This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone else hate when a RPG switches protagonists?

#1dthomas125Posted 4/2/2013 11:29:37 AM
I don't mind changing from one game to the next (DA:O to DA2) but I don't like when they change the protagonist during the same game. I'd much rather have the same character from start to finish. I also don't mind if I'm switching out characters of a party, as long as the main character remains constant.

I tried ACIII (never played any AC's prior) as soon as I was getting in the flow with Haytham, they switched him out for the Native American Boy. It was such a turn off for me that I returned it without going any further.

I only bring this up because I was playing an old NES rom (Dragon Warrior IV) and they switched the protagonist from chapter 1 to chapter 2. I didn't realize this happened way back in the NES days as well. I kinda thought it was a new concept.

Just wondering if anyone else doesn't like this idea as well.
---
PSN - dthomas125 - "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis
#2SieKensouPosted 4/2/2013 11:33:05 AM
if it's done well in the storyline etc, i don't mind it.

and what's so bad about learning how to play as a new character?
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#3PHEEliNUXPosted 4/2/2013 11:33:44 AM
SieKensou posted...

In RoAW series, I don't like it
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#4namethatno1usesPosted 4/2/2013 11:34:06 AM
Kingdom Hearts 2 spoilers ahead.

Roxas was a great protagonist. Someone you can relate to. Then you just randomly switch to the less interesting clown shoe'd Sora. I feel sorry for anyone playing that and not knowing about it.
---
Every time a masterpiece like Nier comes along, we get 100 boring shooters. Life's unfair. - simonstrane
#5dthomas125(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 11:37:12 AM
SieKensou posted...

For me personally, I just like starting from scratch with a character, building him up, and completing the game. I don't know why exactly, but I feel like I want to connect with the person for the entirety of the game, not get comfortable with them, and then switch to someone else.

I can understand why some people would like it, I just don't.
---
PSN - dthomas125 - "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis
#6seafoamwinterPosted 4/2/2013 11:38:38 AM
namethatno1uses posted...
Kingdom Hearts 2 spoilers ahead.

Roxas was a great protagonist. Someone you can relate to. Then you just randomly switch to the less interesting clown shoe'd Sora. I feel sorry for anyone playing that and not knowing about it.

That's not even spoilers... spoilers for the KH series is more like
Xion is a puppet based on Sora's memories
---
Formally seafoampheonix
#7SieKensouPosted 4/2/2013 11:42:05 AM
dthomas125 posted...
SieKensou posted...

For me personally, I just like starting from scratch with a character, building him up, and completing the game. I don't know why exactly, but I feel like I want to connect with the person for the entirety of the game, not get comfortable with them, and then switch to someone else.

it's not that i like it or don't like it.....

i guess it's difficult to explain to you.

if the character is tossed into prison and you are forced to use a different character to free this first one, is that so bad?

if a character suddenly dies by story and you are forced to use a second character to carry-on with the ongoing plot, would that be so bad?

again, if they are poorly done, i can understand not enjoying them... but if they are done well, why is it affecting you so much?.... shouldn't you just enjoy the story that's being told to you? and learning a new character is nice as well. especially if the game didn't flesh out either character's movesets etc... it prevents the game from being stale.

another thing is sometimes, games force you to use other characters so that you can make a well thought-out decision later on when you have to decide who you want to use for specific legs of the game.
---
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#8dthomas125(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 11:49:30 AM
SieKensou posted...
dthomas125 posted...
SieKensou posted...

if the character is tossed into prison and you are forced to use a different character to free this first one, is that so bad?

if a character suddenly dies by story and you are forced to use a second character to carry-on with the ongoing plot, would that be so bad?

again, if they are poorly done, i can understand not enjoying them... but if they are done well, why is it affecting you so much?.... shouldn't you just enjoy the story that's being told to you? and learning a new character is nice as well. especially if the game didn't flesh out either character's movesets etc... it prevents the game from being stale.

another thing is sometimes, games force you to use other characters so that you can make a well thought-out decision later on when you have to decide who you want to use for specific legs of the game.

I don't mind it if it is in a game with a "party system."

For example, old PS game "Conflict: Global Terror" when one of your 4 main characters gets kidnapped and you get a different member. But when it's a 1 player, 1 person game it's different for me personally. It would be like all 4 of your party members get kidnapped and replaced with 4 new members.

Like I said, I just don't like it at all, but could understand if someone did. In a way it may provide the illusion of 2 (or more) games in 1 when you switch protagonists, but for me it just annoys me.
---
#9y000012500Posted 4/2/2013 11:52:37 AM
The one thing I hate in games are time skips. AC2 did it at the end and you suddenly are a master with the brotherhood back. It just causes confusion and makes you feel disconnected from the character you've been with the whole game. Bioshock infinite does it at one point.

I just hate that feeling of not knowing what happened durin a time skip. At least when important things are happening.
#10SieKensouPosted 4/2/2013 11:55:49 AM
dthomas125 posted...
SieKensou posted...
dthomas125 posted...
SieKensou posted...

I don't mind it if it is in a game with a "party system."

For example, old PS game "Conflict: Global Terror" when one of your 4 main characters gets kidnapped and you get a different member. But when it's a 1 player, 1 person game it's different for me personally. It would be like all 4 of your party members get kidnapped and replaced with 4 new members.

Like I said, I just don't like it at all, but could understand if someone did. In a way it may provide the illusion of 2 (or more) games in 1 when you switch protagonists, but for me it just annoys me.

i say it's all in the execution and scriptwriting. as well as the whole design o fthe game. if they made it properly, it shouldn't give you a feeling of disconnect.
---