This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Neptunia series?

#1Hercik1Posted 4/1/2013 4:53:58 PM
What is with this game series? I looked at it when it first started it got bad reviews and looked like a game all about fan service with gameplay second thought so I avoided it.

But now it's on like its fifth game in the series and with diehard fans so it much be doing something right.

My main question is if I was to rent one from gamefly which one should it be or am I right that the game is just fan service with fans in denial.
#2KenauePosted 4/1/2013 4:55:53 PM
I could have sworn its on the third game in the series...
HDN
HDNmk2
HDNV (I think the V stands for victory or something.)

Then again, I've not played them, so I could be off on that number. I have the first one, just never actually put it in. Yet.
---
HOCKEY'S BACK! GO PREDS! WELCOME BACK TO SMASHVILLE!
PSN: Lord_CBH / Live: LordCBH / Nintendo Network: LordCBH
#3Hercik1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 4:59:50 PM
Kenaue posted...
I could have sworn its on the third game in the series...
HDN
HDNmk2
HDNV (I think the V stands for victory or something.)

Then again, I've not played them, so I could be off on that number. I have the first one, just never actually put it in. Yet.

I thought V stood for five.
#4IChangedMyNamePosted 4/1/2013 5:04:34 PM(edited)
It is on its third entry, either TC is attempting an very unfunny April fools joke or he really doesn't know anything about the series and saw the 'V' and instantly thought it was really 5.

V stands for Victory in the games title.

As for an honest answer to the TC's last question, No, the series is crap and this is coming from someone who was actually excited to buy the first entry. Its like those animes who's only appeal are bare breast and upskirt shots with dirty humor.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#5Hercik1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 5:26:24 PM
IChangedMyName posted...
It is on its third entry, either TC is attempting an very unfunny April fools joke or he really doesn't know anything about the series and saw the 'V' and instantly thought it was really 5.

V stands for Victory in the games title.

As for an honest answer to the TC's last question, No, the series is crap and this is coming from someone who was actually excited to buy the first entry. Its like those animes who's only appeal are bare breast and upskirt shots with dirty humor.

I see thanks I haven't payed attention to it the series until today I saw ign review with all the comments saying the guy was stupid for giving a low score. But if what you say it true it's what I feared. So thanks.
#6Justice98405Posted 4/1/2013 5:47:57 PM
"As for an honest answer to the TC's last question, No, the series is crap and this is coming from someone who was actually excited to buy the first entry. Its like those animes who's only appeal are bare breast and upskirt shots with dirty humor."

I wouldn't go THAT far with describing the series from what I've played (most of the first game, and I've got MK2 on my shelf for when I'm done with it alread) so far.

The concept is actually really cool and interesting. The characters are somewhat annoying, but at the same time, they're each pretty distinctive and they have some good dialogue over parts of the game.

Gameplay is QUITE archaic in a number of ways (which I hear MK2 makes big improvements on, which I'll find out for myself soon enough) and through it all, the game has JUST enough interest and charm that it's been not horible to play through.

If you have enough interest in the game, I'd say pick up the first one for 20-30 if you can get it for that price. Otherwise maybe go right to MK2, which I hear is very do-able, or maybe just skip the series totally.

Lastly I'll say for my own purchase (I bought 1 and 2 together on a sale for the hell of it), while I haven't had a great time with the first game, I haven't STOPPED playing it, and I don't regret my purchase.

Oh, one last thing actually, the whole 'only worthwhile for upskirt shots and dirty humor' I TOTALLY disagree with that statement that was made. The game is NOT focused only on those elements, not at all. A lot of the humor is making fun/paying homage to elements of videogames in general (and specific game references) as well as the game industry as a whole. And the characters aren't TOO over-sexualized, there's games that are FAR worse than this series at that.
---
To the mattresses.
PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#7Soldier3rdClassPosted 4/1/2013 5:59:08 PM
Has to be better than Ar tonelico Qoga which I do regret buying.
---
2500K @4.5Ghz // GTX 680 SC SLI // 8GB RAM // Extreme3 Gen3 Mobo
SteamID: SmurfyD
#8IChangedMyNamePosted 4/1/2013 6:01:27 PM
Justice98405

Your probably right, I was just severely disappointed with my purchase. I didn't enjoy the combat or characters but the idea was indeed interesting at first but the constant juvenile innuendos and sketchy stills just eventually drove me away.

The first thing I think about when anyone ever mentions Neptunia series are things like Ikkitousen or Queens Blade anime series which also gave me that same feeling.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#9Hercik1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 6:25:00 PM
Justice98405 posted...

If you have enough interest in the game, I'd say pick up the first one for 20-30 if you can get it for that price. Otherwise maybe go right to MK2, which I hear is very do-able, or maybe just skip the series totally.

So since I have gamefly should I do the first one or the second. Cause right now the only other games are Tomb Raider, sly cooper, gears of war judegment, and Luigi's mansion. I would like a rpg to add to the list when I looked up this series.
#10ace_spades111Posted 4/1/2013 6:29:26 PM
nah the title of the third game is dumb. I also got confused, since i stopped paying attention to the series