This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamers Born Before 1990: Remember when gaming was uncool?

#91SpaceMarineZackPosted 3/28/2013 4:45:47 PM
PHEEliNUX posted...
Gaming is cool now?

only for hipsters.
#92carsaucePosted 3/28/2013 4:56:13 PM
Gaming was uncool to idiots who did not appreciate video game art and those sames idiots are now old or just knowing that this became another source of entertainment and now one of the biggest industries.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#93carsaucePosted 3/28/2013 5:10:50 PM(edited)
killak posted...
We're owed something for being trail blazers, that's for sure.

Swapping Atari carts in class, didn't make you popular

The cool kids definitely were closet gamers themselves, I remember them going up to the gamers and asking to borrow a genesis game and never returning them....

Guess girls saw gaming as the exact opposite of being athletic so the cool kids had to act "anti-gaming"

More like hypocrites, I learned that word in grade 5,...
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#94Stanger5150Posted 3/28/2013 5:17:59 PM
Yes, I remember. I loved every minute of it. However, it was actually more mainstream back then than younger gamers today realize.

Once the Madden, NHL, and NBA EA games started rolling out, jocks and other "anti-nerds" were all over it.

Doom, Mortal Kombat. (especially the Genesis port), and other early realistic violent games helped also. Even in the 80s, it wasn't restricted to nerds. Games like Super Mario Bros. and TMNT arcade brought huge mainstream success with them.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Vanquish- PS3, Super Mario Bros. 2- NES
#95Stanger5150Posted 3/28/2013 5:23:44 PM
archizzy posted...
The other thing I remember was that when gaming was "uncool" gamers were actually nice to each other and where I came from fanboys didn't exist.

Atari kids went over to friends who had ColecoVision/IntelliVision or some floppy disc PC games, the Nintendo kids went over to the friends who had Sega and vice versa because for us very few people had all systems. Usually you just had 1.

So instead of hating on games you were like "That looks awesome, can I come over and play it?"

I attribute most of the whining and trolling to Internet anonymity but I don't think it is any coincidence that every person I see on here that has been gaming like 30 years seems pretty level headed, respectful, and has more perspective on topics other than "OMG greedy devs, you're all corporate apologists! Capcom is evil!"

I would rather return to a time when gaming was "nerdy" and people were a little more decent to each other.

This is absolutely true.

Even in the 16-bit era, the Genesis vs SNES "war" was blown out of proportion by the companies. In the real world, there wasn't near as much s*** talking as there is now.

I attribute it to this: The Genesis and SNES offered completely different gaming experiences. Now, the two major competitors are so goddamn similar that I wonder why both of them exist.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Vanquish- PS3, Super Mario Bros. 2- NES
#96PunikinPosted 3/28/2013 5:26:44 PM
It's still uncool but we all do it anyway.