This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was Sony the one that killed Sega?

#1PangLaPosted 3/29/2013 5:42:59 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Sony told people not to buy the Dreamcast because the PS2 would be coming soon with a dvd player which made the Dreamcast fail. Is it true?
#2Will SPosted 3/29/2013 5:50:06 PM
The fact that Sega was terribly mismanaged killed Sega.
---
---
"Yes! Yes! Yes!"
#3sw00p_0nePosted 3/29/2013 5:52:05 PM
Dreamcast faliled?
---
"This is the internet, where men are men, women are men, and 16 year old girls are FBI agents."
#4BeknessPosted 3/29/2013 5:52:13 PM
Read the top post on this

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916412-dreamcast/46758892
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#5shotgunheadshotPosted 3/29/2013 5:55:36 PM
I think it was. Barely anyone I knew didn't know the dreamcast exists.It was awful with a low amount of games. Everyone couldn't wait till the ps2 came around including myself. And the DVD probably contributed to hurting dream cast sales.
#6theshovellerPosted 3/29/2013 6:17:42 PM
Hard to say. They first made a misstep with the Saturn, which I heard was built to be a "CD-based 2D game system," but after seeing Sony's Playstation in action and doing 3D graphics, was jerry-rigged into being able to do 3D also. Still, never quite caught on as well as the Playstation and the N64 (which was still using cartridges, but sustained itself on its IPs - Mario and Zelda.)

Then you had the Dreamcast. First out of the gate, great graphics, but they used a proprietary format and I don't think their only real strong IP, Sonic, fared too well for Sega and just wasn't enough to save them compared to the PS2 and possibly the Gamecube and Xbox systems. Gamecube, again, had a proprietary format, but again, their IPs helped to save them - they were the only ones with classics as strong as Mario, Metroid, and Zelda.

I really, honestly think it boils down to a few things, in the end:

-Two less-than-stellar consoles in a row
-Not a massive library of games
-No IPs strong enough to help them last

The other consoles had at least two of those things on their side, with the possible exception of Microsoft's first console, which had all the money of Windows and Office behind them as a buffer.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#7VanderZooPosted 3/29/2013 7:26:36 PM
DreamCast did have a massive library of games though, and great games. So that couldn't have been the issue, it had a way better library than the PS2 when it launched.
#8TheCyborgNinjaPosted 3/29/2013 7:27:36 PM
Will S posted...
---

This. If they had simply gone from Genesis to Saturn, they'd still be in business.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#9flame030191Posted 3/29/2013 7:28:08 PM
Will S posted...
---

This. They couldn't keep anything within the company straight which lead to customers not trusting Sega.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#10theshovellerPosted 3/29/2013 7:33:54 PM
VanderZoo posted...
DreamCast did have a massive library of games though, and great games. So that couldn't have been the issue, it had a way better library than the PS2 when it launched.

But PS2 had a metric butt-ton of games of all types come out fairly quickly after launch. Dreamcast had a short burst, then fell to the wayside. When I worked retail, I was just starting when PS2 came out. The PS2 selection of games quickly overtook the Dreamcast and PS1 sections of games within the first year it was out.

Dreamcast may have had a decent number of games, and some fairly good ones, but it was definitely not massive compared to PS2. It's like saying Optimus Prime is large when you're standing beside Metroplex.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"