This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I play Chrono Cross without having played all of Trigger first?

#21theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 7:48:06 PM
Shineboxer posted...
nope, the story is unoriginal no matter which game you play first.

Go troll somewhere else.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#22kaiser ryuPosted 4/2/2013 7:50:13 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
Are the load times for the PS1 version that bad? :/

If I remember right it's about 7 seconds from button press to the time the menu comes up. Even if you find it tolerable it's prohibitive enough that you do wind up very conservative with when you go to the menu.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#23xOmniCloudxPosted 4/3/2013 2:22:12 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
Are the load times for the PS1 version that bad? :/

If it's Chrono Trigger in FF Chronicles then yes. The loading times for that and FFIV are borderline atrocious. It was a bit better for me since it was the first version of either game I had ever played. Once I got versions that weren't super slow even when bringing up and closing menu screens, I could never go back to playing the PS1 versions despite the bonuses and once exclusive content they both had. Chrono Cross load times are incredibly small. It only loads the way most games in general load. New screens for new areas and battles. A few seconds for both.
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#24theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 3:19:23 PM
Guess I have to save up money for a 3DS, then...

dammit.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#25Shadows In TimePosted 4/3/2013 4:46:57 PM(edited)
With the ps2, I think when I had the chronicles version of ct, I went into my ps2 options menu and changed the disc speed from Standard to Fast and this improved the battle and menu loading times to about 2 seconds tops. It was a long time ago, but give that a shot if you end up with a ps copy of ct.
#26Crimson SkysPosted 4/3/2013 4:57:34 PM
Trigger is the better game so I would play that one first anway...
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
#27xOmniCloudxPosted 4/3/2013 5:05:12 PM
Shadows In Time posted...
With the ps2, I think when I had the chronicles version of ct, I went into my ps2 options menu and changed the disc speed from Standard to Fast and this improved the battle and menu loading times to about 2 seconds tops. It was a long time ago, but give that a shot if you end up with a ps copy of ct.

It's still super slow using the PS2 with disc read speed on fast. Load times for menu and closing could take up to 15 whole seconds on PS1. On PS2 goes down to about 10. Still ridiculous Plus it loads before and after every battle and various animations too. A shame since a great collection regardless with all the updates and additions they have from their original versions.
---
#28Shadows In TimePosted 4/3/2013 5:11:21 PM
ďA shame since a great collection regardless with all the updates and additions they have from their original versions.Ē

^ I know, right? Anyhow, thatís odd, I donít remember it being that long. I was using a slim at the time, if that helped.
#29xOmniCloudxPosted 4/3/2013 6:14:09 PM
Shadows In Time posted...
ďA shame since a great collection regardless with all the updates and additions they have from their original versions.Ē

^ I know, right? Anyhow, thatís odd, I donít remember it being that long. I was using a slim at the time, if that helped.

I was using a launch line PS2.
---
#30chao heroesPosted 4/5/2013 8:04:42 AM
No dude go for it! I have beaten both several time and I gotta say they are both amazing!

I must also say that in playing Cross I honestly feel like i'm not playing a sequel to Trigger because they are both such standalone games. There are maybe 2 or 3 very tiny references that you may not be able to appreciate but it is really pretty much it's own game. And a GOOD one!