This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People that whined about QTE's in RE6 Must Really Hate Tomb Raider

#11DocDeliciousPosted 3/30/2013 6:24:26 PM
The QTEs in RE6 are overdone and akward. Mashing the run button to climb across a wire doesn't make sense. Alternating L1 (aim) and R1 (shoot) to climb a ladder is akward. So on and so forth.

In Tomb Raider they're handled well, are scattered enough that they don't get annoying and happen in sections that make sense. A quick button mashing segment using the action button to pull a length of rebar out of your stomach adds to the tension of the moment. Mashing the action button for a second to pry open a door makes sense. Pressing the attack button to kick a guy off of you also makes sense. Those are the only ones I can think of, off the top of my head, there are so few throughout the game.
---
Disgaea 4, Siren: Blood Curse, Rayman Origins, Grand Theft Auto IV, Vanquish, Need For Speed: MW 2012, Urban Trials, Monster Hunter FU
#12mmpepsi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 6:33:56 PM
DocDelicious posted...
The QTEs in RE6 are overdone and akward. Mashing the run button to climb across a wire doesn't make sense. Alternating L1 (aim) and R1 (shoot) to climb a ladder is akward. So on and so forth.

In Tomb Raider they're handled well, are scattered enough that they don't get annoying and happen in sections that make sense. A quick button mashing segment using the action button to pull a length of rebar out of your stomach adds to the tension of the moment. Mashing the action button for a second to pry open a door makes sense. Pressing the attack button to kick a guy off of you also makes sense. Those are the only ones I can think of, off the top of my head, there are so few throughout the game.

Yes it does.

And you don't do that for ever ladder, just at very specific points in the game. L1 is mean to be one arm and R1 another.

Besides, guess what one of the first QTE's is in Tomb Raider? L1 R1 mashing. Guess what L1 is? Aim? and R1? You got it! It's shoot!
#13DavCubePosted 3/30/2013 6:36:04 PM
Well given that the opinions of both those games seem to be a conglomerate of "Meh," that seems to be the case here.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube
#14PoorCountryPosted 3/30/2013 6:42:39 PM
mmpepsi posted...
Orasion_Seiz posted...
Ever played Asura's Wrath?

Yes, good game.

But a game like that you know what you're getting into with QTE's.

Tomb Raider has more than it should.

That's a double-standard.
#15Cobra1010Posted 3/30/2013 6:42:55 PM
Im pretty sure TC either hasnt played RE6 or TR before making the comparison. TR are mostly for cutscenes that causes instant deaths or dodge and maybe a few other actions.

But for RE6, you have to wiggle the analogue stick way too much and you have to mash a button for your character to climb a long a pipe. Its nearly as bad as the triangle button in the microwave hall of MG4.
---
EA CEO: Resigned ---- SE CEO: Resigned
Crapcome come on, we are waiting for you.
#16mmpepsi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 6:43:26 PM
PoorCountry posted...
mmpepsi posted...
Orasion_Seiz posted...

Yes, good game.

Please explain how.
#17SoaringDivePosted 3/30/2013 6:44:47 PM
The problem with QTE's is being where they don't belong. They're fine in Asura's Wrath - that's the kind of game you're getting into. But Resident Evil is supposed to be a survival horror game, not a mindless action game.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#18PoorCountryPosted 3/30/2013 6:47:17 PM
mmpepsi posted...
PoorCountry posted...
mmpepsi posted...
Orasion_Seiz posted...

Yes, good game.

Please explain how.

Are you just challenging my ability to explain what a double standard is?
#19mmpepsi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 6:49:11 PM
PoorCountry posted...
mmpepsi posted...
PoorCountry posted...
mmpepsi posted...
Orasion_Seiz posted...

Yes, good game.

Please explain how.

Are you just challenging my ability to explain what a double standard is?

Sure. I'd love to see how you think that is one.
#20JanayBerryPosted 3/30/2013 6:49:49 PM
Your title made me laugh and I HAD to comment....

Some people who complained about QTE in "Resident Evil 6" really stressed how QTE made the game bad. However, some of those same folks didn't mind it in "Tomb Raider" while others noted it being bad.

Sheesh... We gamers just aren't appreciative!
---
PSN ID: Jim_Berry
Favorites (since 3/28/13): DC Universe Online, Black Ops 2, Hard Corps: Uprising, Mass Effect, Double Dragon Neon, Resident Evil 6.