This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come no one replays games anymore?

#161LenneValkiryePosted 4/2/2013 8:55:38 AM
Youtube.
/topic
#162PHEEliNUXPosted 4/2/2013 8:56:09 AM
This generation lacks Shmups. Shmups like Touhou have a freaking high replay value
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#163residentbowersPosted 4/2/2013 9:04:46 AM
I replay most of my games. Depends on the game. If its local co-op ill replay though a bunch so long as I have someone else to play with. If its single player but a decent length, 25hrs or shorter, ill replay it when I have time and feel like it. If its one of those absurdly long games, skyrim for example, there's no way I'm starting that over.
---
but Black Dynamite, I sell drugs to the community.
#164Da DoodPosted 4/2/2013 9:06:50 AM
I replay games often, both classic and recent. More often than not, I end up liking the game better, and learn new things. I rarely feel like I'm done with a game after playing it once or twice.

That said, some games these days don't make this an easy process. Especially the games that focus on the narrative, like BioShock. I have to wait a good while before they feel fresh again. Then there are games like Skyward Sword, which is so freaking long... I'm replaying it right now and enjoying it better than my first playthrough, but I quit about 4 attempts in the first hour because of how slow the beginning is.

A recent game that I feel like picking up at any time is Dark Souls.
---
And this time!
#165DtheBruiserPosted 4/2/2013 9:10:58 AM
i think its because games lack the same substance that older games had. I can still play double dragon to no end because its always fun to see how far i can get and the games thrills arent a 1-time thing.

Take bioshock for example...

spoiler warning!!

part of the thrill is all the weird things that dont come together til the end but its only on your 1st playthrough when you discover the powers of "will you kindly" that it blows your mind. On a 2nd playthrough you already know and it doesnt provide the same thrill

I think alot of new games are similar to tv, movies and other media in that they provide a 1-time thrill. maybe that is why games like call of duty do so well....say what you will about them but a game that is dependent on the actual gameplay no matter how many times you play rather than a cheap thrill you will enjoy once clearly still has a place today. It's too bad more games dont try to be games instead of trying to be media.

Actually I think this should now be a topic about why EA is bad! j/k (or am I??)
---
Want to learn how to procrastinate like me? I'll tell you how tomorrow
#166theatrical_catPosted 4/2/2013 9:22:17 AM
The hell you talking about? I replay games all the time. I just replayed Assassin's Creed 2 for the hell of it. I'm replaying KotOR now. I'll probably replay StarCraft next. Point is, people absolutely replay games all the time.
---
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.
#167RagnawindPosted 4/2/2013 9:23:24 AM
I still replay games all the time. It depends on wen I want to. I usually try to finish games in the backlog first. Last year, I replayed a few games from the PS2 era and before, also, such as the entire Xenosaga Trilogy and I even replayed White Knight Chronicles for PS3.
#168redskinStuPosted 4/2/2013 9:26:38 AM
I replay lots of games, can't speak for anyone else.
I played Oblivion and Fallout 3 again recently, RE 5 too.
The other day I was playing Silent Hill 2 on my PS 2, and Star Wars KOTR on my Xbox. And Eternal Darkness and Rogue Squadron 2 on my Gamecube.
I'm thinking of getting the Intellivision out too. Microsurgeon and Burger Time. Good games.
#169the_requiemPosted 4/2/2013 9:37:18 AM
I thought problem with new gamers was replay. They play the same game over and over again and it is called Call of Duty MultiPlayer.
---
[PSN:wreck_em]
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni, Unfinished Swan
#170IngSlayerPosted 4/2/2013 9:41:32 AM(edited)
Ha ha ha, I've replayed a few of my newer games repeatedly.

If I don't replay a game, it's because:

1) It's not fun enough to warrant a replay.
2) I've already sucked it dry of everything or I'm bored of it and want something new.

I also have this weird part of me that wants certain things I do to stay within certain time periods of a year, or something. (i.e. I have an easier time playing Kirby Super Star Ultra between late September to mid December)
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist