This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which one is worse, FFXII or FFXIII?

#31TehAssasinPosted 4/4/2013 4:07:53 AM
FFXII is a step in the right direction in terms of world design as well as many other aspects like battle system and mature plot. Overall it is a good, ambitious game especially for a last gen console. It also inspired Xenoblade Chronicles, an amazing JRPG for the Wii.

FFXIII? Sure many like it, some absolutely adore it. To the vast remaining others including myself, it's a major let down. It's the first HD console Final Fantasy made for the current generation console, yet it was riddled with numerous questionable game design and annoyances. I wouldn't even mind as much if it just ends there. No, Square Enix had to build a "trilogy" around it. Nobody expected or wanted a sequel for it, but they want to prove that they can rectify all the things people complain (as well as obviously cashing in quick $$) via a sequel, which arguably worse than the original.

If that isn't enough, we are getting another sequel. TWO sequels to a iffy installment to the franchise. It's seriously frustrating when titles like Versus XIII are nowhere to be seen after like how many years, six? Seven? All the Bravest instead of the localization of Bravely Default, Type-0 being only in Japan, screwing up Aya Brea and the Parasite Eve series, as well as abandoning all of their popular franchises like Chrono and Musashi. Not to mention FFXIV being a disaster. It not only create a ton of losses to the company, but also halting any other plans for other titles that we would much prefer to have.

I'm sorry this has become yet another rant about Square Enix, but it happens. Hopefully the new president will truly change things up.

Yea, FFXII >>>>>>>>. FFXIII.

I will give credit to FFXIII for its (somewhat fun, but honestly flawed) combat, beautiful graphics and musics, but everything else just didn't click for me.
#32majin nemesisPosted 4/4/2013 4:10:28 AM
TehAssasin posted...
FFXII is a step in the right direction in terms of world design as well as many other aspects like battle system and mature plot.

it's only a step in the right direction in aspects like battle system if you want to make bad battle systems
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#33a gPosted 4/4/2013 4:14:19 AM
FF12 has a great world to explore filled with things to do. FF13 is the complete opposite.
#34AnthonM2Posted 4/4/2013 4:40:23 AM
People really hate FFXII? it was great.
#35IHeartMetroidPosted 4/4/2013 4:53:17 AM
"People really hate FFXII?"

It's too different for some people.

FFXII is a well-designed game that's polarizing. You can *dislike* the game, the story or the mechanics, but it's silly to claim that it's *poorly* designed, because it's not. The only poorly made things in the game I can see are the lack of New Game +, the silly idea to randomize chest contents for important items/weapons, and a certain long stretch near the end of the game.

Unlike FFXIII, which was just a dirty sock.
---
Currently ignoring 5 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#36TehAssasinPosted 4/4/2013 4:56:51 AM
majin nemesis posted...
TehAssasin posted...
FFXII is a step in the right direction in terms of world design as well as many other aspects like battle system and mature plot.

it's only a step in the right direction in aspects like battle system if you want to make bad battle systems

IZJS improved the battle system, unlocking all gambits early in the game. It works well in open world environment as it's seamless. The gambit setup also makes the battles intuitive and effective, not just a gimmick.
#37KOTRsssPosted 4/4/2013 5:02:19 AM
FFXIII was worse, but even if the story was terrible, it was at least more interesting than the blandness of FFXII's story.

Still, FFXIII was worse on the whole.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#38IHeartMetroidPosted 4/4/2013 5:18:17 AM
" it was at least more interesting than the blandness of FFXII's story"

** FFXIII spoilers **

Well that's your opinion, and I disagree.

Running through a single hallway at the urgings of an ancient loli and fighting a bird-pope-giantfacething for no real reason at all does not make for "interesting" storytelling to me.

** End FFXIII spoilers **
---
Currently ignoring 5 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#39KOTRsssPosted 4/4/2013 5:19:16 AM
If you're trying to imply that the gameplay in FFXII facilitated storytelling any more than the gameplay in FFXIII, you are wrong.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#40majin nemesisPosted 4/4/2013 5:20:58 AM
TehAssasin posted...
majin nemesis posted...
TehAssasin posted...

IZJS improved the battle system, unlocking all gambits early in the game. It works well in open world environment as it's seamless. The gambit setup also makes the battles intuitive and effective, not just a gimmick.

how does it make the battle intuitive when the game plays itself?
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage