This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

All right, JRPG fans... what's a good PS3 gateway drug?

#1GradyHooverPosted 4/2/2013 11:58:59 AM
I love action-RPGs like the Ys franchise. Anything like that on PS3?

I don't really like my games to go on forever and ever in length. Do any RPGs on PS3 stay under 40 hours at the maximum?

I love how beautiful FF13 and Ni No Kuni and Time & Eternity look. Are any of those easy enough/simple enough to serve as a gateway drug?

I think the Hyperdimension Neptunia games sound like they have a hilarious premise, but a lot of users on here say they're either crappy games or they sexualize underage girls. if I'm new to the genre, would I be turned off/overwhelmed/creeped out?
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#2PHEEliNUXPosted 4/2/2013 12:04:02 PM(edited)
Eh, Disgaea 4 is probably the "longest" game that can keep you occupied and addicted for a long time

HDN Series are good, Play Victory if you are going to decide to play it, Well, It depends on what you consider creepy
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#3ShinXaguraPosted 4/2/2013 12:03:48 PM
If you love good growth systems then try Disgaea 3 or Disgaea 4.
---
To fight is to live. To live is to fight.
#4GradyHoover(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 1:41:40 PM
PHEEliNUX posted...
Eh, Disgaea 4 is probably the "longest" game that can keep you occupied and addicted for a long time

But that's actually part of what I'm trying to AVOID...

I have such a backlog. I've grown to prefer shorter games.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#5mogar002Posted 4/2/2013 1:43:31 PM
Then JRPGs aren't what you are looking for. Try FPS.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i.imgur.com/gcqrYXl.jpg
#6GradyHoover(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 1:44:28 PM
mogar002 posted...

So JRPGs are ultimately longer than Western RPGs across the board? Played plenty of Western RPGs that clock in at 40 hours or under, as I asked. But I guess all the good JRPGs are longer than that?
---
#7DoctorCrabMDPosted 4/2/2013 1:48:00 PM
I'm sure a bunch of people are going to say I'm wrong and possibly spazz, but JRPGs are only "longer" due to pointless fetch-quests and the like.

From my experience, most JRPGs are actually like 20-30 hours long. But add in all the fetch-quests and other pointless stuff and they can get ridiculously long.
#8Eternal_StrikePosted 4/2/2013 1:48:06 PM
GradyHoover posted...
mogar002 posted...

So JRPGs are ultimately longer than Western RPGs across the board? Played plenty of Western RPGs that clock in at 40 hours or under, as I asked. But I guess all the good JRPGs are longer than that?

pretty much.
#9mogar002Posted 4/2/2013 1:48:10 PM
Valkyria Chronicles is probably the only one under 40 hours.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i.imgur.com/gcqrYXl.jpg
#10superbowl54Posted 4/2/2013 2:00:42 PM
Neptunia Mk2 is pretty short, (can be beaten in about 20-25 hours on a first playthrough) the story is the worst in the series though.
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC