This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I never understood the Gamestop hate until now...

#1BronxstaPosted 4/1/2013 12:43:32 PM
So I bought Tomb Raider on the 19th, about two weeks ago. The game is still 59.99 in stores. I beat it once, was considering a second playthrough, but instead went to trade it in for Bioshock Infinite. I left with Tomb Raider still in my hands

They were only going to give me 18-20 bucks for a game that was still 59.99 new and 54.99 used. That's crazy. I traded in my PS3 version of Black Ops 2 and get almost $30. But only $18+ for a relatively new game is an insult!

Now the employee didn't actually check on the computer for what I could have gotten so could she be mistaken about the trade-in value?
#2DevilTears604Posted 4/1/2013 12:46:14 PM
That's how they make money. People will buy that used game for $5 less than new, and if you want to trade in for a new game badly enough, they'll get you.

I just don't trade games in anymore, cause I know I'll get the hankering to play it later on.
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#3jubjub360Posted 4/1/2013 12:46:23 PM
You have to think about which one is a more hot ticket item? Tomb Raider or Black Ops 2? Which one is going to fly off the shelves faster?
#4phowell23Posted 4/1/2013 12:47:41 PM
Black Ops 2 was 30 bucks new at Target last week so they're not that bad.
#5spectermaster14Posted 4/1/2013 12:49:33 PM
The prices are dictated by the demand for the game. More people wanted Black Ops than Tomb Raider. Why would they give you a lot of money for a game they may not sell for weeks or months?
#6Jerry_ApplebyPosted 4/1/2013 12:49:36 PM
EB Games (Canada) has a promo where you trade in anything towards Bioshock and you get an extra 30% credit. So if Tomb Raider is worth say $20, it gets bumped up to $26.
---
I have 148 platinum trophies! http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/Jerry_Appleby
PSN: Jerry_Appleby Currently playing BO2, LBP2, DeadSpace3, Bioshock Infinite
#7BurgerTime79Posted 4/1/2013 12:49:43 PM
Bronxsta posted...
So I bought Tomb Raider on the 19th, about two weeks ago. The game is still 59.99 in stores. I beat it once, was considering a second playthrough, but instead went to trade it in for Bioshock Infinite. I left with Tomb Raider still in my hands

They were only going to give me 18-20 bucks for a game that was still 59.99 new and 54.99 used. That's crazy. I traded in my PS3 version of Black Ops 2 and get almost $30. But only $18+ for a relatively new game is an insult!

Now the employee didn't actually check on the computer for what I could have gotten so could she be mistaken about the trade-in value?

They likely gave $30 for Black Ops 2 because they knew it would sell quicker. People complain about them because they can't grasp the concept of how buying and selling works. This is why there's so many ridiculous people on Pawn Stars who cry and complain about what they're being offered. Just like Gamestop.
She probably didn't check the computer, because she had already done a trade in for the game that day, and remembered the price.

You don't understand the hate. You're just contributing to it by complaining without having facts straight.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#8crazyman32Posted 4/1/2013 12:55:23 PM
jubjub360 posted...
You have to think about which one is a more hot ticket item? Tomb Raider or Black Ops 2? Which one is going to fly off the shelves faster?

This^.The COD franchise obviously sells quicker so,that is no surprise.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.
#9WantedOutlawPosted 4/1/2013 1:01:57 PM
People need to stop trading in games at GameStop and start exploiting their HDMI cable trade-in value. Sign up for a free Amazon Prime trial (you can get an infinite amount of them with a different email account each month.. just shut auto-renewal off right away). Look around Amazon for Prime elegible HDMI cables that are $1 or less. Might take a few days for them to pop up because they go quick but eventually they will. Buy a box of 20 for $20 or less.
Trade them in at GameStop for $4 each. Make a $60 profit ($80 trade-in credit).. essentially a free brand new game.
Haven't paid for a new game in well over a year now.
#10BurgerTime79Posted 4/1/2013 1:04:24 PM
Yeah....going to take that HDMI tactic as an April Fools joke.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking