This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Most over-rated over-rated game?

#81Godly_GoofPosted 4/5/2013 9:11:08 AM
kilaude posted...
PhaseSlaethe posted...
The only thing FF7 brought to RPGs were cinematics.

And we did fine without those.

So you can stop acting like FF7 broke any ground. We had better RPGs before FF7 came out.

It did break grounds in 1997. If you don't want to see it, than that's your problem/opinion.

We had very good/amazing rpgs before ff7 came out. A lot of them were better? Not at all.

Ummmm unless it was your first RPG ever it didnt break anything lol.

And Mother, FF1-6, SoM, FE, SMRPG, Lufia series, all say hi.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#82DakhanavarXPosted 4/5/2013 9:16:00 AM
kaiser ryu posted...

I honestly can't stand how the term overrate is abused. It's supposed to come with connotations of some objective quality in a thing which has been appraised too highly by a large group but it's become synonymous instead with "I failed to enjoy this subjective material and in the new context of the internet allowing for my psyche to be exposed to every opinion on a matter ever, cannot grasp how a subgroup of humanity has managed to do just the opposite as I have."

This all day, every day. I've said multiple times that overrated now means, "I don't agree with the popular opinion, but clearly mine is the one that is correct."

About the only thing overrated is the use of the word overrated to describe things that people don't like as much as someone else nowadays.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#83HabefietPosted 4/5/2013 9:24:13 AM
JerichoDarkstar posted...
Habefiet posted...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/65878059

As seen from the topic that I made for the very purpose of responding to this topic:

As of this post 15.79% of respondents have declared Final Fantasy VII the best game of all time. Over 40% think it's in the top ten and over 60% think it's in the top thirty.

Now obviously this is the PS3 board, so there's gonna be some Sony-esque bias, but people with more experience with other consoles visit here too. Based on these results it is apparent to me that the massive love for FFVII still persists and that the repeated instances of Link v. Cloud and FFVII v. OoT in the grand finals of GameFAQs bracket contests for best game/character of all time would happen again today.

The fact is that a massive amount of people, right now, today, consider FFVII or OoT the best game of all time. That alone is enough for me to say they're overrated.

Are you serious? You made a “scientific” poll to address how much people “overrate” FFVII on the PS3 board just to prove me wrong, and then you say the results are flawed or bias. I’m sure that if most people voted it was the best game of all time, you would said the “experiment” was foolproof and that it was proof you were right. Fact is, most people voted, “No, and it is not among my personal favorites,” opposite to what you predicted.
Everyone needs to get over the fact that FFVII is not overrated. Anyone who thinks that it is, is either (1) unfamiliar with its content and quality of the game per its time, (2) haters that are just gonna hate, or (3) trolls that just won’t stop trolling. Just because FFVII gets a lot of praise does not justify people claiming its overrated.

Uh your reading comprehension seems low.

--I argued that the poll was biased IN FAVOR OF FFVII. As in. That the results showed MORE people saying it was the best than there probably are. If 100% of respondents had said it was the best, I'd have discounted it as trolling.
--Saying "most" people said "No" is misleading. That's the most popular answer, but it's not most respondents. More than half of respondents (AKA most) pegged it as one of the best games of all time.

I don't hate the game. The game is ****ing great. I will defend it from people who say it is mediocre or lame.

My point is that if you have a substantial portion of the gaming population saying ANY one game is the best game of all time (which in the cases of FFVII and OoT, YOU DO, as evidenced by my little baby poll but also, as you are patently ignoring, the GameFAQs contests that garnered hundreds of thousands of responses), that game is overrated.
#84JerichoDarkstarPosted 4/5/2013 9:30:26 AM
Habefiet posted...
Uh your reading comprehension seems low.

--I argued that the poll was biased IN FAVOR OF FFVII. As in. That the results showed MORE people saying it was the best than there probably are. If 100% of respondents had said it was the best, I'd have discounted it as trolling.
--Saying "most" people said "No" is misleading. That's the most popular answer, but it's not most respondents. More than half of respondents (AKA most) pegged it as one of the best games of all time.

The blatant point is that only a few people thought it was the best game ever. Most didn't. That defeats the purpose of you poll. Most people thought it was a great game, but not the best. My reading comprehension is just fine.

I don't hate the game. The game is ****ing great. I will defend it from people who say it is mediocre or lame.

My point is that if you have a substantial portion of the gaming population saying ANY one game is the best game of all time (which in the cases of FFVII and OoT, YOU DO, as evidenced by my little baby poll but also, as you are patently ignoring, the GameFAQs contests that garnered hundreds of thousands of responses), that game is overrated.

Everyone needs to understand this:

(1) The value of a game is determined by amount of enjoyment and satisfaction it gives to its clients. Because FFVII obviously done that well, the rating for the game and the value match up nicely. Therefore, this definition of "overrated" does not and cannot fit it.

(2) Overrated can also be subjective. This war of "overrated vs not overrated" cannot be settled here on Gamefaqs.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#85HabefietPosted 4/5/2013 10:14:43 AM
stuff

Can we just establish something quick here--

Do you believe it is possible for something to be overrated? If so, can you cite an example of something you believe to be overrated? Because it seems like your own criteria make it impossible for anything to be overrated, in which case we just disagree on the semantics of the thing and should abandon further discourse RE: FFVII/OoT particularly and just focus on what "overrated" means as a concept.
#86JerichoDarkstarPosted 4/5/2013 10:22:29 AM
Habefiet posted...
stuff

Can we just establish something quick here--

Do you believe it is possible for something to be overrated? If so, can you cite an example of something you believe to be overrated? Because it seems like your own criteria make it impossible for anything to be overrated, in which case we just disagree on the semantics of the thing and should abandon further discourse RE: FFVII/OoT particularly and just focus on what "overrated" means as a concept.

Overrated - appraising a person, place, or thing at a worth not consistent with its actual value.

Value - the worth, importance, or usefulness of something to somebody

In this context, it is almost impossible to label something as overrated because something might be overrated to you, but not to someone else. In order to evaluate something as "overrated," you would have to get a majority consensus that an item has been appraised at a worth not consistent with its actual value. You cannot do this with video games. It's impossible. If you don't like or agree the appraisal of FFVII, that doesn't make it overrated.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#87chaosflame108Posted 4/5/2013 1:07:04 PM
Demon/Dark Souls no freaking contest. Those games are complete ass, but everyone is so blind and hails them as lord and sovereign.
---
I AM SATANAIL. HE WHO SHALL SET RIGHT THIS DISTORTED UNIVERSE!!!
#88SigmaHacielPosted 4/5/2013 1:07:36 PM
chaosflame108 posted...
Demon/Dark Souls no freaking contest. Those games are complete ass, but everyone is so blind and hails them as lord and sovereign.

Yeah no.

FF7 stands at the top, no contest.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#89UnderratedGamerPosted 4/5/2013 1:26:40 PM(edited)
DarknessXSeeker posted...
FFVI is hands down the most overrated, people complain about FFVII's graphics well look at VI's graphics. I know FFVII is not the best game of all time, but it's stupid to deny that it was one of the best games of it's time. And atleast half the time the people that bash the hell out of VII are VI fanboys.

You're an idiot. Most FF fans that complain about VII are actually the ones that came after. And anyone that dislikes VI never has a good solid reason for disliking it. You make it even worse by pulling the graphics card on a 2D game.

Go on a FFX or FFXIII board and see how many "FFVII is overrated" topics.

Now go on the FFIII (SNES) board and tell me how many people claim say that FFVII is overrated.

Yeah that's right, none. Some of the most civilized groups of people that ONLY talk about the game, and really nothing else.
---
Regardless of what anyone says, everyone in the world is an Agnostic considering what we truly know.
#90SigmaHacielPosted 4/5/2013 1:19:24 PM
UnderratedGamer posted...
DarknessXSeeker posted...
FFVI is hands down the most overrated, people complain about FFVII's graphics well look at VI's graphics. I know FFVII is not the best game of all time, but it's stupid to deny that it was one of the best games of it's time. And atleast half the time the people that bash the hell out of VII are VI fanboys.

You're an idiot. Most people that complain of VII are actually the ones that came after. And anyone that dislikes VI never has a good solid reason for disliking it. You make it even worse by pulling the graphics card on a 2D game.

This.

And no argument FOR FF7 holds any water, because there are games before and after FF7 that did the job of being a competent RPG MUCH better.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.