This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about storage... What's safe to delete and what isn't?

#1Mystery_CooperPosted 3/26/2013 6:28:33 PM
I intend on getting PSN+ for a month with a code I got with The Journey Collection. I recall from a few weeks back that Spec Ops: The Line is free for PSN+ members for now and I want play it. Problem is, I'm almost certain that my PS3 doesn't have enough room to store it. If Bioshock is installing at 12 GB, I can only assume Spec Ops at least 30 GB. (Is it? How large of a fire size is it really?)

I have an external hard drive but it's NTFS, not FAT32, and I'm not going to format it. I'm definitely not going to spend money buying a flash drive or SD card large enough to contain it. So that leaves me with the only (?) option of deleting as much stuff as possible from the PS3 to have enough room for it. Which stuff is safe to delete? Obviously I'm not touching "Saved Data Utility", but what about game data utility or other stuff?

Any other suggestions on how to make this work out would be greatly appreciated.
---
its literally been a day and you want to quickban something. i thought it was quickban not usainboltban. - ballabrown24 from Smogon
#2Still__RippinPosted 3/26/2013 6:33:30 PM
Gamedata stores the install of your disk games and game patches. You'll have to reinstall that stuff if you want to play your disk again.

You can also delete any games you want and redownload them later. I don't really know what you mean by "safe" in the first place.
---
l'm Rip, l love gaming. Been gaming since SNES and this is my channel~
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZeitgeistGamer?feature=mhee
#3Mystery_Cooper(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 6:38:42 PM
Safe as in I can go back the game and play it again with no problems. Saves would be the most obvious thing since without them, I'd have nothing. But I was thinking of things like patches or game statistics/data where not having it anymore would cause the game not work because the saves I have were made when the additional data was there.
---
|Y|U|R|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™
#4gtaking5Posted 3/26/2013 6:41:24 PM(edited)
Spec Ops is around 6 gigs IIRC. Don't know why you'd assume it was 30.

As for game saves not working. Only one I know of is Disgaea 4. If you have a save file with the patch and delete the patch for noob reasons(item duping), you'll have to start a new game.
---
I don't want to make you cry cross my heart and hope to die
Drawin' blood and lonely stars, Drinking piss for cheap guitars
#5brycemorrPosted 3/26/2013 6:40:19 PM
Do not delete any movies or tv show you have bought off of the PS Store. You can not download those again unless you wanna pay up.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84
#6Mystery_Cooper(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 6:48:49 PM
Spec Ops is around 6 gigs IIRC. Don't know why you'd assume it was 30.

As for game saves not working. Only one I know of is Disgaea 4. If you have a save file with the patch and delete the patch for noob reasons(item duping), you'll have to start a new game.

I assumed that since Bioshock, a 2008 game for the PS3, was 12 GB, then a mid-2012 game would have used more assets and have higher visual quality such that it would take much more space. Excellent to hear that its only 6 GB though, so maybe I won't have to go through with deleting stuff.
---
EU = Europe = Continent
US = United States = Continent
- legendof