This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Western reviewers biased against Japanese games?

#61jrr18Posted 4/7/2013 8:44:48 PM
_tanjil_ posted...
if you wanna be all conspiracy theory then critics only give good scores to those who pay them, otherwise the reviews should be honest

Anyways so many people on gamefaqs act like Japanese games get low scores, when it's generally just JRPGs getting the low scores. Then the JRPG fans will assume it's hate, but the same reviewers used to give JRPGs from the PS2 era good scores and handheld rpgs are still getting good scores.

Do people ever stop to think hey the quality of these games aren't what they used to be let alone improving anywhere besides graphics? HDN, Atelier, most things hat are IF, NIS, Gust are mediocre classic JRPGs. NIS's saving grace is the Disgaea series. But yeah it's because majority of the JRPGs that come out are from these guys, so that's why you see these scores.

If Atlus and Level 5 pumped out more RPGs, you be seeing great scores. I wish the guys who made Shadow Hearts didn't go bankrupt. That was an amazing series as well.

what has level 5 done with good scores this gen besides ni no kuni? both the white knight chronicle games got average at best.
---
Victory over the leprechaun werewolves through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#62Devilman_AmonPosted 4/7/2013 9:06:54 PM
wstfld posted...
Only in the weeabo's mind. They are unable to comprehend how someone couldn't give a 10 to every game that is produced by the master race.

Says you holding your lifesize loli pillow in a sleepover with Shinboxer and TheWarHorse watching a Powerpuff girls & My Little Pony marathon and reading new Bioshock Infinite loli manga
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#63poolmav2007Posted 4/7/2013 9:27:17 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
Some probably are.

But to generalize the whole is to be the biggest moron on the planet.

This.
---
---
Cheers! Arc the Lad 2 is still my No. 1.
#64SagovicPosted 4/7/2013 9:38:54 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
wstfld posted...
Only in the weeabo's mind. They are unable to comprehend how someone couldn't give a 10 to every game that is produced by the master race.

Says you holding your lifesize loli pillow in a sleepover with Shinboxer and TheWarHorse watching a Powerpuff girls & My Little Pony marathon and reading new Bioshock Infinite loli manga

But why do you attack him? Why do you need to resort to ad hominems?

The guy does have a point, maybe the "weeabo" parts sounds offensive, but he managed to say in few words the reality in this situation.
---
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
#65YukitoRamboPosted 4/7/2013 10:22:10 PM
I've been reading reviews for a long time, and I gotta say that yes, they are.

Not saying they're racists, but they are more likely to knock down scores for a perceived negative aspect that they won't care about in Western games by the excuse of 'it's still fun' or 'it doesn't detract from the experience'.

...On the other side of the Pacific, Japanese reviews are pretty much the same story. Unless of course we're talking about certain famous publications that knowingly skew their reviews for favors(Famitsu, yeah you, I don't even know why some morons still think you're credible at all when you're like the IGN of Japan).

The only reviews that I see less bias of are the ones like the South East Asian publications. Perhaps it's because their culture is different from either Japanese or Western, and they have had equal exposure to content from both sides.
---
"...Winning is of little consequence. What's important is communicating through one's fists."
GFWL tag: DoraemonJerlun
#66agrissaPosted 4/7/2013 10:24:22 PM
Sagovic posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
wstfld posted...

But why do you attack him? Why do you need to resort to ad hominems?

The guy does have a point, maybe the "weeabo" parts sounds offensive, but he managed to say in few words the reality in this situation.

Because wstfld is a known troll. Calling others weeaboos and attacking Japanese games is all he does on here.
---
DMC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DmC
#67LightRukiaPosted 4/7/2013 10:24:37 PM
what has level 5 done with good scores this gen besides ni no kuni? both the white knight chronicle games got average at best.

You could count DQ9 if you're not looking for just console exclusives. That's the only other RPG I can think of that they worked on this gen that got many good scores.

I don't understand why Level 5 didn't just want to make a DQ game for consoles (yes I know about DQ10 so I'm talking about a single player one).
---
http://i.imgur.com/3pdnu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mH6dQ.gif
#68Seifer_usPosted 4/7/2013 10:33:14 PM
I find the claim that Famitsu "inflates" review scores for Japanese games to be highly dubious at best. Most games reviewed in Famitsu do quite poorly, often earning 26-28/40. Meanwhile, Famitsu has given 38-40/40 to western games like The Elder Scrolls and Call of Duty. I wouldn't suggest criticizing Famitsu when your point of view is framed entirely by anecdotal evidence from a few web sites. If you were part of their regular readership you'd notice that they hand out a LOT of bad scores on a regular basis.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#69thisranksPosted 4/7/2013 10:43:57 PM
I think the problem stems from the abnormal thought processes of the regionally challenged. Any review written that includes a regional view is automatically biased seeing as caring about what region a game comes from isn't a necessity to enjoying it. So my answer is if you see a J or a W included with the genre it's going to be biased anyways no matter the region of the reviewer.

Some western reviewers are going to be biased BECAUSE they think eastern/western, but i do think there are reviewers out there who remember gaming isn't about worrying about what region a game comes from but how fun it is and the enjoyment factor.
---
She blinded me with region ....
Yuki Nagato, Mafuyu Oribe, Kurumu Korono, and Himari Noihara FTW
#70the_great_tidusPosted 4/7/2013 10:46:45 PM
Western reviewers are corrupt. Pretty much every Japanese franchise got trashed this Gen. Meanwhile crap like call of duty. Skyrim and halo get free passes.