This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Isn't the purpose of gaming is to simply have fun?

#1tissue_paperPosted 4/4/2013 2:32:57 PM(edited)
I mean, what the deal with a lot of gamers (online one that is) feeling the need to be hardcore and look down on mainstream titles?

I respect and recognize games like: Deus Ex, Gran Turismo, System Shocks, Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Virtua Fighters, Marrowind, classic 2D games etc..etc.. and the the amount of depths that they have, but they aren't my kind of games, and I don't have fun when playing them. It's like how I respect certain rock or classical musicians and their talents, but I'm not into their music. I prefer rap/hip-hop.

I much prefer games like: God of War, Uncharted, Halo, Call of Duty, Resistance, Gears of War, GTA, . Basically fast pace games where you just go around killing and blowing stuffs up. Yes, I realize that they are very casual and far away from being the deepest and most hardcore of games, but the thing is that I have a lot of fun playing these games.

Do games have to be deep and hardcore in order to be just, you know, FUN?

And yes, I realize that fun is different for everyone. My point is that is those people have fun with mainstream titles, isn't that enough?
#2the_great_tidusPosted 4/4/2013 2:28:17 PM
some games are just for gameplay, but others tell a story and have more artistic merit. Just like any other medium.. some are for entertainment others have more complex storylines.

You certainly can tell games like MGS2, or Bioshock have mroe to say than games like Tetris, or Mario.
#3zyrax2301Posted 4/4/2013 2:28:17 PM
A lot of people grew up playing difficult/crappy games ya know? That's what is fun to them.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#4PHEEliNUXPosted 4/4/2013 2:28:27 PM
Because Gamers lost the title of a "Gamer" and got "Gaymer" instead
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#5SigmaHacielPosted 4/4/2013 2:28:34 PM
Fun for you isn't fun for me.

/Thread.

But, I will continue anyway -

If gaming's sole purpose is to be fun, it CANNOT be considered an art form. Which it is.

Thus, games are artistic mediums for developers to get across their ideas to us. Their designs. Their thoughts. Their wishes.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#6nihilist212Posted 4/4/2013 2:29:16 PM
I like to have a balance with my games. I enjoy playing RPGs that take hours and hours to complete, but sometimes I just want to fire the system on and kill some s***. I love having a fighting or sports game as well, since I can just put one in knowing I don't have to think for a couple hours and just have a real good time.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#7zyrax2301Posted 4/4/2013 2:30:05 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
If gaming's sole purpose is to be fun, it CANNOT be considered an art form.

Bulls***. Why not.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#8CaptainLukaPosted 4/4/2013 2:30:08 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Fun for you isn't fun for me.

/Thread.

But, I will continue anyway -

If gaming's sole purpose is to be fun, it CANNOT be considered an art form. Which it is.

Thus, games are artistic mediums for developers to get across their ideas to us. Their designs. Their thoughts. Their wishes.

Do you honestly believe every single game is a piece of art?
---
My spell check just had a mental breakdown...
http://i.minus.com/ibhGOcxiSygOh.gif
#9agrissaPosted 4/4/2013 2:31:03 PM
tissue_paper posted...
Do games have to be deep and hardcore in order to be just, you know, FUN?

For me, yes. Casual stuff bore me to tears within 15 mins.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#10dmcd93Posted 4/4/2013 2:31:59 PM
People find different things fun, it's that simple.
---
Garrus is the Greatest bro in gaming.
Devil May Cry 2 is the best 3rd person shooter ever made.