This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

so i'm listening to FF9 music...

#1AndehPandyPosted 3/28/2013 5:20:39 PM
Particularly this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_nFdq12kw

I remember when i was 11, sitting on the floor in the living room, eyes really close to the TV, glued to FF9.

It really made me realize how much i miss RPGs. Lately i've been feeling like games just don't capture me like they use to, I even noticed that i'm starting to buy less and less games because nothing interests me. I use to be ready for the next FF or the next RPG or WHATEVER that was going to make me become someone else, throw me into a gripping story and surround me in a interesting world. I REALLY use to love RPGs.

Now i don't know if it's because i'm getting older or maybe just the quality of RPGs has gone down but i just can't find myself to sit down and play through an entire game and feel the excitement i use to get for these games.

I really envy the new generation of gamers who will experience the same feeling i use to feel when i played a new game. Now it just kinda feels like a chore...

Anyone else in this slump?

Some of my favorite games(In no particular order)

1)Legend of Mana
2) Chrono Trigger
3) Final Fantasy 8
4) Final Fantasy 9
5) Chrono Cross
6) Dark Cloud 2
7) FF Tactics
8) FFIV
#2nihilist212Posted 3/28/2013 5:22:28 PM
I'm feeling a loss of RPGs, since I love that classic turn based style that most RPGs now seem to ignore. At the same time, there are a lot of great games that I've been playing so I'm still ok with it.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#3EvolvablePosted 3/28/2013 5:46:29 PM
Yes sir. That song brings back the most FF9 nostalgia for me.

I too have fallen away from RPGs in particular, and VG's more generally. The premise and story of most games just don't grab me.

That said, I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles (the only RPG that really grabbed me this gen).

My attention has turned to other genres. I am excited about GTA5 and The Last of Us.
---
Final Fantasy Tactics...we need more RPG's with a serious tone/story/theme as it did...
#4ShineboxerPosted 3/28/2013 5:51:47 PM
Sounds like crappy music from my Nokia 3390 phone in 2000.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#5BeknessPosted 3/28/2013 5:53:25 PM
Yeah... good times. I remember calling the Mog out to save the game.

I used to lay on my stomach and play, that's how I mostly played my games. And I'd have a folder next to me where I'd take notes of stuff.

I haven't really fallen away from RPGs, I still love them. I wish there was more around. Everyone says Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, but I've finished those already. I am mostly just sticking to older ones I missed and a few on PSP and 3/DS. People think there's RPGs on PC but I haven't found any that give me the same feelings as those weekends when I'd just lay on my stomach and play FF all day... so emerged in their worlds.
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#6ShineboxerPosted 3/28/2013 5:55:34 PM
Yeah... good times. I remember calling the Mog out to save the game.

I used to lay on my stomach and play, that's how I mostly played my games. And I'd have a folder next to me where I'd take notes of stuff.

I haven't really fallen away from RPGs, I still love them. I wish there was more around. Everyone says Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, but I've finished those already. I am mostly just sticking to older ones I missed and a few on PSP and 3/DS. People think there's RPGs on PC but I haven't found any that give me the same feelings as those weekends when I'd just lay on my stomach and play FF all day... so emerged in their worlds.

lol, it's hard to pander to nostalgia, and as much as I hate FF and JRPG's, I understand your sentiment.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#7dantegt4Posted 3/28/2013 6:05:01 PM
TC have you played Ni no Kuni? it's great like the old RPG'S.
---
"I don't like being held down by rules. The Man can't keep me down." - HeartlessCharms
#8GunzleaderPosted 3/28/2013 6:06:55 PM
had to bring up the past didn't you? imo i prefer rpgs without voices this brings back memorys. i find my self not buying next gen rpgs. just they can't bake a cake to the older rpgs no voices great music.. i miss ps1. id give ANYTHING to play legend of legaia without paying ebay prices.
---
im not a troll sorry if i offend you in anyway. RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
#9Kage_AM2Posted 3/28/2013 6:31:11 PM
The JRPG genre is definitely in it's lowest point in the last 20 years but hey at least it had a good run. Nothing great can last forever.
#10HybridLinXPosted 3/28/2013 6:39:24 PM
I know exactly where you're coming from, some of my best gaming memories were of playing RPGs like FF9 (Personal favorite). I still remember playing non-stop until I got to Burmecia.

Also here's another great tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYrRrz2oJg

It feels as if those moments will forever elude us now with the lack of great RPGs and the fact we have most definitely become jaded to gaming in general.

I'm looking forward to the FFX/X-2 HD release to try to recapture that spark, but im really just looking back into nostalgia. I believe that RPGs CAN return, and that with the next gen we could see this happen.

Here are some gems in not particular order

-Final Fantasy 9
-Final Fantasy 10
-Chrono Trigger
-Xenogears
-Suikoden
-Rouge Galaxy
-Legend of Legaia
---
Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens