This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Japanese Gaming Industry Recovering?

#61SigmaHacielPosted 4/8/2013 7:34:15 AM
I'm glad Twingold is using his opinion, because that was a painful read.

J Sasaki posted...
I don't think Japanese companies can ever get back to the glory days of the 1980s and mid-1990s.

One reason is western preference for killing games; Japan is a pacifist country. Another reason is western expectation of having a fair chance at every obstacle. Western gamers don't seek perfection through iteration in the same way as Japanese gamers and Japanese companies in general. Dying 30 times before you beat a boss might've been a badge of honor in 8-bit era, but nowadays it just pisses you off if you're a western gamer.

People in the west expect to have all necessary information for success given to them everywhere they go because the accessibility of technology has increased exponentially over the past 20 years, ie the people designing and developing electronics have had to make the easily understandable to a lot more people. This area is where Japanese developers lag behind. RE6 is a good/bad example even though I like it.

Sort of this.

But does anyone else get the feeling Japan is trying more to ween their population off of games and anime and such?

Almost all of the anime this season is HORSE ASS. Another 12 anime about school, and a few about idols, and ALL of them about little girls. This CAN'T be the demographic interest of Japan.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#62TwinmoldPosted 4/8/2013 7:35:57 AM

Truly insightful.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#63SigmaHacielPosted 4/8/2013 7:38:31 AM
Twinmold posted...

Truly insightful.

You compared DmC to Ni No Kuni.

If you want to compare apples to potatoes, go ahead. But why should anyone craft a response that you pretentiously believe is worth reading when you can't even come up with valid comparisons?

You also label anime as having age requirements instead of ratings, as if anime for "young" people will contain no "mature" themes.

I'm not going to generalize every Eastern game as following these tropes, and I'm not even going to get into gameplay because that's a whole different bag. Just in terms of creating new, and interesting worlds, filling them with characters you want to know more about, and then topping it off with some A class presentation, many Western games are falling short.

---
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#64TwinmoldPosted 4/8/2013 7:47:29 AM

I compared the cinematography in Ni No Kuni, to the cinematography in DmC as an example of the styles you tend to see. Don't rush off to being butt-hurt so fast and you may actually comprehend a thing or two.

You also label anime as having age requirements instead of ratings, as if anime for "young" people will contain no "mature" themes.

No, I said that anime is written for a younger audience. This is true. They may have mature themes, like dealing with death and other themes, but the way they deliver it is not mature. Make sense? Mature themes, delivered in a manner that younger audience will understand, usually by throwing lots of melodrama in there so that there's no chance anybody will get left behind.
---
#65SigmaHacielPosted 4/8/2013 7:51:33 AM
Twinmold posted...

I compared the cinematography in Ni No Kuni, to the cinematography in DmC as an example of the styles you tend to see. Don't rush off to being butt-hurt so fast and you may actually comprehend a thing or two.

No, I said that anime is written for a younger audience. This is true. They may have mature themes, like dealing with death and other themes, but the way they deliver it is not mature. Make sense? Mature themes, delivered in a manner that younger audience will understand, usually by throwing lots of melodrama in there so that there's no chance anybody will get left behind.

And yet, cinematography is reliant on the context of the game. Ni No Kuni didn't need to be falsely dynamic because NNK wasn't trying to stay crawled up its own ass. The presentation of NNK felt like an attempt at being a Ghibli movie-turned-videogame. And it worked.

And no it isn't. Psycho Pass, Ghost in a Shell, Cowboy Bebop, etc is NOT for "younger" audiences unless Japan's "younger" audiences are more mature than America's "mature" audiences. As horrible as it is, even My Little Pony delivers mature messages. So again, you are just being Tameem. Enjoy that.
---
#66TwinmoldPosted 4/8/2013 7:56:03 AM
So again, you are just being Tameem. Enjoy that.

Lol, done.
---
#67NessaJ_TuNPosted 4/8/2013 10:06:41 AM(edited)
SigmaHaciel posted...
Twinmold posted...

And yet, cinematography is reliant on the context of the game. Ni No Kuni didn't need to be falsely dynamic because NNK wasn't trying to stay crawled up its own ass. The presentation of NNK felt like an attempt at being a Ghibli movie-turned-videogame. And it worked.

And no it isn't. Psycho Pass, Ghost in a Shell, Cowboy Bebop, etc is NOT for "younger" audiences unless Japan's "younger" audiences are more mature than America's "mature" audiences. As horrible as it is, even My Little Pony delivers mature messages. So again, you are just being Tameem. Enjoy that.

Pretty much this, Mawaru Penguin Drum, Kino's Journey, Madoka Magica, Gungrave, Black Lagoon, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Eden of the East are no way aimed for younger audiences and frankly most Japanese games don't feel like good anime. they more feel like a generic crappy anime, which two completely different things, dialogue wise they are far cheesier, their character development is always very inconsistent, their story are pretty much sucks, so talking like Anime is only for younger audiences is simply showed that you have no idea what are you talking about, go watch some good animes and come back to me before making such stupid statement.

Story wise good animes are easily up there with some of the best hollywood movies and TV series, also comparing to blockbuster movie like Transformers, Avengers, Die Hard and Avatar, Animes are way more mature than you think. Eden of The East and Kino's Journey are just a bit example of that and both of them also more mature than most video games ever created from west, just saying.
#68gamestop27Posted 4/8/2013 5:01:51 PM
NessaJ_TuN posted...
When I said games with less praise, awards or sales are not inferior to those that are in excess of the three I wasn't implying they were superior to highly acclaimed titles. It's open-ended, there is no universal good that everyone who plays video games adheres to. Praise, awards, and sales of western games only means a lot of people liked them, it does not mean they are better than eastern games. Games from both regions don't appeal to everyone, so you can't tell someone who is into eastern games that titles from the west(or vice versa) are better because they both specialize in genres and sub-genres that try to accomplish different things.
---
The one weakness of any protagonist or hero-like character is a Cut Scene.~ KaiserNeko