This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Digital distribution sales grew 33% this year

#21RollingCradlePosted 4/3/2013 11:00:16 AM
Physical is like dinosaurs, DD is so much better and far more convenient, hate having a million dics all over the place that can be scratched or stolen or subject to laser/drive failure on the console, blech!
#22YoshiMan123Posted 4/3/2013 12:29:47 PM
ThePuddingMan posted...
And it's no coincidence that the obesity rate is also on the rise. People are too damn lazy to not only leave the house to buy a game but can't even be bothered to put down the Pringles and put a disc in their console any more. Probably don't want to get the potato chip grease all over their games. Might accidentally knock over their Mountain Dew while they're trying to catch their breath after a trip from the couch to their game shelf.

You're an idiot.
---
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone."
PSN: YoshiMan123; GT: Vizxyn
#23theshovellerPosted 4/3/2013 12:31:11 PM
king_madden posted...
I saw an oversized man roll into gamestop on his rascal, and buy a game.

check and mate.

Why are they called "rascals," when they aren't young and don't move particularly fast and / or get into trouble?
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#24nclrwntrPosted 4/3/2013 12:38:36 PM
doraemonllh1989 posted...
hk7111 posted...
I prefer digital for the most part. i prefer to not have to bring a bunch of discs with me if i go somewhere.

*look at ps4 compatibility with ps3 games

NOPE.

What does that have to do with the price of bread? The fact that ps3 games aren't compatible with the ps4 has nothing to do with the format of the media. It has to do with the ARCHITECTURE of the two systems. Nice try though.
#25BurgerTime79Posted 4/3/2013 12:49:55 PM
And this whole topic just proves the fact that the people who insist on buying digital games don't want physical buyers to get anything, and just want to insult anyone who thinks differently than them.
You can take your rude stereotyping and insults, and just not post them at all Shinboxer. I swear there isn't anything you actually like, because most of your posts are negative towards someone or something.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#26RafedxPosted 4/3/2013 1:02:10 PM
Travarkas57 posted...
At a GDC 2013 panel, game industry sales analysts from iResearch, the NPD Group, and Digi-Capital presented data about not just the game market in the US, but worldwide, demonstrating the speed at which the industry is transitioning to digital sales. Across the European Union and North America, digital content sales across PC, mobile, and consoles are growing at a rate of 33-percent year on year.

According to the gathered groups, $14.8 billion was spent on games in the U.S., and a full 40-percent, $5.9 billion, was spent on digital game content. Within that break down, digitally distributed games and DLC only account for about $2.2 billion. Lumped into the total though are social games, which generated just $544 million, and mobile games, which generated $2.1 billion. There’s also the more than $1 billion generated by subscriptions to games like World of Warcraft included in the breakdown. While digital game sales grew the most in 2012, even subscription sales, which many assume are dying out, grew nearly 13-percent.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/research-groups-lay-bare-the-differences-between-american-and-european-gamers/

I'll always prefer Physical. I'll never transition!

(Stands on house swinging arm)

Of course they have to count online only games including subscriptions, social games and mobile games. I wonder what the numbers would be like if they only counted full retail games (Where you have the option to get a physical copy) and not anything else that is internet only.

As far as DD goes, I am on board for it totally, but I just cannot justify paying the same price for a digital copy when I can go down to the store and buy a physical copy with a manual(some insert) and case for the same price. If DD was say %10 - %20 cheaper in every instance I would be totally sold. To be honest it would take less time for me to drive to a store rather than wait for a full game download to be finished so there really is no incentive in my case other than cost, which is rarely lower than its physical counterpart it seems.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#27Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 4/3/2013 1:04:03 PM
Well Sony finally got their act together with sales and pricing. If you own PS+ that is.
#28theshovellerPosted 4/3/2013 1:05:13 PM
About the only thing I got a decent number of digital games on is my computer, because I can simply back them up with a physical media disc. GOG.com, if they ever went under, I'd need to download all the installers and burn them, then that problem is solved. Steam, they supposedly would let you should their service expire (but given how big they are, I don't think I need to worry about that anytime soon.)
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"