This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I play Chrono Cross without having played all of Trigger first?

#1theofficefan99Posted 3/30/2013 9:30:43 AM
I played Trigger many years ago at my cousin's house for a few hours and loved it. I was planning on buying the PSN version, but people say that it suffers from annoying load times. I'd like to buy the DS version, but I probably won't buy a 3DS for a while.

I really, really want to play Chrono Cross, though. It's been a game that I've really wanted since 2003-2004 and I tried buying it from Ebay once and the seller said that he ran out of stock and I just never pursued it since.

I want to play it, but I haven't played the entirety of Trigger yet.

Is it worth getting now, or no?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#2kel25Posted 3/30/2013 9:32:51 AM
You'll miss out on a few easter eggs but other than that there is little connecting the games. I'd say go for it.
---
Sony PS4 Conference = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5SVJw4ZcJY
#3EvolvablePosted 3/30/2013 9:34:18 AM
No need to play Chrono Trigger first. That said, Chrono Trigger is a fantastic game, so you should definitely play it as well.
---
Final Fantasy Tactics...we need more RPG's with a serious tone/story/theme as it did...
#4xOmniCloudxPosted 3/30/2013 9:35:00 AM
It's not so much a sequel so much as it is a game in the future of the first game. It rarely ever directly talks about CT and even playing CT wont truly give you much more to the FEW CT concepts brought up. The few that they explain in the game anyway. You'll only really be missing homages and nods for people that played CT is all. CC is its own beast.

Honestly, it should have just been stand a lone game seeing how drastically different it is. But that name recognition and having the same dev team (for the most part) didn't allow it to. I enjoy both games highly and actually prefer Cross to Trigger (funny since I had this thought hours ago) but I can see why so many Trigger fans outright despise Cross. We were lied to as to what it was originally.

So the answer is yes, but chances are that you will be with the majority and at the very least, prefer Trigger to Cross.
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#5badboyPosted 3/30/2013 9:40:43 AM
Yes it doesn't matter as it is not a sequel. There are a few references but you don't have to play CT to understand what's going on.
#6theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 9:50:58 AM
So I won't be confused at all?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#7kel25Posted 3/30/2013 9:54:58 AM
It's very unlikely that you will be confused about anything if you skip Trigger.
---
Sony PS4 Conference = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5SVJw4ZcJY
#8xOmniCloudxPosted 3/30/2013 10:01:28 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
So I won't be confused at all?

You will only be confused by Chrono Cross itself, not anything Trigger related since the few things related to Trigger are explained in the game as to why they're there in the first place. You miss out on easter eggs and homages only.
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#9Sidewinder1386Posted 3/30/2013 10:02:11 AM
It references the heroes of the first game, but it's really more of a shoutout than a really important part of the game.
---
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: Sidewinder1386
#10Nagisa_ShinjuPosted 3/30/2013 10:55:12 AM
Hrm, maybe it's just me but the whole "real final boss" backstory loses a bit of meaning without prior knowledge of what created it in the first place. Cross does explain it to an extent but the events of Trigger make it that much more meaningful. All in my opinion, of course.

But then again, that's a very very small percentage of the game...