This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So starting a replay of MGS series today

#11VigilantStevePosted 3/29/2013 9:51:18 AM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
Always release order for everything.
#12A_Nonny_MoosePosted 3/29/2013 9:56:58 AM(edited)
Except if it was written that way,

There is no "if". It was written that way. The people making the game decided to tell the story a certain order, and that's how you're supposed to experience it. Chronological order might be "fine" but it's not how the story was meant to be told.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#13jubjub360Posted 3/29/2013 10:00:51 AM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

There is no "if". It was written that way. The people making the game decided to tell the story a certain order, and that's how you're supposed to experience it.

See here's the problem I have with people who use the argument "release order", they never think about why someone like me says chronological order and think they are right. That's pure ignorance.The answer is both ways are correct but for story and ethos, it should be chronological order. Yes lets start off hating Big Boss from the very beginning and know what he does to get to where he is by MGS1 OR you can start off with Big Boss as Naked Snake and have that be harder hitting, emotionally, when you do get to the point where you realize you just played the bad guy for like.... 5 games now? (MGS3, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, Ground zeroes, Phantom Pain).

Now... what's your argument.
#14keybladeXIIIPosted 3/29/2013 10:01:09 AM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
Always release order for everything.

This. The people who bought every game in release order are the ones who really know the story well anyway.
---
I hate seeing sigs with PC specs on them.
PSN: tookhster ------ Proud owner of a Wii, PS3, 360, 3DS, Vita, and now a Wii U!
#15Spiroth_KweehhPosted 3/29/2013 10:01:57 AM
jubjub360 posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
Chronological if you want story order.

Release order is obviously best for story, because that's how the story was written.

Except if it was written that way, they would have introduced elements that were in the other games into 3.

Chronological order is fine story wise.

No it isn't lol.

Playing MGS3 before MGS1/2 spoils all the suspense, playing PW before MGS1 spoils MG/MG2/MGS1, playing PW blatantly spoils the biggest plot twist in MGS1, etc.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#16Spiroth_KweehhPosted 3/29/2013 10:06:34 AM
jubjub360 posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

There is no "if". It was written that way. The people making the game decided to tell the story a certain order, and that's how you're supposed to experience it.

See here's the problem I have with people who use the argument "release order", they never think about why someone like me says chronological order and think they are right. That's pure ignorance.The answer is both ways are correct but for story and ethos, it should be chronological order. Yes lets start off hating Big Boss from the very beginning and know what he does to get to where he is by MGS1 OR you can start off with Big Boss as Naked Snake and have that be harder hitting, emotionally, when you do get to the point where you realize you just played the bad guy for like.... 5 games now? (MGS3, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, Ground zeroes, Phantom Pain).

Here:

Playing Peace Walker before METAL GEAR, METAL GEAR 2 and METAL GEAR SOLID, blatantly spoils the shock of Solid Snake learning he is a clone, resulting in ruining MG2/MGS1 and the whole MGSaga, blatantly spoils Miller is dead in MGS1, so it ruins the whole MGS1 playthrough, & the whole MGSaga.

/argument.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#17A_Nonny_MoosePosted 3/29/2013 10:06:55 AM

Same as it was before.
---
#18MantisoPosted 3/29/2013 10:09:31 AM
It's up to you because you've already played them, but for newcomers release order is ALWAYS best because it's how the series, story and gameplay progressed. Some people don't seem to understand the concept of prequels. The clue is in the title. PRE-seQUEL. The time setting does not stop it from being a sequel to events in the previous entry.

Take Star Wars as the obvious example. The entire purpose of the prequels was to witness how Darth Vader came to be. We watch with the knowledge that this young boy grows up and inevitably ends up as the movie icon we all know. Many plot points, background info and inside references would be lost on someone watching them for the first time in chronological order. It would be a mess. And then of course the reveal in Empire Strikes Back would have zero impact because you just watched 3 movies following Anakin who fathered Luke. It's not and never was intended for the audience to view it in that order.

Chronological order is not story order. Try and watch Back to the Future in chronological order and see how that works out.
---
I'm not gonna cry about my Pa. I'm gonna build an airport. Put my name on it - Worlds First Analrapist
PSN ID: SolidKev
#19jubjub360Posted 3/29/2013 10:13:10 AM
So ignorant to the other side of the argument. At least Spiroth gave a good argument.

Now @Spiroth, I could argue this way:
Snake finds out he is a clone of a bad guy and he tries to help undo the evils that he's done (I'll admit that I haven't played MG1 or MG2 but I have played the Solid series 1-4) and as the player, you can think "Damn. I did all of this playing as Big Boss. I've got to undo all of this, along with Solid!" which in the end of MGS4 you do meet up with Big Boss as playing as Solid. It only ruins it if you start off as release order, due to MGS3 and PW being literally back story for everything else in the MGS universe IF playing by release order, but if you play it as chronological order, it gives a different perspective of the universe.
#20A_Nonny_MoosePosted 3/29/2013 10:16:36 AM
Well to be honest I'm currently playing the MGS series for the first time (and doing so in release order) so I'm not going to spoil it for myself just to argue with you. But release order is always the way to go.
---