This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people care about artbooks?

#21Raven_Cyarm(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 4:44:11 PM
Still__Rippin posted...
Where a hobby of collecting shoes may cost you more money than you want to spend, or a passion for acquiring old computer games may stretch your already limited financial resources and wall space, obsessive hoarding usually involves objects that have little if any value

You are just flat out wrong. It doesn't even seem to worth arguing with someone as thick headed as you.

Just because it doesn't fall under the definition, doesn't mean it doesn't apply. Like it's been said, a guy with a room full of sports memorabilia isn't considered weird, but a guy with a room full or trash is.

The only difference is the guy with the memorabilia paid out his ass for his stuff... so if anything, I dare say it's worse. A compulsive hoarder gets looked down upon and shunned, while a guy with an impressive collection is applauded and encouraged, therefore he's being enabled.
---
You're not the official anything of any board.
No-one cares about your PC specs either.
#22glyde69Posted 3/30/2013 4:45:08 PM
I'm same way. I don't have any interest in art books, soundtracks, collector editions, etc.

To each, their own.
---
Gamer Tag: Wally Digital PSN name: Wally Digital Wii Code:2550-7930-3602-5785
#23BeknessPosted 3/30/2013 4:46:08 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
If you need material things to identify you as a person, rather than a display of your character... then you should spend less on knicks knacks and more on developing yourself as a person.

That's not it at all. Some people don't want an empty house. Having things around you create good feelings, IMO. I have 5 final fantasy 8 pictures in a frame on my wall. Everytime I see it, it brings back good memories. It makes me feel happy.

It has nothing to do with developing as a person. It's about surrounding yourself with things that make you feel happy.

Warhawk posted...
I seen a few episodes of Hoarders and the ones I seen the people had a ton of useless stuff. Mostly junk from what I seen, but some of us I'd like to say know how to control what kind of stuff we'd like to collect to where it don't end up being as bad as seen on television.

This is very true. It seems to be junk from what I've seen, too. These people have literally no room to walk around in in their house. I'm sure there's people who hoard to less of an extent and their house is still presentable, but if it's not taking over their life or anything, who cares?

Ninja4H posted...
As an artist, I love the design process that goes into these games. I still flip through the Fallout 3 artbook on occasion. Same with the Metal Gear Solid one. That's why I care.

Do you have an online gallery or album? could you post the link or PM it to me? I'd be interested in that.
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#24Bestia_SomniaPosted 3/30/2013 4:46:15 PM
What's the point in this topic? The question in the topic title is practically rhetorical because no matter what we say you'll still be fixed on your belief that it's stupid and pointless. Different people have different tastes. I don't see what's so hard to comprehend about that. It's impossible to truly explain why someone appreciates something visually to someone who doesn't. It's like trying to explain colour to a blind man.

Why collect photos? Why have boxarts for video games? Why have wallpaper in the rooms of your house? Why have statues built?

If there weren't people who appreciated art on a collectable level in the first place then we'd be living in a bland society. Visuals make some people feel or think of certain things, just like music. Collecting art is as stupid as you buying video games.
---
"Women!? Wutz a women? Iz it brand of serial? a herp to da derp..." - Masashi Kishimoto
#25MGS5PhantomPainPosted 3/30/2013 4:46:59 PM
Still__Rippin posted...

So, you're saying the more things a person has the less of a person they are? That's just ridiculous and laughable.

Not to mention, what dictates when it becomes too much of your favorite things you own to qualify as hoarding? By his standard it seems like if you have 2 art books on your shelf (or more than one thing in general) you are a hoarder.

The only practical definition of hoarding would be collecting things you dont need or of no value to the point where it interferes with every day life or basic human needs in a living condition. Having a couple shelves full of games, movies, books, art books, or whatever does not make you a hoarder.
#26Still__RippinPosted 3/30/2013 4:49:49 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Still__Rippin posted...
Where a hobby of collecting shoes may cost you more money than you want to spend, or a passion for acquiring old computer games may stretch your already limited financial resources and wall space, obsessive hoarding usually involves objects that have little if any value

You are just flat out wrong. It doesn't even seem to worth arguing with someone as thick headed as you.

Just because it doesn't fall under the definition, doesn't mean it doesn't apply. Like it's been said, a guy with a room full of sports memorabilia isn't considered weird, but a guy with a room full or trash is.

The only difference is the guy with the memorabilia paid out his ass for his stuff... so if anything, I dare say it's worse. A compulsive hoarder gets looked down upon and shunned, while a guy with an impressive collection is applauded and encouraged, therefore he's being enabled.

Actually. That's exactly what it means. A rock doesn't fall under the definition of a fish. Therefore, it is not a fish. And did you really just compare a room full of sports memorabilia to garbage? How can you not distinguish the difference? What do you do with your money? Are you a hoarder because you buy videogames? Will you buy a house and put nothing in it?
---
Oddly enough, l can't think of a sig right now. Please, feel free to suggest one for me.
#27MGS5PhantomPainPosted 3/30/2013 4:51:56 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#28Bestia_SomniaPosted 3/30/2013 4:56:50 PM
Do you always use the dictionary for you to define things in life, TC? I don't think that the dictionary will provide help on how you could can pay your bills. Though I suppose you have Wikipedia for that, right? I suggest leaving your house every once in a while. It's the best way to understand people and their habits.
---
"Women!? Wutz a women? Iz it brand of serial? a herp to da derp..." - Masashi Kishimoto
#29Ninja4HPosted 3/30/2013 4:57:42 PM
Bekness posted...
Raven_Cyarm posted...
If you need material things to identify you as a person, rather than a display of your character... then you should spend less on knicks knacks and more on developing yourself as a person.

That's not it at all. Some people don't want an empty house. Having things around you create good feelings, IMO. I have 5 final fantasy 8 pictures in a frame on my wall. Everytime I see it, it brings back good memories. It makes me feel happy.

It has nothing to do with developing as a person. It's about surrounding yourself with things that make you feel happy.

Warhawk posted...
I seen a few episodes of Hoarders and the ones I seen the people had a ton of useless stuff. Mostly junk from what I seen, but some of us I'd like to say know how to control what kind of stuff we'd like to collect to where it don't end up being as bad as seen on television.

This is very true. It seems to be junk from what I've seen, too. These people have literally no room to walk around in in their house. I'm sure there's people who hoard to less of an extent and their house is still presentable, but if it's not taking over their life or anything, who cares?

Ninja4H posted...
As an artist, I love the design process that goes into these games. I still flip through the Fallout 3 artbook on occasion. Same with the Metal Gear Solid one. That's why I care.

Do you have an online gallery or album? could you post the link or PM it to me? I'd be interested in that.

Recently finished and uploaded my first comic to dropbox, but the damned pages are too big and take awhile to load up. Mock cover works, though.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxli7tgrok7whbh/4HFIssue1.jpg
---
"Candy. Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy."
PSN - VoodooPimp138 {-} MGO - thelastninja
#30digidevilwilPosted 3/30/2013 5:06:06 PM
I'm an artist.
I like art.
Video games are art.
---
PSN: PandaKingEX