This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Japanese Gaming Industry Recovering?

#1Travarkas57Posted 4/4/2013 1:01:37 PM
Not sure if this was posted, but for those interested:

[From an interview with Keiji Inafune]

The long and the short of it is that Inafune thinks that things are improving in Japan, but not by much. “I hope Japanese game developers are breaking through the stagnation,” he told IGN. “However, the reality isn’t as good as I want it to be. I see they’re starting to be aware of the problem and that they have to do something. They know they have to learn more from western games and create games that’ll sell more in the western market. However, they don’t know what to do or how to do it.”

“Even worse, their pride gets in the way, preventing them from learning from overseas developers. As a result, they end up staying in the domestic market rather than going global.”

“Overseas media have been asking the same question for a long time; is Japan’s game industry okay? Are Japanese brand games dead? The fact they’ve been asking these questions for a while is because they care and they’re worried about it,” Inafune admits.

“So we much appreciate the fact that the world is concerned, however, [Japanese developers] still don’t really get it. Some developers are saying [the] Japanese game industry is still doing fine, but that’s wishful thinking. Words are not enough, we must act and prove it. Unless at least a few titles from Japan make it to the top 10 games of the year worldwide, we won’t prove it.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/03/is-the-japanese-gaming-industry-recovering
---
T r a v a r k a s 5 7 was here!
Happy Gaming!
#2agrissaPosted 4/4/2013 1:05:02 PM
What Japan needs to do is STOP Westernizing their games.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#3ScreamingMidgetPosted 4/4/2013 1:05:35 PM
agrissa posted...

Truth.
#4ShineboxerPosted 4/4/2013 1:05:43 PM
No, they we be gone soon enough.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#5PolishCockatielPosted 4/4/2013 1:08:19 PM
I dunno. There are always those lovely little gems such as what Atlus develops and publishes.

Then again there are things like DMC, Resident Evil, and various other titles that went from festering wounds to full blown brain cancer.

Soooo yeah...
#6majin nemesisPosted 4/4/2013 1:08:53 PM
yes they are recovering not sure from what though
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#7Godly_GoofPosted 4/4/2013 1:09:55 PM
Considering that NA and EU see maybe 10% of the games released in Japan even though many of them WOULD have a market over here they just don't get localized I don't really see what they would be hoping to accomplish by making them more western.

Especially since the bigger localized series are the heavy J games like SMT for example. More westernized stuff like FF have been getting worse reviews and stuff like MGS is still just MGS.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#8PolishCockatielPosted 4/4/2013 1:10:36 PM
agrissa posted...

Or not 'westernizing' but.... trying to draw in the 'CoD crowd'? RE6 was short of the projected sales by millions and can be found easily for $20 as much as at least 2 months ago.
#9MegaMettaurPosted 4/4/2013 1:22:08 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
Considering that NA and EU see maybe 10% of the games released in Japan even though many of them WOULD have a market over here they just don't get localized I don't really see what they would be hoping to accomplish by making them more western.

I don't think developers consider such a niche audience as a "market". Look at the Tales series. It has a fan base in america, but since not many people actually buy the game, Namco doesn't care to try anymore. Even though there are tons of Tales games people would buy (especially Hearts)
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#10Travarkas57(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 4:36:12 PM
Bump.
---
T r a v a r k a s 5 7 was here!
Happy Gaming!