear80Posted 3/26/2013 10:41:55 AM
Tomb Raider sold 3.5 million copies in 2 weeks and they consider that underperforming??

The game industry needs to get a clue.
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#5Hello_MeloPosted 3/26/2013 10:42:42 AM
If you look at the numbers, Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million in three weeks. Hitman sold 3.6 since November and Sleeping Dogs sold 1.75 since it came out last year. The real question is, what the hell did Square Enix expect? Those are all quality numbers and none of them can be considered flops.
---
I love you.
#6theshovellerPosted 3/26/2013 10:43:03 AM
I think it sucks because it could very well mean the end of Eidos' franchises. Tomb Raider didn't sell well, so why bother making more? Hitman didn't sell well, so why bother making more? Sleeping Dogs didn't sell well, so why bother with new IPs? All that's left are Deus Ex (which if they continue overspending will see the same results as Tomb Raider and Hitman, I.E. good sales but still post at a loss because they spent bat****-crazy amounts of money making them) and Legacy of Kain (which has been in the morgue for a few months now and is starting to stink a bit, like rancid salad dressing mixed with dog feces.)

And this is why having a ginormous budget with games is a bad practice - spend a lot, hope to sell a ludicrous amount of copies to even break even, and when it falls short, kill off the series. It's why we pretty much only see sequels of big-budget games now, or small niche games that have one or two unique entries before being buried and forgotten. If I had to guess, I'd wager the smaller niche JRPGs we get in the West make most of their money in the East, and the cost to translate and localize them is rather small, so bringing it stateside and to Europe has a smaller risk associated with it.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#7params7(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 10:48:16 AM
Hello_Melo posted...
If you look at the numbers, Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million in three weeks. Hitman sold 3.6 since November and Sleeping Dogs sold 1.75 since it came out last year. The real question is, what the hell did Square Enix expect? Those are all quality numbers and none of them can be considered flops.

Here's the thing. Pure cinematic games like Tomb Raider can't be done in cheap and come with huge (50-100 million usd) budgets, without marketing costs which can almost double it easily.

For games like these, 3.5 mill is not enough obviously. Activision would shut down CoD if it did 3.5 mill in 3 weeks. Games with huge budgets require huge sales.
---
http://i.imgur.com/HMCI3vM.png
#8CrimsonGear80Posted 3/26/2013 10:50:58 AM
Pure cinematic games like Tomb Raider can't be done in cheap and come with huge (50-100 million usd)

I highly doubt TR cost 50 million to make, and even if it did 3.5 million sales would easily make back that investment.
---
Glad DmC shipped a million copies and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#9Junpei_StupeiPosted 3/26/2013 10:59:26 AM
Eidos was a bad company to absorb, and this is what they get.

Should have sticked to churning out FF games faster.

---
I think I bought the wrong console this gen.
#10Video_Game_CzarPosted 3/26/2013 11:00:22 AM
CrimsonGear80 posted...
Tomb Raider sold 3.5 million copies in 2 weeks and they consider that underperforming??

The game industry needs to get a clue.

These asses want crazy numbers. They want Call of Duty numbers...Which is freakin' insane. Look at the jag offs over there at Capcom, Thinking DmC was going to sell five million copies...

The year is far from over, Tomb Raider will sell another two by years end if not more...But they want more still.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar