This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people care about artbooks?

#31BeknessPosted 3/30/2013 6:07:23 PM
Recently finished and uploaded my first comic to dropbox, but the damned pages are too big and take awhile to load up. Mock cover works, though.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxli7tgrok7whbh/4HFIssue1.jpg

dude, is that the fashion club from Daria?
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#32Freelance_WolfPosted 3/30/2013 6:08:30 PM
I like art and soundtracks, so I'd take an artbook if the theme is appealing.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#33Reginleif20Posted 3/30/2013 6:10:12 PM
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Like, when they come as a pre-order bonus or whatever. They're just a bunch of pictures that you'll look at once and then you'll put it away somewhere, never to be looked at again. At least with game soundtracks, there's more of a chance that they'd go in your music collection to at least be listened to again at some point.

But when I see people's "dream list" for a Collector's edition of a game, an artbook is always in there...

I don't get it...

Collection purposes among other things
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#34sean2995Posted 3/30/2013 6:10:29 PM
Depends on the game or the artist. Some CE/LE are good but most are very cheap.
#35Ninja4HPosted 3/30/2013 6:13:47 PM
Bekness posted...
Recently finished and uploaded my first comic to dropbox, but the damned pages are too big and take awhile to load up. Mock cover works, though.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxli7tgrok7whbh/4HFIssue1.jpg

dude, is that the fashion club from Daria?

The what?
---
"Candy. Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy."
PSN - VoodooPimp138 {-} MGO - thelastninja
#36WarhawkPosted 3/30/2013 6:17:55 PM
Bestia_Somnia posted...
What's the point in this topic? The question in the topic title is practically rhetorical because no matter what we say you'll still be fixed on your belief that it's stupid and pointless. Different people have different tastes. I don't see what's so hard to comprehend about that. It's impossible to truly explain why someone appreciates something visually to someone who doesn't. It's like trying to explain colour to a blind man.

Why collect photos? Why have boxarts for video games? Why have wallpaper in the rooms of your house? Why have statues built?

If there weren't people who appreciated art on a collectable level in the first place then we'd be living in a bland society. Visuals make some people feel or think of certain things, just like music. Collecting art is as stupid as you buying video games.

Don't want to go off topic but I know one time I was listening to a Judas Priest album I got. When someone asked me "what you listening to?" and I said "Judas Priest" then the person was like "how can you listen to that?".
---
CRP: 12949 | FAQs: 16
FAQ Outlaws | Mega Man X
#37Raven_Cyarm(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 6:28:29 PM
Bestia_Somnia posted...
Why collect photos?

Depends on the photos... are we talking family and friend photos or photos you've taken of your surroundings?

Family and friend photos document things that have happened, which trigger memories and therefore have a practical application.

Why have boxarts for video games?

Because it makes different games easily distinguishable and catches a consumer's eye. The have a practical application.

Why have wallpaper in the rooms of your house?

There's no reason to have them at all. I have wallpaper, but only because it was here before I moved in.

Why have statues built?

Because they can commemorate and honor an achievement or event. If you mean generic ones for buildings and such, then there's no reason beyond catching a potential consumer's eye at your building. It's subliminal advertising.

Collecting art is as stupid as you buying video games.

The experience of looking at art, lasts about 10 seconds. You look at it and you're done. Games can form an experience of simulating things. These can take minutes, to hours, to days. It's a virtual way that one can experience an adventure or live out a desire that isn't possible in everyday life. Looking at a painting or statue... is just looking at a painting or statue. It's pretty, but that's about it.

Not to mention, what dictates when it becomes too much of your favorite things you own to qualify as hoarding? By his standard it seems like if you have 2 art books on your shelf (or more than one thing in general) you are a hoarder.

Except if you paid attention, I said that a shelf (I.E. a few things) didn't apply. Some things are naturally collected as a result of purchases... and before you say it, I throw things like artbooks out, because I don't use them, so I'm hardly "collecting". And before you say "Oh, well you buy games, surely you keep them, right?" Nope, I sell them back as soon as I'm done. I've played it and therefore have no further use from it.

The only practical definition of hoarding would be collecting things you dont need or of no value to the point where it interferes with every day life or basic human needs in a living condition. Having a couple shelves full of games, movies, books, art books, or whatever does not make you a hoarder.

Except a definition isn't set in stone. It can have synonyms, which are related concepts. What happens when you leave something like a book sit still for a while. The expression is that it "collects dust". Does dust have value? If a book begins to collect enough dust, it slowly begins to fade and wear out. You've made it pretty apparent that hoarding can interfere with everyday life. If a person hoards, it may interfere with their health. If a book collects dust, it may interfere with it's condition.

Collecting is a synonym for hoarding.

Will you buy a house and put nothing in it?

I literally only have the bare essentials in my house for living comfortably. I don't have any art or pictures that aren't personal photos. (Which at this point, before you go and say it, I advise you to read my first statements again.) I don't have flowers or vases or anything of artistic nature. It's not that I hate art, I just see no practical application for it. It's a waste of money.

Memorabilia however makes the person happy,

If you give drugs to an addict, wouldn't it make him happy too? Of course when you support someone's addiction or illness in a way that succumbs to their problem they'll be happy.
---
You're not the official anything of any board.
No-one cares about your PC specs either.
#38xWantPosted 3/30/2013 6:38:05 PM
TC, Are you a robot? Being in a plain house sounds uncomfortable.
I just recently started buying LE of games, I used to be a pirate. When I brought an LE and finished the game, I'd put up a poster and every time I looked at the poster or any of the cool stuff, I felt a form of nostalgic happiness. As a pirate, I didn't have boxart or anything, it was just blah. I think the boxart and art books further enhance the experience. If we didn't have art, I don't think we'd have such a diversity of games. Art inspires people to make new and interesting things.
---
Currently Playing :Persona 4 Arena, HDN Victory
PSN : AntiGenjou
#39BeknessPosted 3/30/2013 6:39:07 PM
What about people who have no family? So when they die, they can't have any photos? It's like they never existed. That's just depressing.

And I don't have any vases either.

Collecting isn't hoarding. And now you're comparing people who care about art books to drug addicts? Seriously?

So what do you spend all your money on? I'm dying to know.
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#40Still__RippinPosted 3/30/2013 6:46:11 PM
Bekness posted...
What about people who have no family? So when they die, they can't have any photos? It's like they never existed. That's just depressing.

And I don't have any vases either.

Collecting isn't hoarding. And now you're comparing people who care about art books to drug addicts? Seriously?

So what do you spend all your money on? I'm dying to know.

lt's pretty obvious he doesn't have any.

And to the TC. You are just rambling nonsense. You do realize you said "definitiions aren't set in stone, they have synonyms" LMFAO That's one of the dumbest things l've ever read. A definition means it is set in stone. There is no arguing on the definition of something. As l have proven in an earlier post. Your opinion on the matter is made up. It's wrong. It doesn't fit the definitions of the words. You are living in a fantasy land where apparently everyone but you and poor people are hoarders. By the way, words have synonyms, definitions don't. I can't even begin to understand what you were trying to do with that one except dig yourself out of an enourmous hole you've created.
---
Oddly enough, l can't think of a sig right now. Please, feel free to suggest one for me.