This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait, so more save/check points in games= a bad thing?!

#1Excuse_MePosted 3/29/2013 7:37:20 PM(edited)
I don't get it. I've seen posts here and on other parts of Gfaqs where so called hardcore players say that "the choice of being able to save your game whenever you want is a horrible thing in X game" or complaints about being able to save your game before fighting a boss as a negative thing or aim for casuals.

How is the alternative a good thing? So players should have to repeat the entire level again or face the same enemies, to get to the boss again, and possibly lose? And then have to repeat? That's artificial difficulty at it's finest and stupid and im glad we have checkpoints or easier save points so that we can immediately fight a boss or enemy that's giving us trouble. In most games anyway.

I can understand nerfing enemies as a frustration for vets of a series, but multiple check points/save points? As a negative? wat
#2harcoreblazerPosted 3/29/2013 7:31:15 PM
Only people who say that are the ones that wish that games were like the NES days again.

Some games don't let you save anytime you want, GTA for example only let's you save at the safehouse or automatically after an activity or mission.
---
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't
#3SolarMasqueradePosted 3/29/2013 7:32:29 PM
Nostalgia. Some people enjoy that kind of archaic gameplay.
---
...What?
#4Saintman32190Posted 3/29/2013 7:38:27 PM
SolarMasquerade posted...
Nostalgia. Some people enjoy that kind of archaic gameplay.
#5AsucaHayashiPosted 3/29/2013 7:43:31 PM
the only thing i hate is when the checkpoint system is designed to NOT let you reload and experience any given event due to only one save file that constantly pushes you forward.

"oh, you want to fight this boss or go through this level again? too bad, you gotta start all the way from the beginning and reach this spot again."
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#6Still__RippinPosted 3/29/2013 7:43:33 PM
Ummm being able to save whenever you want IS A BAD THING. Yes, if you die at a boss you should have to fight a piece of the area again. Back like before you ever fought him. If you don't have what you need etc to win, GAME OVER. GAME OVER is something that I miss dearly. What's the point in trying at all if you can just reload an infinite number of times?
---
l'm Rip, l love gaming. Been gaming since SNES and this is my channel~
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZeitgeistGamer?feature=mhee
#7anonymous46773Posted 3/29/2013 7:44:02 PM
One of the main issues I have with Bioshock is the save system. I spent about 45 minutes looting everything and exploring near the end of the game, only to get stuck in the floorboards and unable to move. I tried everything, even charging, but I couldn't get out and had to reload my last checkpoint, making me lose all the progress I had just made. Wish I could just quicksave :(
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#8IChangedMyNamePosted 3/29/2013 7:45:41 PM
"I don't get it. I've seen posts here and on other parts of Gfaqs where so called hardcore players say that "the choice of being able to save your game whenever you want is a horrible thing in X game" or complaints about being able to save your game before fighting a boss as a negative thing or aim for casuals."

To an extent, I agree with them. My reasons will follow shortly.

"How is the alternative a good thing?"

Depends on the games in question, its good because it promotes actually requiring to learn how to play the game. One of my quips with the current games of the generation, or at least the reviewers of the games, is that they are *****ing *****.

They tell us in the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate review the game is outdated and needs lock-on and so on so forth...Why? Because the reviewer sucks ass so much he needs a damn crutch? He marks the game down because HE is either not given the amount of time that's required to understand why the game works that way OR he's a jack ass who fits into the category of these new trendy "we want games to play themselves for us while we enjoy it and pretend afterwards we accomplished something" gamers of the new generation.

"So players should have to repeat the entire level again or face the same enemies, to get to the boss again, and possibly lose?"

Again, depends on the game. But in hindsight I'd say YES! Punish the player for being arrogant or for not treading safely. I can assure you 9 out of 10 deaths in video games are because the player themselves do something they very well know they shouldn't have.

I do it! I don't get mad about I just accept my mistake and next round up just do whats safe instead of being stupid.

"And then have to repeat? That's artificial difficulty at it's finest and stupid and im glad we have checkpoints or easier save points so that we can immediately fight a boss or enemy that's giving us trouble."

That's called difficulty, what your saying is being challenged to make the right choices should be more forgiving? That's stupid, that's a cop out and a pathetic gamer all around if you can simply correct an error by saving every moment before your about to make a decision.

Again though, circumstances may very. If a game is supposed to easy and enjoyable then by all means. But to have a game renown for being challenging or even a new game that's trying to teach a player then no.

"I can understand nerfing enemies as a frustration for vets of a series, but multiple check points/save points? As a negative? wat"

I believe I've covered this with many of my examples. I believe 100 percent the people who abuse the checkpoint and save system are the same kids back in the day who complete most of their games using Game Genie, Game Shark and Action Replay.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#9RioichiCooperPosted 3/29/2013 7:49:54 PM
On the one hand it offers a nice challenge and calls for the player to be careful. On the other hand, "I just want to find a save point so I can go to bed already!"
---
All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster: four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes.
#10JanayBerryPosted 3/29/2013 7:52:09 PM
Sometimes, it can be bad!

Imagine getting so wrapped up in the missions and quests that two hours later, you realized you didn't save just before you died...

Or, saving at the wrong point, not knowing a boss is one step over from where you saved. You can't leave, you used all your items, you have no ammo...
---
PSN ID: Jim_Berry
Favorites (since 3/23/13): DC Universe Online, Black Ops 2, Hard Corps: Uprising, Mass Effect, Double Dragon Neon, Saint's Row: The Third.