This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ni No Kuni or Bioshock Infinite?

#121NaitoOkamiPosted 4/1/2013 12:36:56 AM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Robobro posted...
Is this a joke? Ni No Kuni.

Since it isn't, you know, just another generic shooter. I keep hearing people harp about BI's story. What good is a story in a game, if after one play through the story is worthless? I play for gameplay, so that excludes BI, since I do not consider shooters to have good gameplay.

Least the story in BI matters.

Actually, since in the end of Infinite you literally erase the events of Infinite from the time stream Infinite's story doesn't matter.
#122Uber-WontonPosted 4/1/2013 12:45:25 AM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Robobro posted...
Is this a joke? Ni No Kuni.

Since it isn't, you know, just another generic shooter. I keep hearing people harp about BI's story. What good is a story in a game, if after one play through the story is worthless? I play for gameplay, so that excludes BI, since I do not consider shooters to have good gameplay.

Least the story in BI matters.

Actually, since in the end of Infinite you literally erase the events of Infinite from the time stream Infinite's story doesn't matter.

Well technically, if the events in Infinite's story never occurred, then none of the timelines would have been erased and Comstock would never be killed from the 'root'. So Infinite's story does matter. I hate paradoxes.
#123Jason_HudsonPosted 4/1/2013 12:47:26 AM
Enclave posted...
It's story didn't drag on, kids today just have ADD. Thus why so many "RPGs" today are nothing but glorified first person shooters.

Are you referring to me?

The story dragged on. It was dull in a lot of places. Instead of putting in more effort to the voice overs and cutscenes (which I enjoyed watching), they make you sit through [in a 2011/3 game] tons and tons of text. They could easily have rewritten it, put it into a voice acted cutscene and it would have been a great story. It would have been to the point and you could immerse yourself in it.

Instead they demonstrated a lack of talent in storytelling and just wrote mounds and mounds of text, then they didn't want to spend the money paying voice actors to read the entire script so the gamer has to sit through it in text form. Back in the 80s that was fine, I loved my text adventure games. I do not expect this in a modern game.

I'm also likely to be older than you, just as a note.
---
"My name is Spartan Jay, the greatest Black Ops 2 player of all time. Because I am on your team, this team will win" ~ Spartan Jay
#124HipHopBeatsPosted 4/1/2013 12:47:31 AM
Ni No Kuni has a lot of hype, mostly from Ghibli fans and nostalgic jrpg players of previous gens. Definitely youtube a few walkthroughs and let's play vids before buying Ni No Kuni since the demo is a poor representation of what Ni No Kuni has to offer.

I tried to get into Ni No Kuni and ended up trading it in for Bioshock Infinite. Granted, I prefer more 'bang for my buck' and had great times with jrpg's like Chrono Trigger and FF7, but Ni No Kuni is a very slow moving story with tons of text based dialog and over the top hand hold holding. I literally dozed off with my controller in hand almost every time I played it.

Ni No Kuni wouldn't be so bad if it had less text based dialog, better party AI, and catching Familiars wasn't a game of chance. You may get lucky and catch a Familiar the first time you fight one or you may have to repetitively find the and fight Familiar you're looking to catch, a crap load of times. Zooming and panning the in game Wizard's book in the menu is another annoyance I didn't care for. Downloading the pdf version of the Wizard's book didn't make much of a difference either.

Ni No Kuni also has a very dull and annoying battle system where you'll have to toggle over to the 'Defend' command every time a boss charges up for a power attack that can do a lot of damage if you're not quick enough. It's not the most difficult combat system to master, but can be overwhelming at 1st since the overall importance of Defense is not stressed enough despite the overload of hand holding to be experienced during the first few hours .

Later in the game you get 'all out attack' and 'all out defense' party commands which both burn through magic points pretty quickly. Also, choosing to have party members heal you is a big mistake since they will waste magic healing you even if you receive barely any damage from enemies. Also sharing health and magic with your Familiars is another annoyance. If they die in combat, so do you.

Ni No Kuni may be a good entry game for 1st time rpg players or nostalgic jrpg fans. It takes a while before the game opens up and let's you really explore but by then, you may have lost interest.
#125selfpityingbuffPosted 4/1/2013 12:52:07 AM
This question is impossible to answer, they're both such different games, and they both have much to recommend them. What do you feel more like playing at this point?

However, if I had to choose only one, I'd choose Infinite.
#126PurelyDivinePosted 4/1/2013 12:58:32 AM
I'd probably just flip a coin :P
---
I love Deidara. She's so hot - photobucket.com/albums/m560/theblaz1/DEIDARA.jpg
I love Cloud. She's so hot - photobucket.com/albums/m560/theblaz1/CLOUD.jpg
#127ShuyinOnTheWayPosted 4/1/2013 1:04:04 AM
Get Tomb Raider.
---
Official Flying Airship of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII Board
My Level 1 Walkthrough: www.youtube.com/user/ShuYinOnTheWay <--- PSN
#128Madridiq8ePosted 4/1/2013 1:11:24 AM
jubjub360 posted...
Well do you want an RPG or one of the best story FPS games to come out in a long time?

let me correct you..

do you want to play one of the best story FPS games to come out in a long time ? or the BEST JRPG this generation ?
#129jubjub360Posted 4/1/2013 1:14:10 AM
Madridiq8e posted...
jubjub360 posted...
Well do you want an RPG or one of the best story FPS games to come out in a long time?

let me correct you..

do you want to play one of the best story FPS games to come out in a long time ? or the BEST JRPG this generation ?

Hmm.... nah I think I had it pretty right the first time. Thanks though.
#130badboyPosted 4/1/2013 1:17:30 AM
NnK
/topic