This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did SquareSoft and Enix merge to form Square Enix about 10 years ago?

#21ORANGE666Posted 3/31/2013 11:12:45 PM(edited)
SquareSoft almost bankrupted themselves from the movie Final Fantasy the Spirits Within which Sony distributed. Sony bought 20% of Squaresoft to keep them afloat and negotiated with Square that they would not buy majority share if Square agrees to try to have some exclusivity with their games to the PS brand.

At the time Enix was looking to gain a stronghold in the RPG market and even had plans to buy out SquareSoft. Enix asked (bribed with money under the table) Square to merge with them after Sony bought their shares, whose share in the now Square Enix, dropped in half I believe.
#22qwertyMrJINXPosted 3/31/2013 11:17:05 PM
You_Need_A_Life posted...
No, but VERY bad as a Final Fantasy product.

Eh, at least it isn't nearly as bad as Advent Children.
---
"You don't need a knife to kill a game maker. Just call it crap." - Piros
#23RatchetRulePosted 4/1/2013 4:09:51 AM
The reason they merged was because Squaresoft dumped huge amounts of money on Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, which bombed at the box office, nearly forcing Squaresoft into bankruptcy. Enix bailed them out.

At least in teh short term.
---
PSN: Ace Attorney
On the internet, which console you own is more important than what religion you follow or what political party you're with.
#24KOTRsssPosted 4/1/2013 5:14:32 AM
Because Sakaguchi poured tons of money into a movie that needed to be a financial success, and it wasnt.

Square either had to merge or die.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#25deprofundis442Posted 4/1/2013 7:36:53 AM
Pretty much everything in this thread is conflicting. First off, the merger was originally being considered before spirits within. Both companies were in need of help. Enix actually nearly pulled out of the merger when SW bombed and Square was nearly worth nothing. After FFX and support from Sony, Square stock surpassed Enix, managing to remain the dominant side of the merger and they accepted the merger. Nobody bought anybody, and it wasn't because of the film, though the merge helped recover from that.
---
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.com
#26Master_HapposaiPosted 4/1/2013 7:37:36 AM
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within

Actually that delayed the merger.
#27lordofthenlpplePosted 4/4/2013 12:11:03 PM
They made a movie about FF that had nothing to do with FF. They didnt simply use money that they possessed but used money they didnt have. When the movie failed, they couldnt pay back their creditors. Enix in turn bought them out. But recognizing that Square is such a popular brand they renamed the company Square Enix.
---
Waiting to buy a PS4 and a Geforce 670
#28toadiemanPosted 4/4/2013 12:30:03 PM
lordofthenlpple posted...
They made a movie about FF that had nothing to do with FF. They didnt simply use money that they possessed but used money they didnt have. When the movie failed, they couldnt pay back their creditors. Enix in turn bought them out. But recognizing that Square is such a popular brand they renamed the company Square Enix.

Cid was in it.
---
PSN: toadieman
#29MNeighborTotoriPosted 4/4/2013 12:32:02 PM
In the end of Spirits within, the old man says its warm. My sis and I laughed so hard saying he pissed himself. I remembering seeing that movie in the theater. we laughed so hard we cried.
#30anonymous46773Posted 4/4/2013 12:37:46 PM(edited)
Better for the company because they didn't have to make quality products to compete each other. Terrible for consumers.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.