This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people care about artbooks?

#1Raven_CyarmPosted 3/30/2013 4:00:46 PM(edited)
Like, when they come as a pre-order bonus or whatever. They're just a bunch of pictures that you'll look at once and then you'll put it away somewhere, never to be looked at again. At least with game soundtracks, there's more of a chance that they'd go in your music collection to at least be listened to again at some point.

But when I see people's "dream list" for a Collector's edition of a game, an artbook is always in there...

I don't get it...
---
You're not the official anything of any board.
No-one cares about your PC specs either.
#2Still__RippinPosted 3/30/2013 4:01:30 PM
I'd take an art book over a soundtrack any day. Not to mention to art book can be displayed.
---
Oddly enough, l can't think of a sig right now. Please, feel free to suggest one for me.
#3NicodimusPosted 3/30/2013 4:01:42 PM
A lot of people just collect things. Reasons:

-To have the option of pulling it out whenever you want it
-To show off in a cool display
-To show your enthusiasm in whatever it is you collect

It's not always about frequent use.
---
My gaming and movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My 8 pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#4BeknessPosted 3/30/2013 4:03:56 PM
I don't really care for artbooks. All the ones I've had, I've viewed once or twice.

Then again, I don't read, maybe if I cared more about books in general I might enjoy art books more.
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#5kel25Posted 3/30/2013 4:05:22 PM
Bekness posted...
I don't really care for artbooks. All the ones I've had, I've viewed once or twice.

Then again, I don't read, maybe if I cared more about books in general I might enjoy art books more.

I read a lot and love art but I will look at art books once or twice and just throw them away. I already have enough junk that I collect on my shelves.
---
Sony PS4 Conference = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5SVJw4ZcJY
#6Raven_Cyarm(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 4:05:35 PM
Nicodimus posted...

Collecting things is basically a socially acceptable form of hoarding to me. >_>
---
#7Still__RippinPosted 3/30/2013 4:07:54 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Nicodimus posted...

Collecting things is basically a socially acceptable form of hoarding to me. >_>

There is a difference between collecting and hoarding... Some people love Coca Cola stuff. Beer stuff. Sports stuff. And, here's the shocker, VIDEO GAME STUFF. I hardly see how having art books from your favorite games is hoarding.
---
Oddly enough, l can't think of a sig right now. Please, feel free to suggest one for me.
#8Jon_GodPosted 3/30/2013 4:10:00 PM
I don't really care, but my brother is an artist/animator and he loves to look at art books for inspiration.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#9MGS5PhantomPainPosted 3/30/2013 4:10:20 PM
Why do people like art? Maybe because it's art? Are you gonna say art collector's are stupid as well?
#10Raven_Cyarm(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 4:16:09 PM
Still__Rippin posted...
There is a difference between collecting and hoarding... Some people love Coca Cola stuff. Beer stuff. Sports stuff. And, here's the shocker, VIDEO GAME STUFF. I hardly see how having art books from your favorite games is hoarding.

I'm talking about collecting in general. When I see someone with an "impressive" collection (I'm not talking neccesarilly talking about a shelf, I'm talking an entire wall or room), whether it's games or sports memorabillia, I don't think "Wow, this guy is a die-hard fan" I think "This guy has a socially acceptable mental illness".

"Compulsive hoarding (or pathological collecting, or, informally, packratting) is a pattern of behavior that is characterized by the excessive acquisition of and inability or unwillingness to discard large quantities of objects that cover the living areas of the home."

The difference between "collecting" and "hoarding" is that collectors don't appear to be crazy. Their collecting is masqueraded as a hobby, when it's selective hoarding that only focuses on a specific area.

Why do people like art? Maybe because it's art? Are you gonna say art collector's are stupid as well?

Spending thousands of dollars for a thing that sits on the wall and has no practical application other than "It looks pretty" sounds pretty stupid to me.
---