The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any good open-world JRPG out right now? I need game recommendations.

#1TheBlueAngelPosted 4/1/2013 6:54:00 AM
So I have some time on my hands for now and I've been trying to play new games. I've only been playing Call of Duty the past 3 years. Recently, I've bought Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Bioshock Infinite. I really like open world games. Are there any JRPGs out there like that? Or even regular RPGs? I've also wanted to try out the Dead Island series. Games that I can put a lot of hours into. I really loved the original Final Fantasy (1-9) but I hated the PS3 ones. Here's hoping XV goes back to the roots.
---
PSN: Azhar599
#2ScreamingMidgetPosted 4/1/2013 7:05:14 AM
Dragon's Dogma?
#3Lethal13Posted 4/1/2013 7:05:46 AM
Xenoblade Chronicles would be my first recommendation

buuuuut since this is a PS3 board and you've ruled out final fantasies (which haven't been good or open world anyway)

Skyrim and Oblivion are massive open world RPGs can't say much about them , i prefer JRPGS myself but i'm sure others would give you a good summary. Medieval sort of setting

Tales of Graces f, not open world but plenty to do, not the best Tales IMO but has a boss battle system and I think is a pretty fun game i'm on my 3rd playthrough now.

if you have a wii lying around i'd say get Xenoblade but considering it's pretty rare these days and it's a bit pricey.
#4Evil_GogetaPosted 4/1/2013 7:05:58 AM
Ni no Kuni.
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (Vita) Soul Sacrifice, One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 and PSO2.
#5omm3sasukePosted 4/1/2013 7:06:07 AM
Have you tried Ni No Kuni? The demo is on the PS Store.
#6PHEEliNUXPosted 4/1/2013 7:07:06 AM
Xenoblade
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#7deprofundis442Posted 4/1/2013 7:17:59 AM
The only open world ones I can really think of are maybe White Knight Chronicles games when it comes to PS3. Even beyond that, FFXII is the only open world Jrpg I can come up with off the top of my head. Other games mentioned in this topic have world maps, but are far from open world.
---
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.com
#8deprofundis442Posted 4/1/2013 7:20:18 AM
I missed that you said regular RPGs too. Skyrim is probably your best bet.
---
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.com
#9kel25Posted 4/1/2013 7:23:25 AM
Dragon's Dogma - This is the only JRPG that I can think of on the PS3 that comes close to what you are looking for. I'd hold off on getting it because they are re-releasing the game with extra content.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion & Skyrim - Both games have huge open worlds with a ton of things to do. They are also extremely glitchy games but that is to be expected from a Bethesda game. I think Oblivion is the better game and felt that Skyrim dumbed things down too much.

Dead Island - I felt this game was a diamond in the rough. It had great concepts but the gameplay could use a bit more polish. It sounds like the next game worked out some of those kinks. The combat system is more melee based.

Borderlands - This series is very similar to Dead Island but uses guns instead of melee weapons. Between the two games I feel this one is a better experience but they are both worth playing.

Alpha Protocol - This one is less open world and more hub based. It's a great RPG if you go in knowing that your combat skills will suck until you spend points on them. One of the few games where your decisions can really matter.

Kingdom's of Amular - It's a open world RPG that most of my friends liked but I found to be dull. Never really could place my finger on why I felt that way though.

Venetica - Another open world game that felt like a poor man's Kingdoms of Amular.

Risen 2 and Two Worlds 2 - Both games have a fairly open world but they are both low budget games with problems. I feel that Two Worlds 2 is a better game.
---
Sony PS4 Conference = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5SVJw4ZcJY
#10TheBlueAngel(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 10:52:46 AM
I'm open to any JRPGs where I can put 100 hours into.
---
PSN: Azhar599