This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Sony would benefit from aggressively associating IPs with Sony?

#1DoramiPosted 3/27/2013 2:18:54 PM(edited)
I was looking at a list of games developed by Sony subsidiaries earlier, and it's actually a very strong lineup: stuff like GoW, Infamous, Uncharted, LBP, etc, just in this generation.

Yet somehow Sony still has this reputation of having no good first party games. In some ways, this hurts the company: If a person buys a Nintendo system, he knows at least Nintendo will put out quality games for it, even if third party support is slim. If a person buys an X-Box, at least he knows he'll have Halo.

Despite obviously having a stronger list of first party titles than MS, Sony doesn't seem to be really benefiting from the lineup that much. A lot of people just seem to think Sony only has third party support. I suspect a lot of it has to do with Sony's treatment of these games: They acquire a studio, then let the studio keep its name as a subsidiary, so when the studio makes a new IP, that studio gets the credit. Contrast this with Nintendo, where even when the subsidiary studio's name is stamped on the new IP, the game is somehow clearly a Nintendo game.

In some ways, Sony's model makes good business sense: The subsidiary structure allows them to pick up and drop developers easily, seeding promising IPs and reap the profits if they turn out well, or dropping them when they don't. But the tradeoff is that Sony doesn't really get the benefit of having that IP to its name. Sure, they are known as Playstation exclusives, but they are not known as Sony games.

Your thoughts?
---
"Just for reference, a Radeon 7950 with "only" 3GB of GDDR5 memory retails for about $300 USD. That's about $100 per gig." - Alaster111
#2PHEEliNUXPosted 3/27/2013 2:18:36 PM
The only good first party fame sony have is inFamous
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#3jammiesPosted 3/27/2013 2:26:49 PM
Wait, Uncharted isn't on Xbox? Mind blown
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#4LuminescentRulePosted 3/27/2013 3:19:00 PM
Only trolls claim that Sony doesn't have a strong first party line up.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#5Mattywright77Posted 3/27/2013 3:32:04 PM
LuminescentRule posted...
Only trolls claim that Sony doesn't have a strong first party line up.

I agree with this. The evidince is clearly there.
---
Now playing : Mass Effect, Bulletstorm