This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what is the order of Big Boss's story?

#1kill_distroyPosted 3/28/2013 5:15:14 PM
I only played MGS4, but am planning on going through the major games in the series before MGS5.

So for Naked Snake, what is the order of the story in his games? Does it go from MGS 3 -> MGS: Peace Walker -> MGS5?

Will I understand what is happening if I go with this order before probably playing MGS1 and 2?
---
Got it Memorized?
GT: Risev / PSN: RisevQ8
#2MonoculusPosted 3/28/2013 5:17:37 PM
It's technically MGS3 -> MGS Portable Ops -> Peace Walker -> whatever order Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are in, but most people skip Portable Ops because it's PSP-exclusive and generally blows.

You won't miss too much by ignoring the first 2 MGS games for the prequels, but there are a few references that don't impact the story too much.
---
XBL: RandomTag529 | Steam/PSN: FEGuy | 3DS FC: 2466-1889-8046
NES|SNES|PSX|N64|GC|X360|Wii|PS3|PC|GB|GBC|GBA|DS|PSP|Lite|3DS|Xperia Play|Vita|3DS XL
#3reincarnator07Posted 3/28/2013 5:23:21 PM
Yes to both questions. However, I'd recommend playing them in release order. The gameplay improves in each game and there are some plot elements that will spoil some things in earlier games.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#4carsaucePosted 3/28/2013 5:26:19 PM
Portable Ops is actually the real story and it shows that MGS3 was all one big setup, Naked Snake aka Big Boss was seriously trolled..and we know this by even what EVA did
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#5nihilist212Posted 3/28/2013 5:27:51 PM
The only series I think you could play in chronological order and not lose much is GOW, since the gameplay for the most part is generally the same. With only minor tweaks here and there. Otherwise, go with the order they were released and enjoy.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#6DarKxReckoninGPosted 3/28/2013 5:28:06 PM
Timeline as of now.

Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid : Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid : Peace Walker
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance

These are the only recognized canonical entries into the Metal Gear Universe and Timeline by Kojima himself.
---
PSN ID : xDarKxRecknoninGx
XBL GT : DarKxReckoninG