This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamers Born Before 1990: Remember when gaming was uncool?

#1JessicaJungxoPosted 3/28/2013 5:40:46 AM
As yes, gaming was associated with being a nerd and :gasp: having "no life". You were made fun of for having videogames as your top hobby, only the cool kids had their top hobby as playing sports or hanging out with friends.

Playing games were looked down as detrimental to one's social life with my favorite line: "You should get out of the house" Even when you invited your best buds and fired up that multi-tap (because multi-tap = the party house), your parents stood behind you and your friends "You guys should go play outside, it's beautiful out".

Nowadays, EVERYONE plays games. Kids, tweens, adults, and I even hear senior homes encouraging residents to play Wii. Mobile phones have made every have access to one form of a game and now suddenly you're weird if you never played a video game....
---
PSN: Rutgers Student XBL: Jessica Jung xo
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m22ucqXVbV1rrix40o2_500.gif
#2dasboosPosted 3/28/2013 5:43:29 AM
Remember when you where a nerd for using the interenet and computers? Now you're a nerd if you don't have a facebook account and the latest iThingie.
---
"Scissors are over powered, Rock is fine." - Paper
GT - stealth finger
#3killakPosted 3/28/2013 5:43:48 AM
We're owed something for being trail blazers, that's for sure.

Swapping Atari carts in class, didn't make you popular
---
When the evil Shredder attacks, These turtle boys don't cut 'em no slack.
#4este914Posted 3/28/2013 5:44:47 AM
I think that 'cool' perception changed when the NES was released. My cousin, who is a little older then I am, had one and played ALOT but he was not considered 'nerdy' or 'geeky' at all... He had a lot of friends, skipped school, went out, partied, etc etc and still had time to play video games.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#5wake_me_420Posted 3/28/2013 5:45:55 AM
Born in '82. Was anyone else here a part of the Bulletin Board System (BBS) era, playing games like Legend of the Red Dragon?

For those who are younger, you really missed out on a scene that will never be duplicated. In ways, it was the pre-cursor to the modern internet. A much simpler time, yet it was so exciting.
---
Check out this sweet box fort I made. Dare I say, 'World's Greatest' :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jo57wauuvA
#6JessicaJungxo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 5:46:12 AM
killak posted...
We're owed something for being trail blazers, that's for sure.

Swapping Atari carts in class, didn't make you popular

The cool kids definitely were closet gamers themselves, I remember them going up to the gamers and asking to borrow a genesis game and never returning them....

Guess girls saw gaming as the exact opposite of being athletic so the cool kids had to act "anti-gaming"
---
PSN: Rutgers Student XBL: Jessica Jung xo
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m22ucqXVbV1rrix40o2_500.gif
#7dasboosPosted 3/28/2013 5:49:21 AM
JessicaJungxo posted...

The cool kids definitely were closet gamers themselves, I remember them going up to the gamers and asking to borrow a genesis game and never returning them....

People moan about prices now. Megadrive games used to cost like 60. N64 games where 50+
---
"Scissors are over powered, Rock is fine." - Paper
GT - stealth finger
#8EseenuzPosted 3/28/2013 5:50:36 AM(edited)
heheh yup, then PlayStation came around and made gaming "cool" for everyone just about hmm

I feel bad for that generation of people that never grew up with 3d platformers/games (PS1 era etc) alot of these people just don't have the experience to play modern "complex" games... sucks for them
#9killakPosted 3/28/2013 5:50:26 AM
I still remember one time, when I was young, and kid was being an ass to me and he actually said "do you really play games?", then snickered when I said yes.
---
The cure for the corporate review!
www.classicgameroom.com
#10ShineboxerPosted 3/28/2013 5:58:17 AM
lol, my friends made fun of me because I got an Amiga for my birthday instead of Hockey skates and gear.

I showed up a tryouts with some raggedy ass gear and everyone made fun of me by telling me to "Go get your Amiga".
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD