This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My thoughts on the Lightning Saga.

#11ExtremeLight(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 10:31:39 AM
plasticman13 posted...
Actually, I breezed through the entire game using Relentless Assault and the Com-Com-Com paradigm while getting full stars in all of my battles. The only times I changed my paradigms in both games was during boss battles or when I was 'toise farming. Oh, and I have a platinum in both games too.

I don't expect people to change paradigms alot. Just for key enemies.
---
Lightning Returns will surpass 13-2 and become accepted by haters!
Official Noctis Lucis Caelum of the XV board.
#12plasticman13Posted 4/5/2013 10:33:46 AM
plasticman13 posted...
Actually, I breezed through the entire game using Relentless Assault and the Com-Com-Com paradigm while getting full stars in all of my battles. The only times I changed my paradigms in both games was during boss battles or when I was 'toise farming. Oh, and I have a platinum in both games too.

And that right there is the flaw in the battle system.
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#13ExtremeLight(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 10:37:22 AM
plasticman13 posted...
plasticman13 posted...

No really. You can expect to use the same attacks in most FF against similar enemies. But when you come against a different type or groups you change tactics. XIII/13-2 isn't really the only one to do this.
---
Lightning Returns will surpass 13-2 and become accepted by haters!
Official Noctis Lucis Caelum of the XV board.
#14luuk_uPosted 4/5/2013 10:48:34 AM
plasticman13 posted...
plasticman13 posted...

Eh you can mash attack/basic stuff for regular enemy in almost every FF game.
Infact I can't think of a main FF game where you would have to use much strategy for regulars.
#15Shadowblade2Posted 4/5/2013 11:51:43 AM
plasticman13 posted...

How does the game being too easy have anything to do with the quality of the battle system? That's the problem of encounter design. The battle system is XIII/XIII-2 is really great stuff when you actually have to make full use of it like in the Gilgamesh/Snow/Valfodr fights in XIII-2.
---
"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
#16Bronze_StuffPosted 4/5/2013 12:10:30 PM
Shadowblade2 posted...
plasticman13 posted...

How does the game being too easy have anything to do with the quality of the battle system? That's the problem of encounter design. The battle system is XIII/XIII-2 is really great stuff when you actually have to make full use of it like in the Gilgamesh/Snow/Valfodr fights in XIII-2.

Not really. It's just a turn based game on overdrive with asinine amounts of health. It's not great at all. There's nothing that XIII brings that X-2 didn't, and X-2 was better.
---
Jimbo.
#17RobobroPosted 4/5/2013 12:27:59 PM
2.) I tried manually inputting commands in my vain attempt to try and make the battle system not suck and less boring. Still very limited commands, you still could not control your entire party, and there was a time limit. Battle system sucked and lacks strategy.

4. The story was not complicated, but it was very dumb.

7.) I didn't even like the graphics since the art style sucked.

8.) Is the battle system fixed? So, it's now ATB turn based like the classic Final Fantasies that I love? Can you now control your entire party, like you should be able to? 13 is one of the very worst games that I have ever played, so why the F would I want to play the sequel to one of the worst games ever?

9.) Toriyama should be fired.

10.) You just gave a BULLS*** excuse. It's like you've never heard of disguises.

Final Fantasy X has so much more substance and depth than Final Fantasy XIII. That is what makes up for FFX, whereas there are no good excuses to cover up your Sucky Fantasy XIII, which lacked most Final Fantasy elements such as mini-games, exploration, etc.. You're comparing Pacman, a non-rpg to a game that is SUPPOSEDLY an RPG? (hint: FFXIII is not an RPG). There is no excuse to the linearity of FFXIII and lack of gameplay.

If FFXIII is not too easy then how come FFXIII is too easy. Press forward, mash x and R1 to change paradigms to beat game?

My final verdict: I think people who love this game (and I mean love not think it's ok) have crappy reasons for loving. Just because you have no standards or good style of taste and you have never played any of the classic Final Fantasies doesn't mean you deserve to publicly praise it online in the classic Final Fantasy fans face. Call up SE and tell them that you love 13.

Like I think you people love for no reason. No real reason. You just love FFXIII because SE made FFXIII with purdy graphics and streamlined / dumbed down / watered down FFXIII for casual new players who don't want any gameplay in their games. Newsflash: They don't care about you, they are a business. They want the money. They do not put out nice games out there but if you're gonna love it then what the point. 13 is the way it is because the director is an untalented hack. I wish they went back to basic FFX designs, that game was great, especially its fantastic combat. 13 wasn't really a change forwards, it was a change backward. 13 was not the evolution of the series, it was de-evolution; regression. That was a warning. Don't expect any game to go back to FF7, nor don't expect a remake of 7 to be pleasing. You are just gonna hate it in the end, which is both why you and I do not want a FF7 remake.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3o94p9bU81r4lquro1_500.png
#18Shadowblade2Posted 4/5/2013 1:49:08 PM
Bronze_Stuff posted...
Shadowblade2 posted...
plasticman13 posted...

Not really. It's just a turn based game on overdrive with asinine amounts of health. It's not great at all. There's nothing that XIII brings that X-2 didn't, and X-2 was better.

I have a feeling you never played through the bosses I specifically mentioned. The battle system in XIII is much more engaging than X-2's (when fights allow for it). In X-2 the vast majority of the skills you had across all the dresspheres were useless, meaning you were repeatedly using the same main skills over and over. And in most fights, you didn't even have to bother switching dresspheres. Not to mention Catnip trivializes the entire game if you choose to use it.

On the other hand in the XIII games you have various things to constantly assess. Timing attacks for juggles and canceling command strings, buffs and debuffs (and dispels), maintaining the chain gauge, feral links and ultimate attacks. There are also enemies that have different phases, and you need to adjust strategies accordingly. Sometimes you can't debuff or dispel an enemy until a certain point for example, and depending on the fight you have big risk/reward scenarios during staggers. Not to mention the roles were all useful in the games, and promoted switching unlike in X-2 where you had minor gains at best through the grid.

It's just unfortunate the XIII/XIII-2 devs were too lazy to make each fight require any form of strategy and so most people haven't even experienced what the battle system has to offer.
---
"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
#19Chr0noidPosted 4/5/2013 2:14:55 PM
I don't usually say tl;dr because I feel like I should have the patience to read through even lengthy posts but....

GOOD GOD TL;DR
---
I did see a female Orc at Bellethor's General Store, buying a box of Redguards -RAGEface14, in a topic about Orc menstruation.
#20embrandedonePosted 4/5/2013 2:24:21 PM
Fo_Fai posted...
I don't usually say tl;dr because I feel like I should have the patience to read through even lengthy posts but....

GOOD GOD TL;DR

He's hoping Lightning will reward him for his vehement defense.

As for you, TC, I'll grant you that FF13 is pretty...very pretty. But it's all style and no substance. Also, remove your sig...you're just embarrassing yourself. If you wanna predict you're going to buy it, fine, but making prediction for others based on what little information we have is just low enough to make me lose faith in mankind's capacity for intelligence.
---
Attacking someone's user level is a last defense for the weak and impotent