This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Most over-rated over-rated game?

#1supreme darPosted 4/4/2013 2:07:43 AM
For me it must be Final Fantasy 7. I enjoyed Golden Sun much more. I think it must have been a game that was great for its time, and if I would have played it then I would have been blown away.

But playing it after some many other great RPGS have been released is a hard pill too swallow.
---
Using guides or walkthroughs is NOT cheating
#2kupo1705Posted 4/4/2013 2:13:00 AM
Your favourite game.
#3HolyMcmolyPosted 4/4/2013 2:14:19 AM
Either Dark Souls or Final Fantasy VII. Both are massively overrated.
#4kaiser ryuPosted 4/4/2013 2:26:58 AM
At this time I'd call FF7 one of the most underrated high profile games given just how much criticism is constantly levied it's way by pretty much everyone and their dog. It's a highly competent and imaginative RPG with an enduring cast of memorable characters and an interesting, if poorly conveyed, plot that suffers from subpar graphical fidelity 15 years after it's release. Yet this game, mechanically average to above average and otherwise above many others in creativity and polish in it's time and even today, is often treated as an object unworthy of any love.

I honestly can't stand how the term overrate is abused. It's supposed to come with connotations of some objective quality in a thing which has been appraised too highly by a large group but it's become synonymous instead with "I failed to enjoy this subjective material and in the new context of the internet allowing for my psyche to be exposed to every opinion on a matter ever, cannot grasp how a subgroup of humanity has managed to do just the opposite as I have."

I do ask this in all honesty: What objectively viewable qualities of FF7 fall short of the contemporary ratings given to them? Who are these shadow people out there still calling FF7 visually more impressive than it actually is? Who is saying the writing or storytelling is flawless? Who is rating this game in any quantifiable manner over which you feel it is deserving? Who? All I see is a fanbase tired of trying to rationally support a game they liked among other games against a near constant outcry of "overrated" for 15 years. The war's over. FF7 is just liked now. The rabid fanboyism of the late 90s died with Zubaz pants and mullets.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#5BeknessPosted 4/4/2013 2:29:36 AM
But playing it after some many other great RPGS have been released is a hard pill too swallow.

Name them
---
BB<3BB 18.9.2011
No you bad
#6OEIO999Posted 4/4/2013 2:30:04 AM
Journey, although I find it odd people actually consider it a good GAME.
MGS4
#7RipGutEBKPosted 4/4/2013 2:46:18 AM
Final Fantasy VII you had to play it when it first came out it was amazing. If you try to play it for the first time in 2013 the graphics are hard to get over. Great game
#8Trailblazer34Posted 4/4/2013 3:14:20 AM
Can I have one answer in these overrated lists that doesn't feature tired bashing of ####### ffvii? It's tired and boring. There are tons more interesting RPGs ffvii just had the advantage of an actual marketing budget and the hype train. Gahhhhhhhhhh bruuuuuugah (screams)
#9Pharsti01Posted 4/4/2013 3:18:07 AM
Ill go with Xenoblade.
#10IamthekuzalolPosted 4/4/2013 4:09:27 AM
Most overrated game ever would obviously be FF7.