This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is a PS3 still worth getting?

#1ChidosenganPosted 3/30/2013 3:31:33 PM
Serious question here. With the PS4 coming out, is a PS3 still worth getting? I know that the PS4 will not be BC, but with the PS4 out there in the horizon and the next Xbox soon to be announced, I'm not sure if I still want to invest in them seeing how most developers will be supporting the newer consoles now.

The other problem is money. Not sure how much the PS4 will go for, but the cheapest PS3 I have found is at $200 at Gamestop, which is a bit much for me considering the console that is about to become outdated. Not only that, I just dropped about $350+ on the Wii U, so I don't know if I really want to get a $200 old console. The reason I want to get a PS3 at this point is because it has some games I'm interested in, but it still costs alot of money.

So, I'm having a problem deciding. Should I go for a PS3 now, or should I just wait for a PS4 in hopes that it'll get some interesting titles?
#2NicodimusPosted 3/30/2013 3:44:17 PM
The PS4 is not worth getting either, because the PS5 is coming out eventually.
---
My gaming and movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My 8 pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#3WrestlinFanPosted 3/30/2013 3:45:43 PM
Get it. Tons of great games for bargain bin prices now.
---
I was in heaven. I was in hell. Believe in neither, but fear them as well.
#4RyuuHou25Posted 3/30/2013 3:47:33 PM
You realize PS2 still had support and games coming out for it and was still being manufactured until earlier this year?

PS3 will still have games being made for it for at least another 2-3 years, even after PS4 comes out.

Not to mention, by this point, PS3 has a ridiculously huge game library, so the question is more - is there anything you want to play on it? If yes, buy it. If no, don't.

Also, I do have to laugh a bit at you being worried about it being outdated when you say you bought a Wii U....
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#5Chidosengan(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 4:02:22 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
You realize PS2 still had support and games coming out for it and was still being manufactured until earlier this year?

PS3 will still have games being made for it for at least another 2-3 years, even after PS4 comes out.

Not to mention, by this point, PS3 has a ridiculously huge game library, so the question is more - is there anything you want to play on it? If yes, buy it. If no, don't.

Also, I do have to laugh a bit at you being worried about it being outdated when you say you bought a Wii U....

When I said outdated, I mean that most developers will move to the PS3 and any good games will stop coming out on the PS3. I mean most games that were coming to the PS2 were like sports games and graphic novels in Japan.

But anyways, I think I'm think I'll go with the GoW bundle. Is that an online only offer?
#6Guts_LeonheartPosted 3/30/2013 4:10:49 PM
It will probably see a price drop when the PS4 comes out, though I would say its worth it now if you want to play some games now. The Ps4 will probably take a year to build up a decent library.
#7Jon_GodPosted 3/30/2013 4:10:50 PM
Yes.

The PS4 isn't backwards compatible, meaning, if you want a chance at the amazing library the PS3 had, getting a PS3 is your only option.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#8Devilman_AmonPosted 3/30/2013 4:15:55 PM
Guts_Leonheart posted...
It will probably see a price drop when the PS4 comes out, though I would say its worth it now if you want to play some games now. The Ps4 will probably take a year to build up a decent library.

This

What launch PS1, PS2 and PS3 games do people still play anyway?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#9ImDyinSquirtlePosted 3/30/2013 4:18:44 PM
If it will put a dent in your financial situation, don't get it.
---
Help me Squirtle, dont just stand there...Im freaking dying
#10masblasPosted 3/30/2013 4:34:13 PM
WrestlinFan posted...
Get it. Tons of great games for bargain bin prices now.

This. Go out and buy one now to catch up on all the amazing exclusives only on the PS3. Plus don't forget all the must play games coming out this year too which again none of them can be played on the next system.