This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Amazing Spider-man vs Web of Shadows

#1Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 4/4/2013 11:39:28 PM
Is there any difference to the free roaming in the two? I had WoS years ago for the PC and thought about getting it for the PS3 because I loved just being able to swing around the city, then I saw a review for ASM and it looks like it has the same mechanic just with better graphics. Am I right or would I be disappointed? Also can the character be played with the traditional red and blue costume instead of the silly 2012 movie costume?
#2Final_TranPosted 4/5/2013 8:35:58 AM
The character can be played with the Traditional Tobey Maguire Costume only if you purchase a DLC.
---
No don't eat me, I have a wife and kids, eat them!
~Homer J. Simpson
#3harcoreblazerPosted 4/5/2013 8:38:09 AM
I liked Web Of Shadows, though i admit that it can get repetitive, i also found swinging around the city hard, don't know why.

To be honest the game is mostly a rental.
---
Starting a flame war is easy, the hard part is ending it.
#4Dirk_McHardpeck(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 8:40:40 AM
Final_Tran posted...
The character can be played with the Traditional Tobey Maguire Costume only if you purchase a DLC.

Where does one purchase the DLC for that? I checked the PSN store for ASM and found 4 DLCs, but none of them mentioned the classic costume, only something called the "Vigilante costume".
#5Final_TranPosted 4/5/2013 10:07:08 AM
Dirk_McHardpeck posted...
Final_Tran posted...

Where does one purchase the DLC for that? I checked the PSN store for ASM and found 4 DLCs, but none of them mentioned the classic costume, only something called the "Vigilante costume".

If you purchase A DLC, meaning any DLC, you get Tobey's suit automatically unlocked.
---
No don't eat me, I have a wife and kids, eat them!
~Homer J. Simpson
#6GradyHooverPosted 4/5/2013 10:22:54 AM
Is there any difference to the free roaming in the two? I had WoS years ago for the PC and thought about getting it for the PS3 because I loved just being able to swing around the city, then I saw a review for ASM and it looks like it has the same mechanic just with better graphics. Am I right or would I be disappointed? Also can the character be played with the traditional red and blue costume instead of the silly 2012 movie costume?

The swinging's actually different. In WoS, you actually have to attack your webs to something physical in the environment, and that also determines the direction of your swing. But in ASM, you can web-sling by simply shooting your webs upwards from anywhere without worrying about real physics - I guess he attaches his webs to passing helicopters and planes if he has to?
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#7DocDeliciousPosted 4/5/2013 11:02:59 AM
Better question would be ASM vs. Spiderman 2.
In fact, every Spiderman game should be compared to SM2.
---
Disgaea 4, Siren: Blood Curse, Rayman Origins, Grand Theft Auto IV, Vanquish, Need For Speed: MW 2012, Urban Trials, Monster Hunter FU
#8Dirk_McHardpeck(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 11:10:17 AM(edited)
GradyHoover posted...

The swinging's actually different. In WoS, you actually have to attack your webs to something physical in the environment, and that also determines the direction of your swing. But in ASM, you can web-sling by simply shooting your webs upwards from anywhere without worrying about real physics - I guess he attaches his webs to passing helicopters and planes if he has to?

I don't remember that in WoS. I remember that you couldn't web swing over the park presumably because there were no buildings to attach webbing too. And I remember that when you weren't over the park you swung in whatever direction the web was going but I don't remember having to aim the webbing at specific buildings or even ever seeing where the webbing attached to. Maybe it's just been too long since I played it.
#9GradyHooverPosted 4/5/2013 11:17:34 AM
GradyHoover posted...

I don't remember that in WoS. I remember that you couldn't web swing over the park presumably because there were no buildings to attach webbing too. And I remember that when you weren't over the park you swung in whatever direction the web was going but I don't remember having to aim the webbing at specific buildings or even ever seeing where the webbing attached to. Maybe it's just been too long since I played it.

I guess I didn't explain it very well, but you're correct.. you don't have to aim the webs in WoS. He does that for you, but it's always based on there being an actual structure nearby, and then the web sort of inherently gifts you a drift-pull towards that structure. You can't swing over the park unless you're swinging REALLY low so you can hit the trees. But in comparison, ASM lets you swing over anything without worrying actual physical attachments. So you can swing right over said park, the the gentle "drift-pull" is gone. Not sure if this explanation is actually an improvement or not... but I'm trying.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#10Dirk_McHardpeck(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 11:37:56 AM
GradyHoover posted...
I guess I didn't explain it very well, but you're correct.. you don't have to aim the webs in WoS. He does that for you, but it's always based on there being an actual structure nearby, and then the web sort of inherently gifts you a drift-pull towards that structure. You can't swing over the park unless you're swinging REALLY low so you can hit the trees. But in comparison, ASM lets you swing over anything without worrying actual physical attachments. So you can swing right over said park, the the gentle "drift-pull" is gone. Not sure if this explanation is actually an improvement or not... but I'm trying.

Oh I see. Thanks for that. Yeah if that's the case then I don't think I'd like it. The "drift-pull" is what made it feel so natural in WoS IMO. I also heard there's no aerial combat in ASM, which I always thought was really well done. Too bad WoS is still so expensive. A game that old should be like 10 bucks. not $30.00 still.