This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do so many people have trouble looking at a game objectively?

#31SigmaHacielPosted 4/3/2013 12:13:28 PM
deprofundis442 posted...
If you want to answer subjective vs objective, you can't generalise and both sides have to agree on definitions. You have to be specific. Story overall is subjective and control schemes and what have you. But if you ask specific questions, like "do the controls respond immediately?" that's measurable and objective. Something that remains subjective, such as game design itself, can still be referenced with as much objectivity as possible. If both sides agree that a typical game design class is a way of measuring good to bad design (especially if based on human response studies) then you might be able to make an argument. It all depends.

This guy gets it.

The biggest problem is, when related to games, we don't have Standards.

We THINK we do, but we change those standards every chance we get. What "qualified" as "good X" before no longer does because we went up a gen, etc.

Once we have these standards, we can say "yes or no" to whether a specific thing has them.

And THEN we can let our bias out. Every review should honestly have some bias. It lets us know where the reviewer is coming from. But, the bias shouldn't interfere.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#32theshovellerPosted 4/3/2013 12:23:50 PM
Hell, even the standards aren't standard. What one person calls a broken game, another person calls a game with extremely easily abused mechanics, but is relatively bug-free. If a game was truly "broken," it would result in a "kill screen," a la Pac-Man's.... what was it, level 255? 256? The game literally, absolutely "breaks" at that point, as it is unable to be finished.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#33digitalwill2000Posted 4/3/2013 12:26:01 PM
TC, the word you were looking for was either

1. SUBjectively

2. "Why doN'T"
---
Internet Troll = Someone who attempts to aggravate online.
GameFaqs Troll = Anyone with an opinion...
#34kirusuPosted 4/3/2013 12:27:56 PM
SuperShadowAce posted...
People are dumb and they act dumber when what they say isn't tied to their real name. Also gaming forums are filled with 13-year olds.

that explains some of the fanbase.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3aacvZJeK1qb1m9to1_500.gif
my my it appears i have made an error.
#35atma6Posted 4/3/2013 12:31:26 PM
It isn't about subjective vs objective. It's about exaggeration.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#36ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/3/2013 12:55:58 PM
theatrical_cat posted...
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
Alltra posted...
theatrical_cat posted...
Because it's impossible to be objective about anything. That's part of the human condition; we're all hopelessly and irreversibly biased.

Pretty much that. Objectivity is an ideal, an abstract concept, and not something that's actually achievable. As far as I see it, anyone who is trying to be objective is pretentious.

What's pretentious about attempting to look at things without bias? We may never completely get there but it's something positive to strive for.

People should just embrace their bias without getting offended or defensive if someone has a different conflicting bias. Falsely thinking you're being objective will make you think you're right about something, and when someone else says differently, you feel like you can safely say they're wrong because you know you're right. Trust me, I do it all the time and I really should stop.

Honestly, I prefer subjective reviews. It feels more honest and I get a better feel for how I should look at a game. Hearing different viewpoints on games can help me put them in a new light and treat them differently.

Fair enough. Good point.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#37ChaoticKnucklesPosted 4/3/2013 12:59:58 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
deprofundis442 posted...
If you want to answer subjective vs objective, you can't generalise and both sides have to agree on definitions. You have to be specific. Story overall is subjective and control schemes and what have you. But if you ask specific questions, like "do the controls respond immediately?" that's measurable and objective. Something that remains subjective, such as game design itself, can still be referenced with as much objectivity as possible. If both sides agree that a typical game design class is a way of measuring good to bad design (especially if based on human response studies) then you might be able to make an argument. It all depends.

This guy gets it.

The biggest problem is, when related to games, we don't have Standards.

We THINK we do, but we change those standards every chance we get. What "qualified" as "good X" before no longer does because we went up a gen, etc.

Once we have these standards, we can say "yes or no" to whether a specific thing has them.

And THEN we can let our bias out. Every review should honestly have some bias. It lets us know where the reviewer is coming from. But, the bias shouldn't interfere.

Another good point.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.