This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come no one replays games anymore?

#151paralyzed21Posted 4/2/2013 9:15:34 AM
honestly, trophies ruined game replay for me. not sure why, but I just feel like I have nothing to accomplish if I have the trophy already. yet, I still go back and play all my classic systems over and over.
---
http://www.wearethepanicdivision.com | http://www.facebook.com/thepanicdivision
---
#152wh0_kn0wsPosted 4/2/2013 9:22:56 AM
paralyzed21 posted...
honestly, trophies ruined game replay for me. not sure why, but I just feel like I have nothing to accomplish if I have the trophy already. yet, I still go back and play all my classic systems over and over.

yeah, there was a shift at some point that i can't put into words. it's bothersome.
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#153Lost_All_SensesPosted 4/2/2013 9:34:28 AM
I played through Prototype 2 twice in a 26 hour period >_>.
---
"I might make threats I won't never fulfill,hopin your smart enough to use some will and do as I say outta fear that I will"
#154TeraPatrick2008Posted 4/2/2013 9:35:20 AM
Many of today's games are too story-driven and way too long to play them again. You often realise that there isn't much fun in the gameplay itself.

Remember how often you could play Contra, Mario, Double Dragon or Mega Man but do you really want to play a Spiderman, Call of Duty or Assassins Creed game again after you beat it?
#155KatanalvrPosted 4/2/2013 9:41:07 AM
I still do it all the time.

I've replayed Resident Evil 5 so many times through I've lost count.
Resident Evil 6 I'm on my 3rd playthrough of the entire campaign.
Replay Dynasty Warriors 7 and Xtreme Legends from time to time.
I go back to Dead Island from time to time, might do so again since I've got Riptide pre-ordered.
Same with a couple of Wii games.

I wouldn't say no one, but with the constant release of good looking new games, not a lot of people take the time to replay other games because they don't want to miss out on any new stories and such, at least that's what I think.
---
History, can you hear the cries of those without voices?
#156Sunnie-chanPosted 4/2/2013 9:44:08 AM
I don't have time to replay games these days.

Partly due to work, but also partly because there are so many more games coming out these days I barely have time to clear them once before the next one comes out!
#157Kane90987Posted 4/2/2013 9:51:45 AM(edited)
TeraPatrick2008 posted...
Many of today's games are too story-driven and way too long to play them again. You often realise that there isn't much fun in the gameplay itself.

Remember how often you could play Contra, Mario, Double Dragon or Mega Man but do you really want to play a Spiderman, Call of Duty or Assassins Creed game again after you beat it?

I replay story driven games all the time.

Tales of the Abyss - Beat 2 times
Tales of Symphonia - Beat 2 times
Radiata Stories - Beat 3 times, the last 2 times were back to back due to multiple endings, and also because IMO, that game is just that awesome.
Persona 4 - Beat 2 times
Chrono Trigger - Beat 3 times
Dishonored - Beat 2 times, back to back, again because IMO, that game is that awesome.

I could make a whole list of story driven games that I've beaten multiple times, but that would take too long lol
#158norwishPosted 4/2/2013 9:52:05 AM
TeraPatrick2008 posted...

But... I replay those games because I love the story...? Same reason I watch a movie again; the story was amazing, and I'd like to experience it a second time.
---
GT: Official Loser
PSN: OfficialLoser
#159KarateJonsPosted 4/2/2013 9:54:08 AM
Xenotropixavier posted...
Remember when you were a kid and you could replay a game multiple times no problem? Just because it was fun? How come I'm hearing so many games have no replay value? From my own experience I know this isn't true. I'm replaying Anarchy Reigns right now, even though reviews said it had no replay value. Like hell! It's fun, therefore it can be played again and again. RPGs can be played again for their stories, case in point FFXIII. I thought that was a great game, with cool environments, and it has content to go back and try for. Can you really say that all these games being released you're content with playing just once during your whole life?

The first time I played FFXIII the month it released in 2010, I beat all content, including optional mark hunts. In fact, I beat 95% of the mark hunts while still in Chapter 11 / Gran Pulse. Then I beat the storyline, unlocked level 10 Crystarium, came back to Gran Pulse, leveled up by beating up the Behemoth vs. Wolf near Mah'habara, then pwned Attacus, Vercingetorix, and 2x Raktavija (multi-Firaga spamming Armageddon). Total playtime was 96 hours.

A year later in 2011, I replayed FFXIII mainly for the storyline, while completing a few hunts. In 2013 I replayed it for the third time, also mainly for the storyline.

Final Fantasy games seem to have a stigma where if you don't complete 100% content on your first playthrough, then you may never 100% it. However, the games have good re-playability just to re-experience the storyline...as long as you play your second or third playthrough a year or more later so you don't get sick of it.
#160justdontaskPosted 4/2/2013 9:55:24 AM
dont worry TC, i still replay my favorite games...

i have a list of about 30 games, i play through them whenever i feel like, but most of em are RPGs so it takes a few months to get through em all... i dont get new games because none of em really appeal to me... the newest games i got were KH3D, and MH3U, but those are both on my 3DS, so i play them for 3 hours before i go to sleep...

ive played most of my games enough times that ive learned ways to get to some really hard places, get really good gear, then go back to the story 20 levels higher than i should be with gear to one shot bosses, like getting the zodiac spear in FF12 before entering Giza in the rainy season... none of the tricks ive learned ever come up in official strategy guides, and most faqs on here dont talk about em either... the only way to find em is to play the game a few times and try to break it yourself...

hell, ive even tried maxing stats in some games, and found that some games dont register stats after a certain number, like KH1, just by equipping the ultima weapon you deal max damage, even if your strength is only 50...

replaying games can be extremely rewarding, you just gotta do something different each time...
---
logic escapes this site.