This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I play Chrono Cross without having played all of Trigger first?

#11IamthekuzalolPosted 3/30/2013 12:22:21 PM
You don't really have to play the first one, but playing through it would help you understand some of the key plots better. I played both and still didn't know what was exactly going on in CC.
#12nouseravailablePosted 3/30/2013 12:28:34 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
So I won't be confused at all?

You will be confused even if you played CT. Things will clear up with time tho (mostly). Some cameos, songs and references are there for the sake of fun. Not to mention, CC is one of the most nostalgic games i ever played (along with the original VP), i think prior ct knowledge would increase that feeling. Both are more then worth a playthrough wichever the sequence so take what you will from that xD. Oh yeah and have fun!
---
NP: Fire Emblem 3DS and P4Arena
#13KnightTanis2290Posted 3/31/2013 10:10:54 AM
well, there is a point in the game where a group of the original characters appear from CT and explain a bit of the paradox that is happening, something to the degree of "when we originaly set out on this adventure, blah blah blah." If you can handle load times, I'd simply play Trigger first. While Chrono Cross is its own unique storyline, there may be some concepts that might not make as much sense.

Also, Trigger had a much better cast of characters and more fun battle system. In Trigger, each character could perform 8 unique skills, could perform 2-3 double technique skills with each other character in team attacks (except 1 optional character), and each group of characters with the main character could perform a triple team attack (with other team variations able to do it with special accessories equiped). In Cross, there are like 40+ characters to recruit over 2-3 playthroughs, but each character only has 3 unique skills, and there are only like a dozen or so dual team attacks and like 3-4 triple team attacks.
---
Tanthalus Leth Gunthar
www.youtube.com/TanthalusGunthar
#14Bancario51Posted 3/31/2013 10:11:37 AM
Cross is a terrible game. I shouldn't be played either way.
---
What is the meaning of life? A: Nanomachines, son
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#15TehAssasinPosted 3/31/2013 11:18:30 AM
Officefan, play Trigger first. It really helps if you are the kind of person who wants story which require a lot of thinking and somewhat complicated. Many people dislike Cross just because of the way the plot is delivered. Note that many of the characters aren't developed, they join you for personal reasons. But, i still highly recommend getting them both, but start with Trigger first. It's fairly short anyway.
#16kirusuPosted 3/31/2013 11:21:55 AM
you might want to finish chrono trigger first. chrono cross does have some elements from trigger. yeah if i were you i would finish trigger first.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3aacvZJeK1qb1m9to1_500.gif
my my it appears i have made an error.
#17SandOnMyBootPosted 4/2/2013 8:26:21 PM
I played Cross before Trigger when Cross was still new. I enjoyed it very much, but certain parts of the story I felt were confusing. However, this could have just been because I was a lot younger then.

I have since played through Trigger on the DS (since my PS1 copy has those infamous load times) and just a few months ago I replayed Cross. This time I understood a lot more of the background and the world, but the story itself of Cross is mostly self-contained. The only place where some knowledge of Trigger's ending might be helpful is the true final boss of Cross, but it's not necessary.
#18ArronAubinPosted 4/2/2013 8:28:58 PM
Bancario51 posted...
Cross is a terrible game. I shouldn't be played either way.

Cross is one of the best RPGs ever made. The only thing terrible is your grammar.
#19theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 8:35:52 PM
Are the load times for the PS1 version that bad? :/
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#20ShineboxerPosted 4/2/2013 8:44:16 PM
nope, the story is unoriginal no matter which game you play first.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD