This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people care about artbooks?

#11Wozman23Posted 3/30/2013 4:16:09 PM
I prefer an art book to a soundtrack.

Artistic creativity plays a large part in the games I like. Cartoony fantasy and science fiction are insanely creative. Quality art really has a lot more detail than is still feasible to develop in engine. If you look at a good piece of art, you'll see there is still plenty of room for visual improvement.

Art books also give a lot of insight into the development process and the choices that were made. For instance, the Dead Space art book did a great job explaining why they opted for fur suits as opposed to the franchise's trademark ribbed armor. The book for Alice: Madness Returns discusses a lot of abandoned concepts and the hardships the dev team faced.

I'm never going to listen to a gaming soundtrack. I thought Rayman Origins had an amazing soundtrack, but on a daily basis I'd much rather listen to rock music.

On the other hand, the print I recently received thanks to a collaboration between Insomniac, CreatureBox, and iam8bit hangs on my wall and has been admired everyday since it was framed.
---
Recently Played: Sound Shapes, DmC, Sly, Dead Space, GoW Ascension, Bioshock
Anticipating: Guacamelee!, Fuse, The Last of Us, Puppeteer, Rayman Legends
#12BeknessPosted 3/30/2013 4:19:30 PM
When I hear the word "hoarding" I think of my grandma. She had a shed full of stuff, closets full of stuff, she washed out food containers and had cupboards full. She had paints and art stuff in her shed (I'm assuming from nearly 20 years ago from when her grandkids were all younger)

Hoarding to me is when the "stuff" is taking over your house and life. Unless you live in a small house because that's all you can afford or something. I think hoarding is different to everyone. Some people might see it as "clutter" but other people might like to have stuff that means something to them on display. Collectibles are a nice way of displaying who you are, what you care about, as well as making a house feel more "homely" not just like a room with furniture in it.
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#13MGS5PhantomPainPosted 3/30/2013 4:21:18 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...

Spending thousands of dollars for a thing that sits on the wall and has no practical application other than "It looks pretty" sounds pretty stupid to me.

And who are you to tell someone what to do with their money if it makes them happy. Do you like people telling you that you are an idiot for spending money on things you like? Grow the
**** up son.
#14BeknessPosted 3/30/2013 4:28:00 PM
MGS5PhantomPain posted...
Raven_Cyarm posted...

Spending thousands of dollars for a thing that sits on the wall and has no practical application other than "It looks pretty" sounds pretty stupid to me.

And who are you to tell someone what to do with their money if it makes them happy. Do you like people telling you that you are an idiot for spending money on things you like? Grow the
**** up son.

I missed this post.

What about this I don't think "Wow, this guy is a die-hard fan" I think "This guy has a socially acceptable mental illness".

Are you saying other mental illnesses aren't acceptable? Pretty offensive post tbqh.
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#15Raven_Cyarm(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 4:31:24 PM(edited)
Bekness posted...
When I hear the word "hoarding" I think of my grandma. She had a shed full of stuff, closets full of stuff, she washed out food containers and had cupboards full. She had paints and art stuff in her shed (I'm assuming from nearly 20 years ago from when her grandkids were all younger)

Hoarding to me is when the "stuff" is taking over your house and life. Unless you live in a small house because that's all you can afford or something. I think hoarding is different to everyone. Some people might see it as "clutter" but other people might like to have stuff that means something to them on display. Collectibles are a nice way of displaying who you are, what you care about, as well as making a house feel more "homely" not just like a room with furniture in it.

If you need material things to identify you as a person, rather than a display of your character... then you should spend less on knicks knacks and more on developing yourself as a person.

Just because you stack things neatly, doesn't mean you're not a hoarder. There ARE neat hoarders too.

And who are you to tell someone what to do with their money if it makes them happy.

I didn't tell anyone to do anything with their money. I'm just giving an opinion. They're gonna keep overpaying for pretty things and I'll keep thinking of the adage that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Do you like people telling you that you are an idiot for spending money on things you like? Grow the **** up son.

I really wouldn't care, because they're usually a stranger on the internet and who gives a damn what a stranger on the internet thinks right? It's not like I'd go on and cuss them out and tell them to "grow the **** up." I mean, I'd have to be pretty childish to do that.

Are you saying other mental illnesses aren't acceptable? Pretty offensive post tbqh.

You're right, that was worded poorly. What I meant to say is "untreated and unrecognized".
---
You're not the official anything of any board.
No-one cares about your PC specs either.
#16Still__RippinPosted 3/30/2013 4:37:52 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Still__Rippin posted...
There is a difference between collecting and hoarding... Some people love Coca Cola stuff. Beer stuff. Sports stuff. And, here's the shocker, VIDEO GAME STUFF. I hardly see how having art books from your favorite games is hoarding.

I'm talking about collecting in general. When I see someone with an "impressive" collection (I'm not talking neccesarilly talking about a shelf, I'm talking an entire wall or room), whether it's games or sports memorabillia, I don't think "Wow, this guy is a die-hard fan" I think "This guy has a socially acceptable mental illness".

"Compulsive hoarding (or pathological collecting, or, informally, packratting) is a pattern of behavior that is characterized by the excessive acquisition of and inability or unwillingness to discard large quantities of objects that cover the living areas of the home."

The difference between "collecting" and "hoarding" is that collectors don't appear to be crazy. Their collecting is masqueraded as a hobby, when it's selective hoarding that only focuses on a specific area.

Why do people like art? Maybe because it's art? Are you gonna say art collector's are stupid as well?

Where a hobby of collecting shoes may cost you more money than you want to spend, or a passion for acquiring old computer games may stretch your already limited financial resources and wall space, obsessive hoarding usually involves objects that have little if any value

You are just flat out wrong. It doesn't even seem to worth arguing with someone as thick headed as you.
---
Oddly enough, l can't think of a sig right now. Please, feel free to suggest one for me.
#17WarhawkPosted 3/30/2013 4:38:23 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Nicodimus posted...
A lot of people just collect things. Reasons:

-To have the option of pulling it out whenever you want it
-To show off in a cool display
-To show your enthusiasm in whatever it is you collect

It's not always about frequent use.

Collecting things is basically a socially acceptable form of hoarding to me. >_>

I seen a few episodes of Hoarders and the ones I seen the people had a ton of useless stuff. Mostly junk from what I seen, but some of us I'd like to say know how to control what kind of stuff we'd like to collect to where it don't end up being as bad as seen on television.
---
CRP: 12949 | FAQs: 16
FAQ Outlaws | Mega Man X
#18MGS5PhantomPainPosted 3/30/2013 4:39:46 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Bekness posted...

If you need material things to identify you as a person, rather than a display of your character... then you should spend less on knicks knacks and more on developing yourself as a person.

Just because you stack things neatly, doesn't mean you're not a hoarder. There ARE neat hoarders too.

And who are you to tell someone what to do with their money if it makes them happy.

I didn't tell anyone to do anything with their money. I'm just giving an opinion. They're gonna keep overpaying for pretty things and I'll keep thinking of the adage that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Do you like people telling you that you are an idiot for spending money on things you like? Grow the **** up son.

I really wouldn't care, because they're usually a stranger on the internet and who gives a damn what a stranger on the internet thinks right? It's not like I'd go on and cuss them out and tell them to "grow the **** up." I mean, I'd have to be pretty childish to do that.

You're right, that was worded poorly. What I meant to say is "untreated and unrecognized".

Who gives a damn what a stranger thinks on the internet? Then why do you even post? No one cares what you think other than us thinking you are a stuck up, know it all, and WRONG person.
#19Ninja4HPosted 3/30/2013 4:40:02 PM
As an artist, I love the design process that goes into these games. I still flip through the Fallout 3 artbook on occasion. Same with the Metal Gear Solid one. That's why I care.
---
"Candy. Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy."
PSN - VoodooPimp138 {-} MGO - thelastninja
#20Still__RippinPosted 3/30/2013 4:42:44 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Bekness posted...

So, you're saying the more things a person has the less of a person they are? That's just ridiculous and laughable.
---
Oddly enough, l can't think of a sig right now. Please, feel free to suggest one for me.